[.11] Potency and Spell Store

Whelp, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong! Thanks! :D

But as for the actual topic of this thread, can we get clarification on how Potency interacts with Spell Store?

A Potency'd spell acts as a "higher" spell level for all purposes. This includes Spell Store. Note that Spell Stores, even above level 9, can only take up to level 9 spells (as level 10 spells don't exist).

Or, to put it another way:

I cast a level 1 Evocation Bolt while Potencied for Flame as "10 Flame". It goes into my buddy's spell store as a level 2 spell.

I cast a level 9 Evocation Bolt while Potencied for Flame as "50 Flame". My buddy goes "Ouch!" since he can't absorb a level 10 spell, since such a thing doesn't exist. How rude of me!

-Bryan

We will explicitly add clauses to Memory Strike, Warrior's Incantation, and Spell Store noting that Storm spells may not be put into or channeled through these Rituals.

I thought of this this morning while I was at work, but wouldn't it be easier to add one line to the Storm spell description that says Storm spells target the caster's Spirit, rather than add lines to three Rituals saying that Storm spells don't interact with them? Spell Store is technically on the Body, so it would bypass it entirely, and it wouldn't persist through Unconsciousness or Resurrection because both of those things cause you to lose access to Game Abilities and break Focus.

I thought of this this morning while I was at work, but wouldn't it be easier to add one line to the Storm spell description that says Storm spells target the caster's Spirit, rather than add lines to three Rituals saying that Storm spells don't interact with them? Spell Store is technically on the Body, so it would bypass it entirely, and it wouldn't persist through Unconsciousness or Resurrection because both of those things cause you to lose access to Game Abilities and break Focus.

Players are regularly confused by the interactions on spirit-targeted stuff and how those interact with other rules. You'll note that there are a LOT of explicit statements around similar effects already; this is to help deal with past questions and issues that came up. Explicitly adding the lines to the rituals will be much clearer to players in the long term, especially casual players who are not as invested into the rules.

-Bryan

Back