Pictures wanted for new Rule Book

Fearless Leader said:
And I really really need a good series of "how to make a weapon" pictures, because the current ones have Jesse wearing a NERO T-shirt.

I'll do it. I make about a billion weapons per year out here anyways, I'm sure someone will want it donated to them.

Couple questions:
1) Do you want the pictures exactly? There are a few that I think could be a little better, but they might require a little re-wording of the text.
2) I think it would be relatively easy to alter the text in such a way as to make the process more easily applicable to people making blunts and bows, but it would lengthen the section a little. Is it important that the section fit on one page?
3) On that note, do you want me to just rewrite the thing? The directions would be more or less the same, but there could be some detail expansion and more 'do nots.'
4) I've been meaning to put together a "How to" for some time with more detail/options, which would work better as a webpage then as text directions (that way you can click on options and go there, then be directed back to the point in the process that you should be at). If I'm going to be taking photos anyways, I'll probably do both projects at the same time. Do you mind if some of the photos you get end up in a separate "How to"?
5) Should I wear my NERO shirt while doing the photos?

~Matt, WCV

obcidian_bandit said:
Fearless Leader said:
And I really really need a good series of "how to make a weapon" pictures, because the current ones have Jesse wearing a NERO T-shirt.

I'll do it. I make about a billion weapons per year out here anyways, I'm sure someone will want it donated to them.

Couple questions:
1) Do you want the pictures exactly? There are a few that I think could be a little better, but they might require a little re-wording of the text.
2) I think it would be relatively easy to alter the text in such a way as to make the process more easily applicable to people making blunts and bows, but it would lengthen the section a little. Is it important that the section fit on one page?
3) On that note, do you want me to just rewrite the thing? The directions would be more or less the same, but there could be some detail expansion and more 'do nots.'
4) I've been meaning to put together a "How to" for some time with more detail/options, which would work better as a webpage then as text directions (that way you can click on options and go there, then be directed back to the point in the process that you should be at). If I'm going to be taking photos anyways, I'll probably do both projects at the same time. Do you mind if some of the photos you get end up in a separate "How to"?
5) Should I wear my NERO shirt while doing the photos?

~Matt, WCV

Lengthening the section is fine, especially if you want to write the text with it. More pictures are better

Here's what I still am looking for:

1. Really good racial pictures for the Races section. They need to be head shots* preferably with the person looking at the camera. Use the current book as a guide. The ones that are in there now are good, but if you can give me a better one, I'll use it! Specifically I'd like a new dwarf picture and a new hobling picture (because he's not looking at the camera) but I'm willing to look at all races.

2. More pictures from other chapters! I have lots from Ashbury but need different people in the book. Please don't tell me to go search the websites, I've done some of that. Find some good ones and send them to me!

3. Some good massive battle pictures. I have a lot, but invariably there is some NPC in the background wearing shorts or with the mask on the top of his head or something. I need a few good crowd fight scenes where everyone looks good.

4. A good scan of a monster card. As you can see in the current book, it didn't come out too well and I am not computer savvy enough to know why. I took a card and scanned it, but that doesn't seem clear enough.

5. A picture of a biata and a stone elf doing some mind meld thing together would be good and if not, just one or the other performing mental skills on someone.

6. Someone using a wand.

7. Some good formal magic pictures, with incense burning and people in a Circle of Power and fog from a smoke machine and stuff to make it look really really cool.

8. A good picture of someone trying to disarm a trap, with the tools laid out nearby.

9. A picture of someone who is obviously about to sneak into a cabin.

For the monster card try doing a screen shot of a card in the database then crop the picture to show just the card.

(hit print screen to take a snapshot of what's currently on your screen, and paste it into any photo editing software).

We're doing the photo shoot this weekend, so we'll try to get some of these things in there (though I dont' know that we'll have enough people for a massive battle LOL)

Ezri said:
For the monster card try doing a screen shot of a card in the database then crop the picture to show just the card.

(hit print screen to take a snapshot of what's currently on your screen, and paste it into any photo editing software).

We're doing the photo shoot this weekend, so we'll try to get some of these things in there (though I dont' know that we'll have enough people for a massive battle LOL)

I also don't want to have the same people over and over again in pictures...

If you're on a Mac, apple-shift-4 works well for screenshots of part of the screen. Generally saves it on the desktop.

Fearless Leader said:

1. Really good racial pictures for the Races section. They need to be head shots* preferably with the person looking at the camera. Use the current book as a guide. The ones that are in there now are good, but if you can give me a better one, I'll use it! Specifically I'd like a new dwarf picture and a new hobling picture (because he's not looking at the camera) but I'm willing to look at all races.

Try the one pic of Chazz's Dwarf, some one used it in the poster contest...

I was taking the MS access files for the monster database and converting them to pdf, then making jpegs out of them in photoshop, but every one i sent in i was told was to grainy, tho they looked perfect on my computer. I am guessing its a issue with the picture being zoomed in on, but I guess that means i wasn't sizing them right.
--bill

Gilwing said:
Fearless Leader said:

Try the one pic of Chazz's Dwarf, some one used it in the poster contest...

I have that picture later in the book. I should have gotten him to look at the camera, which is what I want for that section.

I tried copying pictures from some of the other Alliance web pages but most are only 72 dpi and too small.

dreadpiratebill said:
I was taking the MS access files for the monster database and converting them to pdf, then making jpegs out of them in photoshop, but every one i sent in i was told was to grainy, tho they looked perfect on my computer. I am guessing its a issue with the picture being zoomed in on, but I guess that means i wasn't sizing them right.
--bill

They need to be 7 1/4 inches to fit on a page in the Rule Book.... somehow whenever I size them down using Pagemaker, they come out grainy.

JPEGS are raster images meaning if you don't make them at the correct size when you begin then you resize them they will have to become grainy or funny because the only way to resize them is to delete or add in new pixels. You need to use a vector image to be able to resize images without "artifacts" (blurs and such). Since Pagemaker is Adobe it should accept Illustrator or EPS files which you can Place and resize without issue. Vector images use coordinates not pixels so they redraw themselves without the blurring and issues that resized jpgs will always do no matter how many times you size them larger or smaller. After resizing a Jpg a few times even at the "original" size they're all blurry and not suited for professional printing projects at all.

Fearless Leader said:
Ezri said:

I also don't want to have the same people over and over again in pictures...

Oh I know. We are aware they won't all get used. There will be quite a few of us though, so we'll mix it up so it's not all the same people every time, and then just use what you need.

Quinn said:
JPEGS are raster images meaning if you don't make them at the correct size when you begin then you resize them they will have to become grainy or funny because the only way to resize them is to delete or add in new pixels. You need to use a vector image to be able to resize images without "artifacts" (blurs and such). Since Pagemaker is Adobe it should accept Illustrator or EPS files which you can Place and resize without issue. Vector images use coordinates not pixels so they redraw themselves without the blurring and issues that resized jpgs will always do no matter how many times you size them larger or smaller. After resizing a Jpg a few times even at the "original" size they're all blurry and not suited for professional printing projects at all.

Good point. I am really a novice with graphic arts, everything I know I know from just dicking around with the programs.
--bill

The book is done and is being proofread now.

However, it is not too late to submit pictures, because it's fairly easy to replace pictures in the document!

What I would really like mostly is a good picture of someone using a wand...

And thanks to all who have sent pictures in. I have used some but some had anacronisms in them (modern watches, modern houses in the background, etc), some were just not in focus completely, and some were not a high enough dpi quality for printing. It's frustrating also to find in crowd shots there was often someone wearing jeans or a t-shirt with a tabard over it, and I really want to have all the pictures in the book look our best, to encourage new players to really have good costumes and make up.

Plus I also am trying really hard not to have anyone in the book more than once if I can help it. Sometimes I can't, especially in big group shots, and if it's one person playing completely different characters of different races I didn't worry about it. So I could use pictures of players who we don't really get too often!

Robb Graves said:
a wand huh? touch the packet to the wand, incant, and release?

Well, just one picture, so someone holding a wand before them and touching a packet to it would be good. But, you know, like they are in battle, not sitting down in a chair, touching a packet to a wand. :D

Mike, do you still need a picture of someone using a wand? Because I have some that I could send. :)

As much as i would like to have myself as the Dark elf spokesman, The current Pic for the race is still the best i have seen. Even though it's mad old now.

Back