Of Templars and Religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladin_(character_class) is the top link on the disambiguation page.

Toddo: the Holy Light, as used by Priests, isn't religious?
WOW's Paladin frontpage said:
This is the call of the paladin: to protect the weak, to bring justice to the unjust, and to vanquish evil from the darkest corners of the world. These holy warriors are equipped with plate armor so they can confront the toughest of foes, and the blessing of the Light allows them to heal wounds and, in some cases, even restore life to the dead.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/class/paladin

Scott: I agree with you, but it has come up in conversations I've had with new players. I always explain exactly what was discussed here, and it settles the issue, but it has come up. It's certainly less of a concern than someone using religiously themed curse words in character out of habit, and I doubt that's ever going away.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
It's certainly less of a concern than someone using religiously themed curse words in character out of habit, and I doubt that's ever going away.

:funny:

Yeah, that happens often enough.

"Look at the size of that orc! Jesus Christ!"

"Who?"

:thumbsup:

I stumbled upon a pic the other day from an old Ravenholt event at Camp Wing, 91 or 92, and a guy in the background is wearing that exact same Templar symbol. I was going to post the link to the Facebook page, but it for that "other" game.

Just found it interesting 20 some odd years later this is being discussed...

It's certainly less of a concern than someone using religiously themed curse words in character out of habit, and I doubt that's ever going away.

I am trying to change over to 1 simple word. Nuts.

Scott: I agree with you, but it has come up in conversations I've had with new players. I always explain exactly what was discussed here, and it settles the issue, but it has come up. It's certainly less of a concern than someone using religiously themed curse words in character out of habit, and I doubt that's ever going away.

I think this is key. We have to explain the nuances of almost every rule to new players. Reading a rulebook of a game/sport like the one we play will always take additional explanation. It's way easier explaining, say, football rules when you are standing on the field with other players and the coach than just thumbing through a rulebook. And our rules are way more extensive than any sport.

We are NEVER going to have a rulebook that covers every situation. Experienced players need to help newer players. I understand this is obviously tougher on brand new, isolated chapters. But that's what these boards are for and what the owners' board is for.

All in all, I don't see any of this as a huge deal. One player (maybe two) in twenty years has come in with a templar tunic? Granted, it may be a big deal to that individual, but its a situation that can be rectified. Every rules misunderstanding, IMO, doesn't require a rules change.

Besides, I've been playing a templar longer than some of our players have been alive. For realz :lol:

And no "blade <insert other noun" names. My templar uses a mace and new players might think they couldn't use blunt weapons. :lol: ;)

Scott

SkollWolfrun said:

I am trying to change over to 1 simple word. Nuts.

You're going to offend Squirreltologists!

Scott, I agree with you. Last night I had a conversation with someone about this thread, and when they expressed they thought it was... an over-reaction, I agreed, but through out that I didn't get worked up about it because the whole "Templar = religious knight" thing bugged me too, up until I actually played my first event. Then I stopped caring unless I was actively looking for something to complain about.

Review my post on the dead horse kicking. :thumbsup:

"Paladin" does not have its roots in religion except for in Dungeons and Dragons. The word paladin is thought to have first appeared in the Song of Roland.

That's fair, however Templar DOES have only religious meaning, except for the on lawyer thing in London (that doesn't appear in most dictionaries).

From that point of view of the etymology, Paladin would be prefered over Templar. However from the point of view of demographcs, it would actually be worse.

Mike Ventrella said:
Are there Paladins or Templars today? Exactly who would we be offending, then?

Knights Templar where christian, some dictionaries refer to an older judaic sect also (but this is a less common useage). However, since the meaning of the word is steped in religion, it automatically suggests those archetypes (which caused the situation that spawned this thread).

The only people who would be offended would be players who see the class name, form an opinion of their character based on the meaning of that word, and are told they actually can't do that (see my example of naming a class 'Theif' if stealing is actually against the rules.)

Duke Frost said:
And no "blade <insert other noun" names

I agree, but there are many suggestions in here that do not have a weapon category implied. Most of them imply magic, but really isn't that the main reason you'd play this class over a Warrior? (In fact 'Adept' is a little off for the name of that class, since it doesn't really encompass the scope of it, but it dosn't nearly have the loaded meaning that Templar does so I don't think it really needs to be changed.)

This is what I get for being mentioned to this late in the game! :noway:

As to both the symbol and the wording of the class, good to see the former at least smoothed over. I myself never realized much till now it actually had the wedged edges on the cross. I vote for Warsage myself as it's a novel term I have yet to see (yay proposals!) And for the most part I agree so long as you avoid throwing it in people's faces it's not a big issue. Two other thoughts also mentioned earlier;

This is Alliance, all we need is a necromancer ^_~ then we have an undead horse to keep kicking.
Also, international is amusing aye as a 'survivor' of that other Alberta chapter; tis very good to see the bar got raised a lot in comparison of both players and chapter quality for that. I think towards the templar look it's more just minded as part of asethics by plot until as saod here someone submits the complaint.

Just thought I'd like to chip in for some Templar name alternatives:
SageBlade/MageBlade
Warcharger
MageWarrior
BattleWizard

Personally, I don't mind SpellSword myself, but if we don't mind getting off the cuff, there is also -
GrandMaster of Blam
BoomSticker
Sword-n-Thunderer

- Tim.

tazoulti said:
Just thought I'd like to chip in for some Templar name alternatives:
SageBlade/MageBlade
Warcharger
MageWarrior
BattleWizard

Personally, I don't mind SpellSword myself, but if we don't mind getting off the cuff, there is also -
GrandMaster of Blam
BoomSticker
Sword-n-Thunderer

- Tim.

If the templar class was renamed "GrandMaster of Blam," I would spirit forge that very day. Character concept be damned.

Stephen

Back