One team, one fight.

My dreams have been troubled. Not by the usual nightmares no, but by a query.

Now from what I understand, the old empires that once ruled these lands have fallen. And perhaps, considering what I’ve learned of their history, they should not all be rebuilt. But they did create something, these legions, empires, and kingdoms. And that’s solidarity. In their people. From the knights and lords to the last peasant they knew where it was they lived, provided, and died for.
But I think, these feelings have been lost. Just look to how we refer to the land we’re fighting for. The Maelstrom. Carries a connotation with it does it not? That this is a blasted, cursed land. And perhaps it is. But the people resurrecting, dazed, confused, remembering perhaps their last moments. They’re welcomed to the maelstrom. The world as you know it has ended.
Our collective of war fighters, scholars, and healers belong to their own factions. Guilds, houses, knights, I see we all have our banners that we follow and fight under. And that is respectable. I see the many standards, sigils, flags, and houses, and I’m filled with awe.
But when I look around the hall and see the people we’ve brought back and the progress we’ve made and my heart swells with pride.
We have all come to the maelstrom for one reason or another. But whatever the reason, we’ve all shed our blood, sweat, and tears for the sake of making these lands safe and habitable again. So that one day, people may live here again and that so many needlessly lost lives can have a second chance. No matter the house, no matter the lord, this is what we’ve fought for. This is what we, for some reason, the same reason people look at us and see unstable adventurers, have decided is worth coming here and dying for.

This having been said, I feel we need a symbol. A standard. A flag. A banner that, no matter whom or what we serve or answer to, we belong with. It carries no oaths. It carries no bonds. Only the willingness we’ve all shown to fight for the sake of a land and people Fortannis was willing to turn a blind eye to. A favor we could all choose to wear. A flag to hang in the hall and in the streets. Give the people a sense of solidarity again. Give us something to look up and take pride in.

I could just be naive. It’s just a dream.
But when I think of our struggle, I think of all of us. Not just my house. Not just the Scribes. Not just the Knights Ferry. Not just the first people’s pack. Not just the Ashen Spire. All the houses and guilds! But a collective of peoples, that despite colorful personalities, have put everything on the line for the sake of doing some good. I think highly of all of you. And when I dream I see us all standing together under a banner.

Maybe we could all come together and design one? Toss around ideas. And with some team effort, maybe make some flags and banners to hang in the towns we settle and reclaim. And hopefully one day, maybe it’ll wave on the surface.

Respectfully,
-Clerk Fenris Achasse, House Namrik

Last edited:
This sounds like the beginning of nationalism and empire, but that may be what the Maelstrom needs at this point. A monoculture has its uses, and it's true that a bundle of sticks is stronger than a single twig, but drawing these uniting lines must be undertaken with care to what is considered outside of them, and what we do to retain that which is within them.

I suppose I agree with you, and my concerns regarding the future are concerns for the future. Unity is necessary in the present conditions, but what is necessary now may be detrimental to the future if it is not handled carefully and equitably.

Squire Vellis Valeriana Tsalarioth of House Phoenix
Formerly Dominus Mortem of the New Ceriopolis

This sounds like the beginning of nationalism and empire, but that may be what the Maelstrom needs at this point. A monoculture has its uses, and it's true that a bundle of sticks is stronger than a single twig, but drawing these uniting lines must be undertaken with care to what is considered outside of them, and what we do to retain that which is within them.

I suppose I agree with you, and my concerns regarding the future are concerns for the future. Unity is necessary in the present conditions, but what is necessary now may be detrimental to the future if it is not handled carefully and equitably.

Squire Vellis Valeriana Tsalarioth of House Phoenix
Formerly Dominus Mortem of the New Ceriopolis

I agree Squire Vellis. It should be handled carefully and by us all. I hadn’t even considered it as a possible start of nationalism and empire, thinking more along the lines of a battle flag. Something for us and the resurrected militia to rally with. Though your point rings very true.

It may be optimism to consider what effect our actions will have on the land years or decades or centuries ahead of us, but it's a matter to consider. For the time being, I agree with your proposition.

Sq. VVT, Ps.

If simply uniting against a common enemy is all it takes to create an empire, then perhaps such a thing is unavoidable. Perhaps, even, it means that such things are not always the evil we presume them to be.

<Plue's dream form shakes itself, and flickers slightly. A slight greenish haze -- one that was hardly noticeable until its absence -- dissipates. She looks a bit embarrassed, then speaks once more. >

What I mean to say is, I largely agree with Vellis. We do not want to wander blindly down the path that proved so deadly to our predecessors, but I do not think uniting under a common flag as you propose is likely to push us irrevocably towards autocracy. As you say, many of us currently utilize similar icons, for a variety of reasons.

Symbols are powerful, and I believe that something like a flag is an excellent step towards rebuilding a true community in these lands.

(Also: my needle and thread are at your disposal, should the community wish for my service in this manner.)

I am interested in this idea. It is true we all have many factions but no one uniting banner. I would think maybe something like a lantern as we are called lantern barriers. I have also heard rumor of one amongst our ranks that possessed an actual lantern that harnesses hope?

But the question then becomes does something of that nature represent the feeling of those who have recently resurrected. Does something like that resonate with them as well as us. I feel we will have to speak with as many of the resurrected at possible to get the answer. I will have my ink and parchment handy and do what I can to record what others may think on this matter.

I would suggest any who have interest in this do the same. Let us see what sturs the hearts and minds of the masses and reconven in dream to discuss the results.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

*Terren sounds tired and sad*

Everyone who works directly on this please make sure to travel to at least one other land and be checked by both a Stone Elf and a Biata both unaffiliated with this land, ideally of the highest possible powers, before proceeding.

That's all.

In service,
Clerk Terren

Given the participants, I disagree strongly.

Embrawk touches on an important point. We are speaking about two distinct, but overlapping groups. There are the Lantern Bearers, the community of adventurers from many lands across Fortannis who, for whatever reason, find themselves joined to our common cause in the Maelstrom. There are also the Resurrected, those native to this land. And of course, there are those people who count themselves among both groups.

It is important that we only speak for those who wish to be spoken for. It may be that we find uniting these groups under one banner is the course of action the community prefers, or we Lantern Bearers may end up only creating such a sigil for ourselves.

Terren, I understand your caution, truly. But I think the risk posed by this particular activity, in its current form, is low. And as Vellis points out, being overly reliant on mental examinations does risk whatever...issues are present among us being spread even further.

If my participation in this endeavor is a cause for concern, I shall happily step aside.

The idea of all of us uniting under 1 banner is a wonderful dream. But that is all I see it as. Above a few groups were listed, but even within those groups are even more subset of groups. Some of these groups DO NOT work well with others. Some are out for gold, others glory, some a sense of duty to protect those whom can't defend themselves. Whatever happens to bring us together for small spurts at a time also separates us in what our end game really is all about. Until we can have a council of all groups involved each with an equal voice and no intention of betraying one another we will never accomplish this 1 banner idea. If there are any leaders of said groups who wish to speak with me on this matter I would love to engage in a discussion of this topic further.

Sir Tolgar Undershaft, Knight Commander of the Order of Morgan

Thank you for your concern Squire Vellis, but I would hope that people could reasonably guess I do not mean Plue, Fenris, or anyone else who can obviously pass things along or spread things through the mind in my statement. To my knowledge, prior to Delerion's death his influence was never passed on by a victim touching minds with someone else, otherwise it would have passed to Acarthia and Enerret both since I touched minds with people in both locations. Now that he is dead, things are more complicated but his original method could be checked without harm.

I am saying that this is literally what I set out to create originally, and checking a path that we now know with certainty that it can go down is an easy thing to do, particularly since it resulted in the deaths of at least a hundred and the effective enslavement and near death of nearly everyone.

Is it (unifying and fighting together, as together as possible that is) something that needs to be done? Certainly. My mind hasn't changed on that topic. I don't think there would have been such a bloody and horrible retribution for it if it wasn't a path that our enemies saw as dangerous to their efforts.

Last edited:
The idea of all of us uniting under 1 banner is a wonderful dream. But that is all I see it as. Above a few groups were listed, but even within those groups are even more subset of groups. Some of these groups DO NOT work well with others. Some are out for gold, others glory, some a sense of duty to protect those whom can't defend themselves. Whatever happens to bring us together for small spurts at a time also separates us in what our end game really is all about. Until we can have a council of all groups involved each with an equal voice and no intention of betraying one another we will never accomplish this 1 banner idea. If there are any leaders of said groups who wish to speak with me on this matter I would love to engage in a discussion of this topic further.

Sir Tolgar Undershaft, Knight Commander of the Order of Morgan
Sir Tolgar, i understand what you mean. But I do not mean we take the same oaths or have the same goals. Uniting under a single house, council, or order. But one symbol of unity that can bring us closer to the resurrected and create a sense of shared community. We will always, no matter where we are or what we’re doing, have or own goals and alliances for better or worse. But when we all come together to hold a line and defend the civilians as they evacuate, to lead these people and each other into battle, invading the lands of horrors beyond time and space, for the ultimate goal of taking back this land, it’s worth recognizing. We can and have repeatedly unified as one force to be reckoned with. This symbol isn’t one of order, but of hope and unity. Give hope to those resurrected having been told their whole world has ended long ago. Tell them they can join us, a team, to take that world back. We’re not a ragtag group of mercenaries, helping refugees find a warm place to sleep, away from the horrors above, dolling out rations and shitting in a cave. We’re a fighting force with plans, goals, and a means. We may not all share ideals and morals. But we have and will die defending them and to give them their world again. That’s how I see it anyway.

Do we not have an Empress? Her banner is the banner we need to follow.

Consider the different groups (House Phoenix, House Namric, The Adventurers Club, The Order of the Ashin Spire, ect) individual units or detachments within the army. Orders come down from the top and get distributed to the force. The units work together to accomplish the orders. Sometimes you will have to follow the orders of someone you do not like or disagree with or you will be given an order that you do not agree with. Sometimes your commander isn't who you want but more often than not he or she is the commander you need weather you like it or not, but you must follow their orders. There is no time for debate or second guessing. The fate of the entirety of Fortannis is at stake.

I trust in the Empress to lead us.

General Baron Sir Marcus Husarri Seaphis

I agree with you General Baron Sire Marcus. The Empress is the person to unite us. I believe what our friend here is saying is that he wants us to have something that travels with the groups in all the lands we enter to let people know hey we work together. However what I don't think he has done his research on is the old natives of this town are very much an Army unit. If it is in fact you intent to make those that have been brought back something to rally behind they already have it. If you want to show them that we are a fighting force they can trust then prove to them we are worthy of their trust. Follow the orders given from up top. Don't run around doing stupid things that endangers others because of personal greed. Report to those above you what you learn to help the spreading of information. This is how you accomplish what I believe you seek to do.

My concern is, if the Empress is the uniting force you believe her to be, why are we having this conversation? Why do we not feel more united?

Perhaps for those of you who are deemed worthy to sit on her War Council, that unity is already present. But those of us in the rank and file are left in the dark, apparently not important enough to be informed of our situation or what has been decided.

I swore an oath to fight for these lands, as did many. The very least the Empress could do is tell us what we are facing, and why. But she is silent, and distant. If our aim is to rally everyone to a common cause, this is hardly the way to accomplish it.

We need communication between all those who take up our fight. No one is unimportant. No one should be neglected. A flag won’t fix this, not on its own, but working together towards this small goal is a good start.

I can not speak for the Empress about who she is, how she acts and why she acts that way as that is above my station.

What I can tell you is that changes are being made in how things are being communicated. However, do understand that change takes time and will happen in a defined chain of command.

Since I have been, in your words, deemed worthy to sit on the War Council I do have a better than average understanding of what is going on and what we have to work with. Do understand that it is not common practice to have a general discussion about a battle plan nor is it common practice to open that plan up to debate. There must be operational security to prevent our plans from falling into the hands of our enemies. I have seen that happen more times than I care to remember.

I do not disagree with you about communication. I feel exactly the same way. However, communication is a two way road and last I checked there are many others who refuse to communicate. I ask for information constantly and surprisingly more often than not my requests for information are ignored or I am given the "I will see what I know" and then I hear nothing. This, in my opinion, is worse than being ignored because the person has actively decided to not provide needed information for whatever reason.

I have been informed that you recently had some experience dealing with a military situation in another land. I would be interested to hear on how that went.

Also, since you and I seem to agree on the importance of communication, I extend an offer for you to join my battle staff. However, since you are part of the Adventurers Club, a Clerk and Apprenticed I would wonder if those commitments would allow you to do so. If you are able I urge you to contact Squire Vellis who will arrange a meeting.

Respectfully,

General Baron Sir Marcus

I agree with you General Baron Sire Marcus. The Empress is the person to unite us. I believe what our friend here is saying is that he wants us to have something that travels with the groups in all the lands we enter to let people know hey we work together. However what I don't think he has done his research on is the old natives of this town are very much an Army unit. If it is in fact you intent to make those that have been brought back something to rally behind they already have it. If you want to show them that we are a fighting force they can trust then prove to them we are worthy of their trust. Follow the orders given from up top. Don't run around doing stupid things that endangers others because of personal greed. Report to those above you what you learn to help the spreading of information. This is how you accomplish what I believe you seek to do.
I care not for something to show off. What I care for is a sense of community and perhaps a little brevity from the constant horrors and tribulations that have brought spirits low. And from what I’ve learned of these empires in ruin, they are gone. These resurrected, from whom I’ve spoken with, feel like refugees. And I can’t blame them for that.
As for what you all are on about with the Empress being who we follow, I’ve no qualms with her. But I’ve seen little interaction with the rest of us. Now you and the baron ask us to just listen to those above our station? Last I checked, I swore no oaths to anyone but my house. And I serve the empress in an effort to help the common good. But I will admit, there has been a lot of us feeling we are being used by others “above us” as means to an end and nothing more.
I very much agree with Plu. That is how many of us rank and file folk have felt. This whole council, orders, what have you has been alienating most of us and left a feeling of disorganization where information is shunned due to coming from “no one important” and it has led to misinformation, many people being left uninformed, and- this is a deep issue. I hadn’t meant for all this. But I am sick of being deemed less important and that we are to sit quietly for those to tell us what to do and not do anything but. I am not from any sort of military background. And I know other feel the same.
I meant for this merely to foster hope where there is little. But if people see that as a threat to their station or order, then I think our little “society” has some problems that need more than hope to fix.
I’d still like to explore the idea of a common symbol. And am still open to ideas. I sure hope this “town meeting” that was spoken of at the end of the last gathering has merit to it. And it isn’t just those with “the need to know.”

General Baron Sir Marcus,

I am pleased to hear that you are open to improving communication among the Lantern Bearers.

I will admit that I am ambivalent about what you describe as 'operational security' and 'chain of command' -- by my reckoning, these phrases are simply another way of deciding that some among our ranks are not worthy of trust or disclosure.

But, as I'm certain you have gathered, I do not come from a military background. My past is in academia, where free sharing of information is the standard. Knowledge is a powerful tool, but it is only useful if it is in the hands of those who need it. And need, as I believe has been demonstrated, often goes beyond the minimum disclosure required to accomplish a given mission.

In any case, I would very much like the opportunity to speak to you more on the subject. As you say, I do have a number of other commitments, but this issue is quite important to me. At a minimum, an exchange of ideas seems likely to be beneficial, and I would of course be happy to share my recent experience in Caius. I will speak with Vellis to arrange something for our next gather.

Best,
Clerk Pluvianella Charbonneau

If you and your guest have time, I will attempt to reconcile your schedules with the General's. I may have something on the subject of the tension between freedom and security of information to contribute to the discussion, which does not seem to be pertinent to the one begun here.

Sq. VVT

Back