Newbie needs help

Hi, Zack here.

I have a few questions and a request, if anyone is willing to help.

1. Does Florentine or Duel Wielding give you any weapon proficiency? or do you have to have, say, one handed edge, to use a weapon at all?
2. What works good for adventure pants?
3. When the book says charging someone, does it mean like a bull rush? or a dash attack? (Doing a dash attack I don't think I'll make any body contact.)
4. Is it appropriate to post your email? or should I just use private messaging? (p.s. I got no friends to PM)

My request, Is if someone could please send me the campaign history? and maybe a recent major event in the world? I'm trying to make my character, and put together a simple, yet stylish costume (It's gonna double as a Halloween costume. :lol: )

Also anything else a noob like me needs to know that's not covered in the book.

I hope to join you people soon at your next event! (if its not to far away)

Thanks in advance!

1. Does Florentine or Duel Wielding give you any weapon proficiency? or do you have to have, say, one handed edge, to use a weapon at all? You need a weapon skill like One Handed Edged or One Handed Blunt distinct from the Florentine and Two Weapons skills. They are not weapon skills in and of themselves, they're enhancements to how you are allowed to fight.
2. What works good for adventure pants? Wrap pants are cheap to buy or make. I am a big fan.
3. When the book says charging someone, does it mean like a bull rush? or a dash attack? (Doing a dash attack I don't think I'll make any body contact.) "Charging", as defined by the book, is moving in such a way that your opponent must back away to safely engage you (and yes, this would include actually bowling them over). So, moving too close for them to safely and legally strike you would be charging, as would jumping in their way as they try to run past you. Similarly, if someone is chasing you and you stop suddenly and without warning, you're probably charging them.
4. Is it appropriate to post your email? or should I just use private messaging? (p.s. I got no friends to PM) Whatever works for you.

Currently, there's no campaign packet available yet. It's one of those things that keeps getting put off while the plot team writes the events up and works things out. I expect one to be available by January - we'll see how the intervening weeks and holiday season treat my hopes. A good resource for getting a feel for the world are the In-Game and Out-Of-Game Newsletters.

Something that I've come to realize over time is that an adventuring group is really the fantasy version of a SWAT team. Make sure you've got lots of pockets/pouches, make sure you have somewhere to put your swords when you're not fighting, and make sure you can move in it freely. Also, be sure that you can eat and go to the bathroom without a huge hassle. I find wrap-pants too cold, and prefer things that are like BDU pants. If you've got stuff over them (knee armor, upper thigh armor, a tunic that covers to mid thigh, etc) they don't really look anachronistic. (And if they're black, they're awesome for NPCing!)

Definitely agree with the pockets theory. Also add a pouch or two for holding specific items like potions or scrolls you use frequently. This makes using them on the fly easier. as for holding weapons, you can get some broom clips from home depot (ones that hold it to the wall) and make it fit on a belt to hang off your hip or back (hanging off your back is a pain to get weapons in and out of on the fly.)

Whats the most commonly used weapon style?
Follow up question, whats the most uncommon weapon style?

I'm hoping the first one is not duel wield. (I want to use two short swords)
When I see photos or videos I see lots of sword and board and a mix of others. When ever I see someone duel wield there ether really bad, or really good.

I hear lots of tips like...
Go sword and board!
Don't use two handed weapons!
Never attempt duel wield, unless you know what your doing! Even then reconsider.

and stuff like that.
any other tips weapon/fighting wise?

I will say that the most common weapon styles I have seen in Oregon is dual wielding, and sword and board. Not a lot of people seem to use blunt, or polearms. I myself use a two handed sword, and I am happy with it, but I am certainly in the minority for such.

Are the duel wielders at events any good? (hard to fight?) I saw some combat videos and the ones there don't seem to use the full potential of two swords. (at least what I've heard) I'll never know for sure till I go. I just want a semi outlined idea of what goes on, what peoples average skill level is, and most of all figure out how to stand out above all the "Average" players. Make my mark as it were.

The reason you might not want to post your email address is if you're afraid of spider bots adding it to their spam lists. Personally, there are a number of places my email addresses are available in machine-readable format on the Internet, because if I change my behavior, then the terrorists have won.

There are enough dual wielders that it's a range of ability. As far as making your mark, I would say the best way to do that is through role play, not OOG combat prowess. There are players who are known to be very good stick jocks, but in general, they developed that reputation playing several characters with several fighting styles. "Zack was very good with dual shorts" is never going to make somebody's "favorite moments" list after an event, though. The time you challenged the pacifist to a duel, or the time you ran up behind enemy lines to give one of your downed buddies a curative potion, or the time you told off the local noble for making irresponsible decisions and nearly got executed, or the time you ran into a monster hole to die in a blaze of glory rather than withering away with a wasting disease, or the time you had a serious conversation about morality that grew the characters involved. Those are things that will get you remembered.

We have people who fit pretty much all levels of experience- people just starting out to decade-plus of experience in the game. Alliance fighting styles can be pretty different from other games- for instance, "power" of blows doesn't matter and hitting people harder than necessary for them to feel the blow is not allowed. Speed is pretty important, generally, in Alliance-style fighting. Since fights tend to be very fast with light weapons, styles that encourage speedy swings are therefore more popular- you'll see more sword/board and duel wielding and far less 2-handed, polearm, staff, etc.

How to stand out- create a character with a unique, interesting backstory who is helpful-- at least outwardly! you can certainly be a sneaky/backstabby character, but it helps if you can get some people to trust you and think you might be a "good guy" first! Having a good costume helps too. Be openminded about your character- you generally can't step into the game and be the best at everything, you'll start out low level, skills-wise, so think about how you want your character to progress and then work for that in the game. You can gain political power without having martial power, if that's something that floats your boat. That's also something you'll have to work for in the game. Overall, have goals for your character and then work on those goals every game. You'll be driven and always have something interesting to do and talk to other players about. Get involved as much as possible- go out of your way to RP and ask for Plot information from other players (both PC and NPC).

Hopefully that's helpful, and welcome to the game! I hope to meet you at the game in February!

-Carmen

Thanks for those gold nuggets, and words of wisdom.

I don't think I'll be that great at combat starting off. I might not even that great at RP because its in person. I'm not generally a social person, but this will help me come out of my shell. Ironically the character I want to play is very similar to me, not very many people (maybe no one) knows exactly who I am.

I hope thru this I'll make some friends in and out of game.

If you want to look for me Ill be the guy in mostly black with a sword (one for now) strapped to my back. and a sleeveless long coat with a hood (I know its silly but its awesome!) And slightly spiked dark brown hair.

This is the character I'm striving for right now

Name: Zabram (Z-a-bram)
Race: Human (I know...)
Class: Fighter
I expect my armor to be from 3-7 depending if the martial likes my costume.
Skills
One Hand Edged
Read & Write
First Aid
(2 extra Build points)

I plan on getting Florentine and Two weapons at once and just aim for Crit and Weapon Prof. (hoping that the damage combined with hard skill if any will work for a good build)
RP as a semi serious (I can get very passionate about RPGs) but slightly laid back guy who is searching for meaning in life. His (My) first main goals are to find at least one person willing to help/show the ropes, and quest with.
The Personal history is a work in progress but tips would be nice. :D
The reason for me playing mostly me is, I'm tired of playing someone else most of my life :( .
p.s. Reading the gypsy description I don't think I'll really get along with them... There a bit to... Crazy :wacko: ... At least from what I read.

*grins*

And you'll want to look for the High Ogre with the facial fuzz. That'll be me. Stick around me and you're sure to get into trouble we can't handle!

Maxvell d'Irons.

Punching giant ants in the face since his first game.

ZackeryBranham said:
p.s. Reading the gypsy description I don't think I'll really get along with them... There a bit to... Crazy :wacko: ... At least from what I read.

You, sir, have offended me greatly. I am NOT... *snort* CRAZY. *snooty look* I am barking mad. Please. There is a difference.

;D

Well, it's nice to meet you OOG, since you'll probably loathe my character IG, then. She's pretty freaking crazy. ((And no, I'm not actually offended. ^___^))

People fight with all different styles, sword/board and dual are both pretty common. Whatever combat videos you were watching probably weren't Alliance combat. Every LARP system is different. A lot of the combat videos that are out there aren't representative of things that are allowed or styles that are effective in our system. Basically, you're watching soccer videos then going to play football. Some of the fundamentals are helpful, but most of it isn't going to be much use. This is pretty true of people who come from other systems or have played in a 'backyard with friends' sort of game, too. The best way to be any good is to practice.

That said, here are some vague answers:
1) Assume that you're not going to be very good coming in. No one is awesome their first time, and the people that are awesome have been playing for many years. Make sure that you have a reasonable set of expectations.
2) The people that are really good are really good. Furthermore, people tend to fight with a style that they're good at, so even an 'average' fighter is 'above average' with their 'usual style' more often than not. Your goal as a new player shouldn't be to come in and try to be the best at one thing right away, it should be to come in and try to figure out how you'll have the most fun. If you're specifically interested in combat, NPC your first game, that way you'll have a lot of exposure to different combat styles and different aspects of the game. After you've figured out how to have a good time, then work on your skills.
3) The "average skill level" is a misnomer. The average player has been playing for a couple years or so, so they've had a couple of years to improve their skills. A new person is basically below that level by default, since they don't have the experience. Sometimes new players come from other games or have done some fighting and they pick up the system and techniques pretty fast, but I'd wager that for the first few hours at least, even a really experienced person from another game is below the "average skill level" until they understand how our system is different from their previous system.
4) Don't try to 'make a mark' by attempting to be good at something the first time you try it. You're way more likely to be known as "That guy who was trying to hard." Make your priority having a good time and learning the system. Really, nobody cares who's better than who, and everyone is there to have fun. We're not playing a game you can 'win,' so don't make that a goal.
5) There's no reason (not) to use a style because of how popular it is. There's upwards of 80 people at these games, not doing something because 10 people are already doing it will run you out of styles really fast.

Basically, meet the people, learn the game, practice when you can, and have fun. Being "good" is pretty secondary.

Seriously, don't worry about the "style" you use too much. As soon as I build the sonofagun I'm going to be a two handed swordsman. EVERYONE keeps trying to talk me out of it, but I don't care. I know it's a style I enjoy, and that's what matters. My first game, as a fighter... I had one handed edged. No other combat skills. I fenced.

No.
One.
Fences.

It was glorious. Being able to squeeze in a line and dart in and out to bop people while the sword/boarders were grabbing attention was great. Have fun, be in character, and let the RP flow through you.

ZackeryBranham said:
I don't think I'll be that great at combat starting off. I might not even that great at RP because its in person. I'm not generally a social person, but this will help me come out of my shell. Ironically the character I want to play is very similar to me, not very many people (maybe no one) knows exactly who I am.

I hope thru this I'll make some friends in and out of game.

I'm actually a pretty introverted person myself but I think you wouldn't really know that from meeting me in the game. Honestly, this game has helped me come out of my own shell and to be more assertive in real life as I learned to do those things as my character. Playing a character can make the stakes "lower" for trying out more risky (to you) social situations. I'd encourage you do stretch and try things that you in real life don't exactly feel comfortable with. I swear, it'll be fun!

Totally fine to play a character that's like you- many people's first characters are a lot like themselves. I think the more you play the character the more you'll find aspects of them that are different than you and you can then expand the character to enhance those differences (if you want to, that is).

As to friends, we're all pretty darn nice out of game (some of us are playing not-nice characters or are "barking mad" IG). Don't worry about asking questions if you don't understand something, we all do like talking about this hobby of ours. : )

-Carmen

If you have questions about making your character, or writing your character's history, you can always e-mail the Oregon plot team: oregonplot@gmail.com and we'll be more than happy to help you out, give you tips, and get you into the game world in a (hopefully) more meaningful way.

:)

-Adam

They were Alliance LARP videos, but from the other side of the country.
I don't pretend to be good at what ever it its the subject is now(I pretty much suck at everything in my opinion).

I hope I can stick to it and get to the first game that pops up next. I'm ridiculously eager to play now(Ready to get my rear handed to me).

Can hardly wait... :D

Back