Productionists

Regarding armor, it seems to me that the concern is wanting to ensure repeat business for blacksmiths without having to deal with the headache of armor values changing every time they're breached mid-game, making your armor fairly useless in short order unless you render it. Back in Nero Int'l, having your armor reduced by two points every time it breached made armor seem fairly worthless, so fewer and fewer people have been wearing it. Overall, it was harmful to the crafters, armor-wearing characters, and the overall in-game atmosphere.

In my opinion, if your armor goes to 0 points (breached) sometime during the event, then after the event its max armor point value is reduced by 1 point.

That's it.

It's simple for the players, simple for logistics, and is a sensible representation of general "wear and tear" over time without being too penalizing. It makes rendered armor appealing, but not critically necessary in order to be useful, unlike the old breaching system in which armor was virtually useless unless it was rendered.

Want to repair your armor to its original points value instead of waiting for it to fall to pieces? That's simple too. Just use the armor production chart to determine how much it would cost. Repairing 1 point or 5 points cost the same, so you have a few events before it starts to make a big impact on price. But because the price goes up at an increasing rate, repairing 30 points costs ten times as much, which is the same as creating armor. So, it makes sense to repair and maintain your armor after a few events as opposed to waiting a year. It's similar to taking your car in for regular check-ups instead of waiting until it falls apart and costs and arm and a leg.

Just my opinion, but I really believe this would be a positive change for blacksmiths and the game overall.

Maxondaerth said:
If we went back to breaching armor, I'd much rather see it go to a system of "This suit of armor can be refit from 0 ten times before it becomes unusable" instead of the gradual -2 pt every time. Make it a tag like arrows with ten tabs and the value at the top, when you hit the top, get new suit. The progressive downgrade is really hard on low level characters.

What I'm used to is a system that does do armor breaches, but doesn't destroy a suit outright- merely renders it useless till repaired.

Armor loses three points each time it's refitted. So a 15 point suit goes 12,9,6,3,0. (and higher-quality suits can be made that lose fewer points per refit)

However, a smith can repair that damage (get "field repair" tags to restore six points for each rank of smithing, and can just plain outright fix a suit at an armoury or the like without using those field repair tags), even if the suit's bashed down to zero points. I could easily see something like adapted to Alliance rules.

Wraith said:
I'm still of the opinion that Arcane Armor needs to be removed from the game, myself. But that's right up there with 'hard reset' on the list of proposals that will fall like quiche in a paint shaker. ;)

I'm still amazed at times that anyone with a good ritualist can take hits in a tunic and breeches that would leave a plate-armored warrior bleeding profusely.

Then again, that's part of why I suggested they'd need a good suit of armor made as a component to do it. :)

Back