Planning for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRivers

Scholar
A few weeks had passed since the Phal had brought him back through the mists. he recalled how excited he was to see his kinsman, how he had quickly embraced him. It was a short-lived joy however, Calans heart was heavy, he tried to push the dark thoughts out of his mind, but the voices at the back of his head wouldn't let him. Calan stood looking at the house he's been staying in for the past who knows how long. He wondered if he had been in this house before he and Rohnan travelled through the mists. Calan began measuring out the ground beneath his feet. their household was getting crowded, and he was finding it ever difficult to sleep in his room these days. Callan could hear footsteps coming up behind him.

Vanion could see Calan in the distance pacing about near the house that Calan lived in. Almost a month has gone by but it still feels wrong to call him Calan, what a strange introduction it was to the lux. " So, this is my home, this is my brother, oh, my name is actually Calan..." this land did seem a lot nicer compared to where he was from, but you wouldn't know it the way everyone acted. they all had this air about them as though the world was coming to an end at any minute. a tale Calan insisted he would fill him in on latter, but has yet to do so.

"what are you up to?" Vanion called out to his traveling companion.

Calan looked back with a grin on his face. " oh you know just planning this year's pumpkin patch." Calans smirk grows so large his cheeks begin to hurt. "if I am to succeed in operation pumpkin, I can't possibly waste a minute I have to figure out where I am to plant each of the plants.

Calan shrugged. " why not? Its important work. pumpkins bring joy, and I aim to bring joy " Calan looked about. " truth be told, I am thinking of erecting a temporary dwelling somewhere near here." he pauses. "I will also need to figure out where im going to plant my pumpkins for real though. but I feel like a dwelling is slightly higher up on the list than the pumpkins for the moment." Calan let out a deep sigh.

"I see." Vanion replied. "Whats wrong with your house? it seems to be safe, warm, and full of life."

Calan thought a minute before answering. it was a simple question, and yet it wasn't simple to answer. How could he say because the house was broken because even though it was lively there was a gaping hole leaving it empty? That Rohnan wasn't herself, she didn't so much as glare at him for vanishing for months on end. Jinn was still gone, a weight that crushed Calan a little more each night when he went to bed and each morning when he awoke. Jinns belongings gathering dust from months of not being touched. How could he say any of this especially knowing what Vanion had been through, what he had lost?

"well, the trouble is its too full of life. I don't think Jinn ever dreamed of it being as full as it is when he bought the place. Honestly, I can't wait for you to meet him. he should be home any day now. If you think I am a riot well, he is wayyyy more me than I am. I know that doesn't make sense but... you'll understand when you meet him. And well I feel like you need a more suitable place to stay than just sleeping by the communal fire each night. I know your used to it and it was the norm for a while but once I build this tent you wont have to."

Vanion gave a gentle smile. Calan always seemed to both light up, and become distant whenever he spoke of Jinn. He wondered if half the tales Calan had told him were true.

"you have done enough for me. I am fine sleeping where I have been. you have practically given me the clothes off of your back." Vanion says as he taps the armour on his chest.

" I have the means to do more, so I will it is that simple. You have followed me to this shard, it's my responsibility to take care of you the best that I can until you are able to do so for yourself, or you choose to leave this land."

A figure starts heading up the path tho the small stone house carrying what looks to be three very heavy tomes. She passes by the two Sylvanborn and climbs the steps up the veranda and stops when she gets to the door. She glares at it as if it was offended her or she could somehow will it open with her mind. She then awkwardly shuffles the large tomes so one hand is free to reach out and grasp the handle of the door. Only for the topmost one to slip off taking the other two with them. “Well, eff me”.

Calan s voice trails off at the sight of Rohnan attempting to enter their home.

"do you need a hand?" Calan calls out.

She sighs as she looks down at the books and the Sylvanborn who called out to her. “It’s fine.” She said as she opened the door and propped it open with her foot as she attempted to pick the books back up again but just placed them one at a time into the house just inside of the threshold. She planned on moving them to her room later but that was the last of them and she was tired of the whole thing right now that this was good enough. She stepped outside and let the door close on its own and took a deep breath of the brisk air.

Last edited:
" are you all right? you seem," his words trailed off unsure of what word to use to best describe his kinsman in that moment, or since he had returned.
"not entirely yourself. has studying taken that big of a toll on you?"

She turned her head to look at the Sylvanborn who was speaking to her and seemed to be assessing something as she looked him over. “Really? In many ways I feel like I’m more like myself than I’ve been in a very long time. The studying however...” she looked annoyed. “Was more of a, well not waste of time, but definitely not leading to anything useful anytime soon. It’s going to take months if not years of intense study to adapt any of that into useable skills and my understanding is still only partly complete.”

Vanion looks back and forth as each speaks unsure what he should say himself. he knew offering the woman was no use as he himself wasn't able to enter the house.

She turned to look at the other Sylvanborn standing there. Studying his face and horns for a moment before figuring that this wasn’t someone who she was supposed to know. Turning her head back to the first she asked, “Are you going to introduce me to your friend?”

"Sounds like you need to take a break, and help me plan where to plant the pumpkins this year. what makes you feel like it was a waste of time so to speak." Calans eyes narrowed. " This is Vanion, he returned with Phal and I through the mists last month." Calan paused to consider what would come out of his mouth next. "Jinn contacted me through the dreamscape last night, hes found peace and on his way back home." Calan waited to gauge her reaction.

“Pumpkins? Um I’m sure that whatever was established is good. Maybe a few more if you’d like.” She looked frustrated for a moment “and it was a waste of time because it will take years of practical experience before I will be skilled enough with what I’ve learned to actually use.” She sighed dramatically, “but I do have the foundational knowledge at least and can work towards it. I was just wanting something that can benefit us more immediately.”

She extended a hand towards Vanion. “It’s nice to meet you Vanion. If you came through the mists then you’re a long way from home. Let us know if you need anything. Well make sure that you are well set up if you plan on staying for a while. Maybe also at sending word back home if you have anyone there.” She turned to the other Sylvanborn as she said the next bit, “I’m sure that they would be worried about you and want to know if you’re safe.”

She listened as he talked about the dreamscape, “Did Jinn say how long it would take him to return home?” She asked with a pleasant curiosity on her face.

Vanion extended his hand in return. "unfortunately there isn't any reason to go home, at least not right now. There honestly isn't a home to go to my village was destroyed by war. to be honest even before that I was a bit of a hermit until Thha---calan arrived." He looked back to his traveling companion. "Honestly Id rather not talk about home, I am here now we are moving forward, what's the point in looking back. as I have been telling Calan, I am fine. everyone here has been more than accommodating. id rather not be an imposition." he gave a smile, but felt anxious he calan who normally has very little regard for life, or safety, and makes jokes of everything was clearly tense. this was a change that didn't sit well with Vanions constitution.

Calan shrunk a little. his posture shifted as his suspicion grew. "So who do you feel operation pumpkin needs to touch their life the most this year? I want to make sure I have all the resources needed." calan waited to see her reaction before answering about Jinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back