Pg 4 rewritten for technical writing and comprehension for the experienced player

DracoIam

Spellsword
Section One
Core Rule Changes
(written for the experienced Player)
Archery
  • Arrow and Bolt Tags are removed.
  • Physical Quiver reps are no longer required.
  • Coatings are Applied now to the Bow/Crossbow.
  • Coatings are active until the first packet makes contact with a target*.
    • Is target the right defining word we need here?
  • Melee weapon rituals (ex. poison trigger, assassins' edge) can now target any weapon.

Armor
  • There are now two types of armor points Base Armor and Bonus Armor.
  • Rules will specify Base or Bonus Armor.

• Physical Armor tags, Arcane Armor, or Natural Armor (Monster Ability) are now considered Base Armor.
    • ?Question? Will Celestial High Magic (Alliance Rule book pg 148) be considered Bonus Armor and not be able to be refit, or Base Armor?
    • ?Smith Crafting Ability Armor Mastery (pg 32) says that the ability increases Base Armor?
  • Only one source of Base Armor may be used at a time.
  • Refitting Base Armor requires two minutes of Focus and no Skill.
  • Skills, Crafting Abilities, Rituals and Equipment can be used to shorten this time.

• Bonus Armor is gained by Rituals, Crafting Abilities (pg.22) or other sources.
  • Only one source of Bonus Armor may be used at a time.
  • Bonus Armor can not be Refit or Repaired, unless specified.
  • Bonus Armor will be damaged before Base Armor.

Biata

• Biata are no longer allergic to Celestial Magic
  • Biata pay double xp for Read Magic
  • Biata pay one additional xp per purchase of Celestial High Magic
    • ?this will be the only race with this kind of cost increase for a skill?
  • Biata pay one less xp per purchase of Brewing
  • Level Requirements are removed for Biata Mental Abilities
  • Biata experience psychic noise while in contact with, or within a persistent Celestial effect. This increases in severity based on the level or duration of the effect. The extent of this discomfort and its impact on gameplay is up to the determination of the player.
  • Mental Abilities are now calculated by Racial XP expenditure reduced by 1 for every 15xp (rounded up) spent on celestial skills.
    • M=R-(C/15) where M is mental abilities R is Racial XP C is Celestial xp

Last edited:
I'm not certain if you needed additional clarifications beyond the items I'm addressing here, but please feel free to reach out if you do.

Coatings are active until the first packet makes contact with a target*.
  • Is target the right defining word we need here?
We don't currently have hard codification of terms like this across the current rulebook (or this packet). I know that it is a project that both Rules and Docs are slated to be involved in, and I would expect that 'target' would be on the list of options. I don't see a problem with the use of it here.

Physical Armor tags, Arcane Armor, or Natural Armor (Monster Ability) are now considered Base Armor.
  • ?Question? Will Celestial High Magic (Alliance Rule book pg 148) be considered Bonus Armor and not be able to be refit, or Base Armor?
  • ?Smith Crafting Ability Armor Mastery (pg 32) says that the ability increases Base Armor?
Celestial Armor (whether obtained from Inscription or Celestial High Magic) and Armor Mastery are increases to Base Armor.

Biata pay one additional xp per purchase of Celestial High Magic
  • ?this will be the only race with this kind of cost increase for a skill?
Currently, they are the only race that has that kind of cost increase for a skill. I cannot tell you they will be the only one ever, or that they will keep in past the beta packet stage.

Random follow up.

You can't stack Celestial High Magic and Inscription, but it appears you could stack the Smithing crafting ability and Celestial High magic or inscription?

Random follow up.

You can't stack Celestial High Magic and Inscription, but it appears you could stack the Smithing crafting ability and Celestial High magic or inscription?

IMO, they should stack. As should the Brewing equivalent. They then also stack with the Smithing ability.

Not allowing the inscription/brewing ability stack with Earth/Celestial HM - represents taking something once exclusive to those classes and giving it to someone else. It is one of many examples of how "magic" and "Scholar things" were given to the other classes so they could have them too - but Scholars didn't really get anything in the exchange. There was only take & share - there was no give.

With the notion that most Scholars wear Arcane Armor and they don't get access to any of the armor rituals as a result... an EScholar getting +20body or Cscholar getting +20base armor... is at no level or scope disrupting the scope of body or armor when you look at fighters who are now rocking hundreds of armor and hundreds of body. +20 instead of +10 is inconsequential in comparison.

Random follow up.

This is correct. You can only have one "Earth's Bounty" and one "Celestial Armor" but can have both of those as well as either or both of the smithing abilities.

is at no level or scope disrupting the scope of body or armor when you look at fighters who are now rocking hundreds of armor and hundreds of body. +20 instead of +10 is inconsequential in comparison.
¿How do Fighters get hundreds of armour or body? They can break 100 with the Bonus Armor from Empowered Armor or Double Down, but ¿how do you break 200? And, breaking 100 Body with Stoneshell Armor or Armored Shell is possible, but ¿200? What am I missing?

¿How do Fighters get hundreds of armour or body? They can break 100 with the Bonus Armor from Empowered Armor or Double Down, but ¿how do you break 200? And, breaking 100 Body with Stoneshell Armor or Armored Shell is possible, but ¿200? What am I missing?
Hundreds of body, between Hardy and Stoneshell/Armored Shell is doable, but mechanically, hundreds of armor is not.

So I guess my question is why the exception? If a scholar wants to spend 40xp on blacksmithing and 30 xp on inscription and 5 high magic points why not let them have a sixty suit of aa (which can’t benefit from armor enhancements) it seems a needless exclusion.

My issue is more, if something is going to be taken from Scholars to now share with another skill. It's some take and not any give. "Sharing" is that both people get something. Sharing is not, you get something that if I also use, I don't get any benifit from it. So a Escholar who is a potion maker (a pretty common occurrences) can spend 5HM or 5CP into earth's bounty. The option of "or" cool and gives them the ability to "min max" where they spend which points. BUt there is no balance reason in which they can't or shouldn't stack. Plus 20 body is benign as well as +20 armor. Particularly considering that Scholars don't have access to the other armor/body boosting effects.

So I guess my question is why the exception? If a scholar wants to spend 40xp on blacksmithing and 30 xp on inscription and 5 high magic points why not let them have a sixty suit of aa (which can’t benefit from armor enhancements) it seems a needless exclusion.
There were some strong feelings about the possibility of arcane armor wearers being able to approach the line on the maximum physical armor limit with no physrep required. 40 points is already doable under 2.0. Allowing those same characters access to 50 points, without requiring any expansion into a (normally) more expensive skill was seen as less than optimal.

From a rules standpoint, they are not stackable because they are identical effects.

Back