Playtest Event Info Dump (Prereg, etc)

Durnic

Knight
Playtest introduction

Hello friends! Yes, Oregon's next event is a 2.0 playtest. This means that if you are an existing player, you will need to make sure that you have a character setup (in the new online character manager, woo!), have an idea of what you want to change your magic items to, and know what you want to do with your production. Don't fret, we'll explain all of that here.

I'm a prepared player; I've done all that. Where is the pre-registration link?

Pre-reg link is here: https://db.alliancelarp.com/events/3

I just want to NPC for this event, how do I do that?

Visit the pre-reg link above, make an account, sign in, click on the "NPC" toggle button and hit the button. Now you're good to go. Thank you for NPCing!

In the notes section, please indicate if you want the NPC food plan or not.

I have read this whole document and I would like some help running through some of this, and I cannot make the in-person 2.0 discussions.

No problem, we have a very active community on the official forums as well as on our Discord. If you are still at a loss, send an email to our New Player Representative and we'll get you squared away.

Forums: https://alliancelarp.com/forum/
Discord: https://discord.gg/GKwxmBn
New Player Rep: newplayer@allianceoregon.com

I am a confused player; I don't know what's going on! 2.0? What?

If you do not know what is happening, Alliance is playtesting our latest rendition of the 2.0 ruleset. That means that the current version (1.3) will be going away soon and we have a comprehensive set of new rules that need to be put through their paces in a weekend-long environment.

Where are the 2.0 rules? I'd like to read them.

The latest version of the 2.0 playtest (version 0.11b) can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F3aQMHVTezccA7r0FSfGbkRmNj4Qq7oU

That's a lot of rules! Is anyone around to help?

Yes, it is a very comprehensive rewriting of the current ruleset. Don't fret, though; we're all new to this ruleset and everyone is going to make mistakes. Please familiarize yourself at least with what your abilities can do and you'll be set. We will have marshals, 2.0 coordinators and ARC officials on the field to help answer questions.

Additionally, Oregon is hosting a 2.0 ruleset discussion and sparring event, which you can see on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/events/501958363601207/

If you don't have Facebook, it is Saturday, September 8th at 8am to 11am at the Washington Park Veteran's Park located at SW Knights Blvd, Portland, OR 97221. If you do have Facebook, please make sure to say whether you are going or not. I suspect that after the 11am mark, some folks will still go out to eat somewhere and continue talk about 2.0.

Okay, how can I get started?

The first thing you'll want to do is play around with character builds on the free play version of the new character manager, which is located here: https://freeplay.alliancelarp.com

Feel free to do anything you want in that free play version of the character generator. When you come to the playtest, you will want to ensure that you have a character with the same build value as the 1.3 database. This is very important. You will not be able to bring in more powerful (or less powerful) characters than you are! This is so that we still get a wide range of levels at the play test, just like we do at a normal event. We will be checking at logistics to make sure everyone is coming in with characters of the correct build level.

When you have figured out exactly what kind of character you want to play, you can head over to the full version of the CMA (Character Management Application) and plug in the skills you want here: https://db.alliancelarp.com

When you have plugged in your character in the full-fledged CMA, you will want to pre-register here: https://db.alliancelarp.com/events/3.

That "Notes" area is awfully large, what do I need to put in there?

For this playtest and this playtest only we are allowing everyone 500 production points to spend in anything they need. Potions, armor, mundane weapons, traps, etc; anything that can be produced with production will be allowed to be produced in a large batch for free at this playtest. These items will be on different color paper and will not be allowed to be used after the 2.0 playtest, though you may hold onto them to use after the 2.0 launch.

This production is supposed to assume the place of the amount of production the average character will have when 2.0 goes live.

1.3 tags may be used, as long as they are items not changed by the 2.0 ruleset. For example, shield tags, weapons tags and armor tags equal to or lower than 40 points. Armor tags higher than 40 points will need to be purchased with the 500 production mentioned above, since they are being introduced with 2.0.

The playtest packet has a list of items and their production values at the end of the document.

Any items used up during the 2.0 playtest is still used up as normal and will not be replenished at the end of the event.

You should put into the Notes column all of the production you wish to have made for the event along with your magic items and any conversions you wish to do to them. The playtest packet has recommendations for what to convert rituals into.

I don't have magic items, I'm a new player.

Awesome! Thank you for trying out Alliance; we're happy to have you. We do ask, however, that you bear with us as we try out all of these new rules.

If you have no magic items, do not put them into the Notes field.

I do have magic items, but a lot of the rituals that are on them are going away in 2.0. What do I do?

We’ll retag any Magic Items the follow the Standard Alliance Magic Item rules (including LCO items) under the 2.0 Ruleset. If you have items with nonstandard effects, they will not be accepted for this event.

We would prefer that all magic Item updates must be done through pre-registration. We will be very strict about retagging items during Friday night Logistics, since we have to validate everyone's production and characters at the same time.

The playtest package has suggested rituals to replace with your effects.

Sweet, sounds like everyone is pretty squared-away. Anything else I should know?

While we will be playing the next event as a 2.0 playtest, all of the interactions you have with other players and NPCs still count as having happened, just like if they were at a normal event. Don't say something snarky to a Fae during this event that you wouldn't say something snarky to at a normal event. Consequences can and will happen due to things that occur at this event.

What about dying? Is that going to hold over?

No. It won't. We don't want to punish someone for trying a character build that they typically wouldn't (or that ends up being very broken), as that is against the spirit of testing. However, we very kindly ask that you shutter that away in the back of your mind and still play your character as you normally would when it comes to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're an NPC, please use the notes section to indicate whether you want NPC food or not!

Tomorrow morning I am hopping onto a plane bound for Japan, where I will be vacationing for two weeks. In the meantime, @Polare is here to answer your rules questions. @prashka is here to answer your Logistics questions and @norman b is here to answer your administration (FB and here) and plot questions. Anything else should probably be sent on to my General Manager, Brian Johnson.

If I'm playing a character from another chapter, which is not already listed at https://alliancedb.herokuapp.com/, should I create a new character in that interface with the same name?

Answered my own question: No, because then that character would only have 25 XP. I guess I'll email Logistics.

Feeling silly, but I don't see an NPC toggle button. When I go to the pre-reg link all I get it a page with the event info. No button, no notes section. Any advice on what I'm missing?

Feeling silly, but I don't see an NPC toggle button. When I go to the pre-reg link all I get it a page with the event info. No button, no notes section. Any advice on what I'm missing?

If you click the button under the event information, the next page should have the NPC toggle button and a notes section.

@Polare since Rick is flying to Japan...

When it says 500 production points, is it supposed to mean coppers? I ask specifically because of strengthened or silvered items require additional copper and production points. Are the points supposed to be converted into silver/copper for these extra cost or is no one to come in with silvered or strengthen items?

Thanks!

If I'm playing a character from another chapter, which is not already listed at https://alliancedb.herokuapp.com/, should I create a new character in that interface with the same name?

I have an email out to Seattle's logistics right now about what to do about this very situation. Give me a bit of time to hear back and I'll either by hand create your character or, import their entire database.

If you're planning on playing a character that's not in Calgary's, Oregon, South Michigan, New Hampshire, or Traverse City's database we'll need to work something out. If you're planning on attending more then one playtest, we'll also need to make sure your character gets updated and reset.

No worries it's a new system so there's more to learn. These screen shots should help.
Screen_Shot_2018-09-04_at_10_19_22_AM.png Screen_Shot_2018-09-04_at_10_20_29_AM.png

If you don't see an option for preregistering it's because you don't have a character setup in the database, and so you won't be able to get credit for the event.
This doesn't really matter for playtesting, you can create a blank one if you're only npcing and pregister it. But, we can also figure out why you don't have a character.

When it says 500 production points, is it supposed to mean coppers? I ask specifically because of strengthened or silvered items require additional copper and production points. Are the points supposed to be converted into silver/copper for these extra cost or is no one to come in with silvered or strengthen items?

Here's how this will work:

1. Pick up to 500 Production Points worth of items (Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Scrolls, Potions, Traps).
2. You need to pay for that production with equivalent coppers and/or Goblin Stamps.
3. You will pick up the items at Logistics.

Any production points can be gotten in this way, including Strengthening / Silvering / etc., assuming you have enough Production Points to cover it.

@norman b - This is in addition to anything your character would normally bring in. Strengthened and Silvered weapons aren't changing, so characters with those items existing can bring them in in addition to new items they build through this policy.

Here's how this will work:

1. Pick up to 500 Production Points worth of items (Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Scrolls, Potions, Traps).
2. You need to pay for that production with equivalent coppers and/or Goblin Stamps.
3. You will pick up the items at Logistics.

Any production points can be gotten in this way, including Strengthening / Silvering / etc., assuming you have enough Production Points to cover it.

@norman b - This is in addition to anything your character would normally bring in. Strengthened and Silvered weapons aren't changing, so characters with those items existing can bring them in in addition to new items they build through this policy.

Thank you Bryan. I just noticed Rick's post said to not use 1.3 tags and mentioned the production was meant to purchase weapons and armor as well.

Huh. I need to chat with him but he's on vacation! I had understood the intent to be:

- You can bring 1.3 tags that don't change (like weapons, armor, some traps/potions/scrolls/etc.)
- To allow you to try out new 2.0 things, you can gobby or purchase 500 pp of stuff, so you can start with some Blast Globes and the like or change out your weapon if you're changing weapon skills or get bigger armor if you're using bigger armor

I don't think the intent was to *not* use 1.3 tags that transfer over.

-Bryan

Huh. I need to chat with him but he's on vacation! I had understood the intent to be:

- You can bring 1.3 tags that don't change (like weapons, armor, some traps/potions/scrolls/etc.)
- To allow you to try out new 2.0 things, you can gobby or purchase 500 pp of stuff, so you can start with some Blast Globes and the like or change out your weapon if you're changing weapon skills or get bigger armor if you're using bigger armor

I don't think the intent was to *not* use 1.3 tags that transfer over.

-Bryan

I just chatted with Rick cause I'm a jerk that pings him on vacation. Go with my statement for now, not his; he'll fix the original post later.

If we have established characters, should they be in that new DB as at least unspent points? Or will mine not appear since I am a Seattle player?

I have an email out to Seattle's logistics right now about what to do about this very situation. Give me a bit of time to hear back and I'll either by hand create your character or, import their entire database.

If you're planning on playing a character that's not in Calgary's, Oregon, South Michigan, New Hampshire, or Traverse City's database we'll need to work something out. If you're planning on attending more then one playtest, we'll also need to make sure your character gets updated and reset.

I haven't heard back yet. So, their logistics team probably needs some time.

No worries it's a new system so there's more to learn. These screen shots should help.
View attachment 2131 View attachment 2132

If you don't see an option for preregistering it's because you don't have a character setup in the database, and so you won't be able to get credit for the event.
This doesn't really matter for playtesting, you can create a blank one if you're only npcing and pregister it. But, we can also figure out why you don't have a character.

That explains why I didn't see anything! I don't have a character because I only NPC. Any way to fix that?

You can just make one. You need to have a character to get credit for the event. You really want to be getting credit for events on a character even if you're unsure what you're going to be doing.

Back