Potion vials

Flyaway Bird said:
What are potion vials in real life and where can I get me some of 'em? They look like scientific beakers, or bubble-blowing liquid holders... But I don't know what (if anything) they're technically called.

I know we always have them for sale at Logistics in HQ. Ten for a dollar! I'm not sure where Mike V gets them. A medical/science supply place, I think.

great reps we use out here are the bubble-tubes they use at weddings. goto a party store and peruse the wedding section, they come in backs of 30 or so

I use flower caps or rose caps...they are the small vials that come one the ends of roses when you buy them from the florist...I go to my local supermarket (which has a florist) and just ask for some...depending on the person...it ranges from free to about 10 cents a vial....

~Matt K.

Are glass vials allowed for potion reps assuming they are big enough? Because a group of friends and myself use those in our own game on the side.

Alliance normally stays away from Glass potion reps. Several alliance games sometimes sells plastic potion reps pretty cheap and there was a website posted on the old boards maybe one someone can post it again.

What I was asking however is "normally stays away from glass potion reps" mean they aren't allowed? Or are they just discouraged.

The rulebook states:

"You cannot carry portable glass battery candles because they break too easily;however, these can be used to light up a cabin."

I'd imagine this would extend to glass potion vials.

Did you ever fall down on a glass vial and see what kind of effects it has on human flesh?

Don't use glass vials!

There are many companies that will sell (mail order) plastic test tubes with caps in a wide variety of sizes - in either a clear plastic, or a translucent plastic; the clear plastic allows you to read the reverse-rolled tags - or you could label the translucent ones. For labels on translucent vials, I print large sheets of file folder labels, and wrap them cigar-band style around the vial.

I don't know if it's ever been explicitly stated as a rule in regards to vials, but as Seth said, a combat based game where you are pretty much expected to take some spills is a bad place to be carrying breakable items. Especially breakable items capable of lascerating skin when broken. I guess we just figure that not carrying breakable glass while running through the woods was a common sense sort of thing...

Yes glass is period where plastic is not, but we make some concessions for safety.

That being said if you wanted to rep out an alchemy or potion lab in your cabin and have cool looking glass vials and bottles and such that'd be fine. Glass reps to carry? no.

Ummm the bottoms of flowers from a flower shop is what i have....they're plastic with rubber tops with a hole in them. not sure if they're what we're supposed to be using but that's what i got.

Awhile back I worked at an R&D company and was able to order plastic test tubes from their "Sigma" supplier at a discount. Get to know your friendly R&D folks where you work and you may be able to find a nifty hookup!

-Ryan

One of the things that vaguely bother me about the test tubes is the plastic caps. I can suspend disbelief well enough to turn plastic into glass in my head - but I like to get rid of those ugly plastic tops and use pieces of cork instead.

I've also got some glass reps too, somewhere, and have fallen bunches on them without harming them. But the comments on this board however have me thinking that I'm probably going to retire them - as cool looking as they are. : (

HtM

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
Ummm the bottoms of flowers from a flower shop is what i have....they're plastic with rubber tops with a hole in them. not sure if they're what we're supposed to be using but that's what i got.

I use those as well when I have them. Usually after Renn Faire season.. hehe
HtM

henrythemad said:
One of the things that vaguely bother me about the test tubes is the plastic caps. I can suspend disbelief well enough to turn plastic into glass in my head - but I like to get rid of those ugly plastic tops and use pieces of cork instead.

I've also got some glass reps too, somewhere, and have fallen bunches on them without harming them. But the comments on this board however have me thinking that I'm probably going to retire them - as cool looking as they are. : (

HtM

Henry,

You are an awesome RPer, but sometimes you can be a bit of a PhysRep perfectionist -- except....

I remember this large plastic bone that Enko carried with him -- heh heh. If only you could have gotten him a real bovine legbone, or carved a realistic looking one out of pine or balsa wood and finished it to look like a bleached bone.

I like that the plastic caps don't fall off and allow the tag to fall out.

I don't remember a plastic bone... I remember a foam and tape one which I used as a club. As far as a real bovine legbone.. the idea is somewhat, um, aversive from the point of view of a vegitarian.

The cork caps I've used have a similar "stay attached" rate as the plastic caps. I mean, I haven't exactly run a scientific experiment on it or anything - but sometimes some of them fall off, sometimes some of them don't. Just like the plastic caps.

Back