Question for Everyone

I have a distinct feeling that, if Bryan hadn't had to leave Seattle staff, Raphael Brunaleski would have been around much, much longer.

Another bit from my experience, for those who are keen on bad guys...

Don't assume you always know who the REAL bad guys are. You may just be dead wrong.

Wow! This is really helpful! Keep posting, y'all!

One thing that I was surprised to see on all three boards that I have posted this on is the request for P.C. punishment.

Polare Lissenstine said:
I want to see more repercussions to the players' decisions. ...there needs to be ways for the players to screw up and not get "saved"

Shikar al'Basteua said:
... I wholeheartedly believe in being allowed to make mistakes and later paying for those mistakes.

Balryn said:
I would also like to see some long term "bad guys" as Bryan stated. Smart ones. Ones that kick the crap outta people who screw up.

am I sensing a streak of masochism, perhaps?

No, just a curbing of the god complex some people get from doing stupid things and always getting away with it.

Yeah I would have to say that I like roleplaying a little bit more then fighting. But that would also have to do with the fact that in fights I am almost useless. Hopefully that will change at the next event I am at. :D

In the same respect, I would like it if the mistakes didnt rain so hard down on the poor little n00bs cause they might not know exactly what their getting into yet.

But thats the fun of it...at least I think that.

L.E. said:
Wow! This is really helpful! Keep posting, y'all!

One thing that I was surprised to see on all three boards that I have posted this on is the request for P.C. punishment.

am I sensing a streak of masochism, perhaps?

Hard from it. I started NERO years ago looking for roleplaying that adhered to a fantasy setting, yet had realism and dynamic plot. I'm a smart guy on most standpoints, so for me I like the challenge of seeing somewhat beat me at my own game.

I don't like getting beat by shear numbers and whacky power gods, rather I want to face someone on the same level as if playing a game of chess. There is something challenging matching wits with someone like that.

I also like to see real reprecussions to actions. That means equal and opposite reaction. If someone does something wrong, the wrong thing should happen to them as a result. An equal reaction so to speak.

When I ran things, some of the *best* roleplayers came up to me after I was leaving NPC camp and said "God Barry, you kicked our *** this weekend. When I died I thought I did everything right. I was wrong."

~B

Sorry about the length of this post. :D

L.E. said:
What kind of plot do you like?

What kind of mods/storylines do you like to play?
What are important elements of the best mods/storylines that you've ever been on?
What do you want to see more of?
What do you want to see less of?

And also, my big question:
Do you mind getting woken up at night?
And if you don?t like getting woken up, are there any circumstances that you wouldn?t mind waking up for?

Alright, I generally never answer these, and there are several reasons for that. However I think, in general, I have some good information to offer, but it is, of course, based only on my personal experience as a reasonably long time player and former plot member. Try not to read too much bitching into any of it. ;) So, in no particular order:

I don?t mind being woken up for a reason. I have no problem with a PC waking me up, because I can deal with that IG. Most npcs I don?t have the option of returning the favor. The reason can?t be something frivolous. If it?s just senseless combat, I don?t want it. If you?re rifting into my ward, I don?t want it. If you?re there because of something that no PC did, it?s just something to do in the middle of the night to entertain the NPCs, I don?t want it. Town?s in danger? Sure. Mod hook? Sure. I?ve had more then 6 hours of sleep? Sure. In fact, I like ?wake up call? npcs. If it?s 10am, and there are no pcs to be seen, someone had better start waking up the town. I don?t go to nero to sleep. However, I hate when the ?wake up call? npc has his situation resolved by a group, only for him to go to the next cabin and repeat it. I?m all for repeating mods and even repeating encounters to an extent, but if I just gave you the three silver you need to get your son out of jail, and I hear you hitting up the next cabin over for the same thing, I?m going to come out, kill you, and then be really pissed when I hear you doing it to the cabin after that.

Also understand that if you?re going to wake someone up, that they either need to have time to get into costume, with makeup, or that it needs to be so immediate a threat that they?ll go out without it. If it?s the first type, then you?d better be keeping the person you woke up entertained for several hours, or at least enough time to have made it worth it. If it?s the second type, don?t keep them out of bed for long. If I hear ?Gypsy Pantherghast?, I?ll book it out of my cabin in just my pants and a handful of packets, but as soon as that sucker?s dead, I?m going back to bed. If I hear ?The Gate is opening, we?ve got to go through it to the plane of Ooze to stop the Pudding King!?, that gate better not open for 20 minutes at least. We?ve got to put on costuming, and god forbid my cabin has prosthetic-wearers, that?ll take even longer.

Some of the best elements I?ve dealt with were some of the arcs and execution of those arcs. Since you don?t want to be recreating the exact same story arcs that others have, here are some specific things that I?ve liked within them.
Fear. Not ?Arcane?, ?Magic?, or ?Voice?, but actual Fear. I hate packet delivered emotions. If you want to make me afraid of something, you?ve got to do it yourself. You don?t need ookie stats to create fear. You need to keep people on their toes. I don?t mean ?horror?, either. I don?t really like horror in a nero setting. You just can?t create it well. You can describe a scene that could induce horror, but you can?t physrep it, so it doesn?t matter. The PCs don?t actually have to deal with it. The first two mods that come to mind that inspired fear in the people that were on them were ?Heart of Darkness? and ?Force of Nature?.
In ?Heart of Darkness?, we had all the NPCs dressed in complete black, with black face paint, with physrepped glowing red eyes. When they spawned, you could see the red eyes in the woods, but they?d occasionally disappear. They would lie silent and still with their eyes off until they had an opportunity to strike, when they?d turn the eyes back on and engage the PCs. You couldn?t see the NPCs at all until you were right upon them, and even then you?d often miss the in the dark if they didn?t have their eyes on. And all the critters were low body, low damage. But it forced the pcs to always be on their toes, and the critters spawned throughout the module area, so that they were a constant threat, but not the major one.
In ?Force of Nature? darkness and camouflage were once again used. The mod started in the evening, and went past dusk. One NPC, in camo gear and paint, with moderate level rogue stats. But it swung for disease, and was only KBable by an item that the PCs had to get. While the PCs were trying to get it, they?d fight the critter, kill it, and run to the next place as fast as they could. It would get back up, make chase, get everyone diseased, die, and then they had to walk towards the next place. It?d get back up, run through the group, re-diseasing everyone it could, and lay an ambush ahead of them. Repeat as necessary to get the job done. It had the advantage of speed and surprise, but they had the numbers and power to kill it. But they never knew where it was.
Hate. What a better motivator then Hate? Not an irritating kind of ?Man, I hate that guy.? Get people to really despise an NPC. I think that the most recent time that that may have happened was with Raphael. I heard at least a half dozen times ?Man, as soon as I get some proof, I?m gonna kill that guy!?
Revenge/Vengeance/Justice. Same basic motivator, something bad happened, and rather then setting it right (or in addition to), hunting down the SOB that did it, and making him pay for it. I actually don?t have an example for this one, it really hasn?t happened in a while, or at least not that I can think of just now.
Loyalty. The last time I heard someone yell ?For the Queen!? or something like that, I think it was Slice, and she was Fey Cursed at the time to yell it. There hasn?t really been anything worth being loyal to in some time, so I don?t have an example for this, either.

All these things lead me to the absolute most important thing to a good NERO event. Combat with a Purpose. There has to be combat, and without a purpose, it?s just hack and slash. I hate hack and slash. Even as my fighter I hate hack and slash. No one wants to be the guy who kills the Grizzly Bear on the trail just because it was a combat encounter. Same with Kobalds. (In Seattle, at least, OR kobalds are entirely different.) They?re just irritating, they?re not a combat encounter. Unless I?m off to slay the Kobald King, there?s no purpose to fighting them.

Which brings me to ?critters that fit the mod?. If I?m in a cave, there should be cave creatures. If I?m in the woods, there should be woods creatures. Sure, it seems really obvious, but it really breaks the atmosphere when there?s something where there shouldn?t be, just because a combat needed to go there. That?s not to say that there can?t be a sprite in the Spider Cave, but there?d damn well be a good reason.

Reasons. Everything has to happen for a reason. There can occasionally be random stuff, but nothing major. If Goobers from Planet X start showing up one night, causing havoc, and then go away, it?s completely random if no one ever finds out that every 23rd full moon the gateway to Planet X opens. If there?s nothing that can be done about it, then it?s just random senseless combat at that point. This used to happen all the time, and players would go up to plot and say, ?I have no idea why this and this and this happened, this event is really random.? Plot would tell them that there was a reason, and not to worry about it so much. Come to find out many months later that the reason was often some obscure thing that no one really would have ever thought to check on, or that one pc in town heard the reason 3 months earlier, then forgot, or didn?t show up that event, and no new info went out.

Info should be dropped in major ways. Sure, in a tight tabletop group you can make for a good mystery, but it?s really hard to do in a Larp. It can be done, but it?s not something that you can give three tiny pieces of info to three pcs that have nothing to do with each other, and hope a fourth looks for it. If you?re going to drop info like that, it generally has to be pretty big, so that people will talk about it, and then they?ll be able to share things, or at least know who has the info. And it?s got to fit together pretty obviously. Most of the work that will be done will be talking to people IG, and making more RP happen. That?s the goal, the RP that happens. It could be as simple as telling four people that ?Bob is a sheep farmer outside of town,? ?Bob joined the Earth Guild a few years ago, and just learned ritual magic,? ?There?s been a shortage of wool this year, because one major sheep farmer didn?t wool at market this year,? and ?There have been undead sheep attacking the farmers outside of town.? Sure, it?s an obvious puzzle that Bob+sheep-wool+ritual magic=One Baaad Flocker, but it?ll take those 4 pcs hours to put it together.

As far as putting things together goes, I like puzzles. However, I hate small puzzles on mods. If the only way to get through the magic door is to build a kitten out of these 47 pieces of wood, there are going to be some very bored people on the mod. If only two or three people can work on a puzzle at a time, then have something else for everyone to do. Hold back the baddies while the three puzzle do-ers get the door open, or make the puzzle something that everyone can help on, or make it a puzzle that only takes a few minutes.

Traps. I like traps. They are a type of a puzzle that makes rogues not feel like they wasted 3 build on Legerdemain. Trapped corridors are great, for a rogue. Boring as hell for everyone else. Perfect for ?Rogue Mods?, or good when following the guidelines for normal puzzles. (Have something else to do.) Locks are the same way.

The R in NERO is for ?Roleplaying?. I like my rp. I like it to go somewhere. I want to have something to do with my RP. I don?t really want to RP with every farmer that comes in the door. They?re boring. Keep it interesting. I don?t want to hear an off the cuff story that has nothing to do with anything. Most of the time it?s either too overdone or too underdone. Tell me a story about a place I?ve been, a place I?m going, someone I heard of, or even better, if you?ve gained the notoriety, about Me. (Anyone?s PC, not me specifically.) Keep me interested in what?s going on. If I feel like I?m talking to Joe Shmoe, the Final Fantasy NPC who tells me the same thing over and over again, that?s all I?m going to expect from that NPC, pretty much ever. You might want us to go and talk to the Duke later, but if the first time I ever see him it?s ?Hi, I?m the Duke. I?m cooler then you, and I?m going over here now,? and no real information or personality, then I?m going to forget we ever dealt with him, because he?s Joe Shmoe II at that point.

The A in LARP is for ?Action!? I?m here to beat things down. I didn?t come just for RP or I?d go play Vampire. I?m not here just for combat, or I?d go play Amtgard. But I do want to get into plenty of combat. It?s a Live game, its main advantage over a tabletop game is actually doing what you?re imagining, and you can RP while tabletopping. I?ve got to get my beat fix. I want it mixed up. I expect to win way too often. I?ve walked out of combat and sat on the ground because I didn?t think it mattered. When there are fighter critters, I want the fighters to handle them, and when there are caster critters, I want the casters to handle them. Throw in some things that challenge the PCs abilities.

Debilitating effects. I hate debilitating effects. Used sparingly, they?re great. Puny critter swinging for something that?ll put me out of the game for 10 minutes? Not cool. Drain, paralysis, nausea, vertigo, all pains in the ***, and take people out of game. Wither? That?s added challenge, now I?m down an arm, or a leg or two. Disease? Not gonna stop me, just slow me down. Sleep? You can be shaken out of it, and there will be more Awakens around because half the PC races can resist it. Binding? Kill the caster. Entangle? Cut ya out of it. These kinds of things can put me down, but not take me out entirely.

NPC OOG vs. NPC IG knowledge. Sure, everyone and their dog may know that the big rat swings 13, that turning your back on the naked one will be your last conscious move, or that behind nearly every shield there?s a pile of globes or spell packets, but does the thing that you?re playing know that? The same trick should work on most NPCs through several spawns. If six people with shields walk up to you, you should probably expect that they?ll all be fighters. If those six people happen to be Derek, Shikar, Slice, Seth, Mykell, and Gregor, it sucks to be your npc, ?cause you?ll probably never see it coming. If you?re not intelligent enough to know better, throw Sleeps at the Elves and Lightning Storm at the dwarves. Let the Barbarians suck the Fears, and the sarr eat the poisons. They deserve to use their skills. Way too often I?ll see non-intelligent NPCs pick and choose whom their attacks will be most effective against. Cut it out.

If you give the PCs power, let them use it. Consider every possible outcome of giving that PC that power before you do it, and expect the worst. Don?t want Billy to use the one favor from the Dracolich to destroy the town or the big baddie of the month? Don?t give Billy the favor. Telling Billy that the dracolich just doesn?t show up or doesn?t want to will make the favor worthless, and then the player of Billy won?t ever believe any of Plot Guy Joe?s NPCs again when they say that he ?owes him one?. He?ll prolly also be pissed at Joe for ruining the plot that hitherto may have been just fine.

I know it?s been said before, but let the PCs lose. Where?s the danger if you were always going to win? What?s the accomplishment? Stick it to them. Make sure that the plot team is willing to run whatever happens based on the PCs decisions. I thought that it was horrible that there was no way for Raphael to win that scenario. There was no ?ritual complete? time, and there was no set number of NPC baddies for him to send out. PCs take too long? Sorry, find a new town, or the secret ritual of the Oompa-loompas to turn them all back. PCs get overrun by undead? Too bad, came in unprepared.

That leads to ?pre-scaling?. If there are 100 goblins in that valley, then there are 100 goblins in that valley. If the PCs know that there are 100 goblins in that valley, then they?ll know what they?re up against. If they?re 20 goblins in, and they accidentally let one get away, and that one alerts all the others, and the pcs get hit with 30 goblins at once, and half the party is down, and they?re out of Life spells, give them a minute to gather up, and a chance to run, and if they don?t, hit them with 30 more goblins. That?s PCs making a bad choice. Res the lot of them. If they go in all ninja style, take out 8 groups of 10 goblins without making any noise, and breeze through them because they were prepared, then there had better only be 20 goblins left at the Goblin King?s place, and he?d better have no idea they?re coming. Sure, he?ll get butchered, but the PCs earned the easy fight the way that they went in. I hate when scaling gets done on the fly. If the PCs truly had no idea what they were getting into, or if there?s no way out of the situation and they can?t retreat (once again, if they knew that the cave was full of trolls, and they didn?t bring fire, and they can?t retreat, then that?s their own fault), or if plot made a huge oops (?I said ?Death?s Head?, not ?Dread Naught?!?), then a scaling down may be in order, but aside from that, have it done ahead of time. Determine numbers, then stick to them. Don?t just say, ?Well, we?ll send in a few waves of X, and when we think they?ve taken enough damage, then we?ll send in the big one.? That?s a good way to make big mistakes, or really irk people.

Consistent scaling. If I?m fighting creatures one day, and they are suddenly different critters the next day, just because Joe Plot guy decided that they were too tough/not tough enough, it?s going to create unrealistic expectations. That?s why during the Gnoll/Kobald split, I chose Kobald. Every Gnoll I?d fought up to that point was a Heart-eater. They all took 4 Lightning Storms to drop, and all had four Spellstrike Deaths. I would be useless against them, ?cause I?d run out of spells so quick. The Kobalds were at least fairly consistently killable with a spell or two. It turns out that the end battles were scaled about correctly, which was completely contrary to what had been going on thus far. If the IG info had been consistent, then I would have made the better choice in the long run.

Town mods. I hate town mods. When the big thing of the weekend goes on, I don?t want to take everyone with. ?Everyone? is a liability. It makes no sense IG to do it, but OOG I don?t want to leave anyone out. So it happens anyways. Better would be to have several things going on at once. Split the town into groups, and double hook it up a bit.

There is a huge difference between a Module and an Encounter. Eighty percent of what passes for a mod in recent Seattle games have actually been encounters. To be a mod, you have to go somewhere else, there has to be challenges along the way, and there has to be a goal that you accomplish. Recently, what?s happened is ?Go to the barn for a big fight?. Not a mod. A goal might be accomplished, and you went somewhere else, but since nothing happened along the way, you might as well have done the fight in the tavern. It?s a single encounter, just somewhere else. The Finfolk wave battle was almost a mod. We went somewhere, we ran into stray finfolk along the way, but there was no goal. A bunch of monsters attack the tavern? Goal (stop them), no travel, so no challenges along the way. Get all three involved for a mod, otherwise, it?s just an encounter, same as talking to the fisherman in the inn.

Get the PCs involved, but don?t treat them like pawns. You can have NPCs treat them like pawns, but don?t start ignoring them or make them pay every time they do something that isn?t what you want them to do. Don?t force the storyline the way you want it to go. Writing plot isn?t linear. Players will make things go in ways you didn?t expect. Go with it, and don?t try to have some unstoppable event if the PCs are trying to stop it, just because it?s the way that you thought the story should go. It?s not your story. You?re there to shape it, but you?re not the only one writing it.

That helps to drive in the ?Barbed Corridor/Fishhook? problem. A ?Barbed Corridor? is a storyline that hurts you if you try to deviate from how the builder made it, and even if you try, you still can?t go anywhere but forward, since it?s a corridor and all. The ?Fishhook? is when you?re being lead by the nose so hard that you don?t even know why you?re doing what you?re doing, but if you quit it you get hurt and pulled along anyhow. Both are bad things.

Know your locations. I don?t want the Earth Guild to be an hour away one day, two the next, and 15 minutes the next day. The next town over should be two weeks. Not two days or two months depending on which staffer I ask. Write these things down, and make sure everyone on plot has access to them.

I think on a last note, I should point out that Oregon styles of plot and Seattle styles are quite different. I wouldn?t suggest trying to run one in the other, as the feel of the game itself is different enough, and would cause a disturbance in the force.

~Matt, OR variety

Sorry that this is so long (p. 1 of 2)

L.E. said:
What kind of plot do you like?

What kind of mods/storylines do you like to play?
What are important elements of the best mods/storylines that you've ever been on?
What do you want to see more of?
What do you want to see less of?

And also, my big question:
Do you mind getting woken up at night?
And if you don?t like getting woken up, are there any circumstances that you wouldn?t mind waking up for?

Alright, I generally never answer these, and there are several reasons for that. However I think, in general, I have some good information to offer, but it is, of course, based only on my personal experience as a reasonably long time player and former plot member. Try not to read too much bitching into any of it. ;) So, in no particular order:

I don?t mind being woken up for a reason. I have no problem with a PC waking me up, because I can deal with that IG. Most npcs I don?t have the option of returning the favor. The reason can?t be something frivolous. If it?s just senseless combat, I don?t want it. If you?re rifting into my ward, I don?t want it. If you?re there because of something that no PC did, it?s just something to do in the middle of the night to entertain the NPCs, I don?t want it. Town?s in danger? Sure. Mod hook? Sure. I?ve had more then 6 hours of sleep? Sure. In fact, I like ?wake up call? npcs. If it?s 10am, and there are no pcs to be seen, someone had better start waking up the town. I don?t go to nero to sleep. However, I hate when the ?wake up call? npc has his situation resolved by a group, only for him to go to the next cabin and repeat it. I?m all for repeating mods and even repeating encounters to an extent, but if I just gave you the three silver you need to get your son out of jail, and I hear you hitting up the next cabin over for the same thing, I?m going to come out, kill you, and then be really pissed when I hear you doing it to the cabin after that.

Also understand that if you?re going to wake someone up, that they either need to have time to get into costume, with makeup, or that it needs to be so immediate a threat that they?ll go out without it. If it?s the first type, then you?d better be keeping the person you woke up entertained for several hours, or at least enough time to have made it worth it. If it?s the second type, don?t keep them out of bed for long. If I hear ?Gypsy Pantherghast?, I?ll book it out of my cabin in just my pants and a handful of packets, but as soon as that sucker?s dead, I?m going back to bed. If I hear ?The Gate is opening, we?ve got to go through it to the plane of Ooze to stop the Pudding King!?, that gate better not open for 20 minutes at least. We?ve got to put on costuming, and god forbid my cabin has prosthetic-wearers, that?ll take even longer.

Some of the best elements I?ve dealt with were some of the arcs and execution of those arcs. Since you don?t want to be recreating the exact same story arcs that others have, here are some specific things that I?ve liked within them.
Fear. Not ?Arcane?, ?Magic?, or ?Voice?, but actual Fear. I hate packet delivered emotions. If you want to make me afraid of something, you?ve got to do it yourself. You don?t need ookie stats to create fear. You need to keep people on their toes. I don?t mean ?horror?, either. I don?t really like horror in a nero setting. You just can?t create it well. You can describe a scene that could induce horror, but you can?t physrep it, so it doesn?t matter. The PCs don?t actually have to deal with it. The first two mods that come to mind that inspired fear in the people that were on them were ?Heart of Darkness? and ?Force of Nature?.
In ?Heart of Darkness?, we had all the NPCs dressed in complete black, with black face paint, with physrepped glowing red eyes. When they spawned, you could see the red eyes in the woods, but they?d occasionally disappear. They would lie silent and still with their eyes off until they had an opportunity to strike, when they?d turn the eyes back on and engage the PCs. You couldn?t see the NPCs at all until you were right upon them, and even then you?d often miss the in the dark if they didn?t have their eyes on. And all the critters were low body, low damage. But it forced the pcs to always be on their toes, and the critters spawned throughout the module area, so that they were a constant threat, but not the major one.
In ?Force of Nature? darkness and camouflage were once again used. The mod started in the evening, and went past dusk. One NPC, in camo gear and paint, with moderate level rogue stats. But it swung for disease, and was only KBable by an item that the PCs had to get. While the PCs were trying to get it, they?d fight the critter, kill it, and run to the next place as fast as they could. It would get back up, make chase, get everyone diseased, die, and then they had to walk towards the next place. It?d get back up, run through the group, re-diseasing everyone it could, and lay an ambush ahead of them. Repeat as necessary to get the job done. It had the advantage of speed and surprise, but they had the numbers and power to kill it. But they never knew where it was.
Hate. What a better motivator then Hate? Not an irritating kind of ?Man, I hate that guy.? Get people to really despise an NPC. I think that the most recent time that that may have happened was with Raphael. I heard at least a half dozen times ?Man, as soon as I get some proof, I?m gonna kill that guy!?
Revenge/Vengeance/Justice. Same basic motivator, something bad happened, and rather then setting it right (or in addition to), hunting down the SOB that did it, and making him pay for it. I actually don?t have an example for this one, it really hasn?t happened in a while, or at least not that I can think of just now.
Loyalty. The last time I heard someone yell ?For the Queen!? or something like that, I think it was Slice, and she was Fey Cursed at the time to yell it. There hasn?t really been anything worth being loyal to in some time, so I don?t have an example for this, either.

All these things lead me to the absolute most important thing to a good NERO event. Combat with a Purpose. There has to be combat, and without a purpose, it?s just hack and slash. I hate hack and slash. Even as my fighter I hate hack and slash. No one wants to be the guy who kills the Grizzly Bear on the trail just because it was a combat encounter. Same with Kobalds. (In Seattle, at least, OR kobalds are entirely different.) They?re just irritating, they?re not a combat encounter. Unless I?m off to slay the Kobald King, there?s no purpose to fighting them.

Hmm.. the thing told me it wasn't going to post the long one, so I started puting it in chunks, but then I noticed that it had indeed posted the long one. Can an admin delete the one titled "Part 1 of 2", as well as this message? That "only 2 minutes to edit your post" thing is pretty irritating when you need to use it. :p
~Matt, OR variety

One more thing I forgot to put in:

NO SILLY PLOTS.

I don't come to NERO to see silly stuff. It just turns me off and removes me from believing the game. While JP in a dress is beautiful and all, unless there's a damn good *serious* reason for it (for example, hiding from the hags so they don't take him away is a good reason, while sending him out just to be ridiculous is not a good reason) it takes away from the atmosphere and does not add anything for me. Seeing big purple dinosaurs chasing small children also takes away from the atmosphere (yes, this DID happen at one point -- Daryl and Barry are probably the only people around who will remember it). Etc. etc.

-Bryan

PS Oh yeah, and Matt is my hero for his dissertation.

Lately I've been happy with plot, it seems that alot of people have been debating and struggling over this whole "Need more combat" thing. I personally hate games like Diablo. Because of that, I've never really had much intrest in "Hack n' Slash". I do enjoy nero combat, I think it is fun to partake in and can make for tense situations where you feel like you are in real danger. I'll not point fingers (cause theres no reason + its rude) but I just dont understand why people feel the need to kill every thing that comes their way. Also, it seems that lots of GOOD plot goes out, but because of the need to kill everything, alot of adventurers miss out on (or ignore, because it isnt waving a claw at them) quite often. I know this will rowl up some agrivated reposts, but like I said before- I'm not pointing ANY fingers.
I just know that it seems like alot of the people who say they want more plots or need to feel involved more, are either not getting involved themselves, or are more interested in that next death spell (or backstab, or slay... whatever, you choose).

That being said, I have felt like alot of the threats in game are building. Most likely because a major plot line is causing said events. However, if all the hordes and floods monsters is just to satisfy blood lust then I think we are loosing out on the thing that makes nero SEATTLE stand out among others that we wont mention. PLOT.

Hopefully I didnt offend anyone, and if I did- Its all in your head, cause I am not assaulting anyone in particular. And if you feel it was you, bare in mind I have played NERO in Kentucky too, so I may not even be referring to you at all! ^^

And finally, I'd like to thank all of Nero Seattle's staff for being awsome and keeping things fresh. I look forward to the next event and more fopping!
~Sean
Izlude Oranes

You filthy jerk, I will KILL YOU! IN THE EYE!

But... it felt so great to get that last backstab.

Hayley knows what I like. Activity.

I want to go out, and do something.
Be it rob the town blind, try to fix some trees and end up with a reverse life force, or just saving the damsel in distress, as long as it's not sitting around the tavern getting randomly mugged by hordes of monsters (What did Lorenzo do to them anyways?) Not to say that random tavern attacks shouldn't happen, just when they happen, I like to be somewhere else, making new friends like Sliver, for example. Essentially, I like me some mods, Go somewhere, do something, be punished/rewarded in some form.

I'm not saying that theres anything wrong with getting new skill at ALL! I guess my post also kinda sounded that way. I suppose its mostly me just thinking in the mindset of, people who are in it just to get more stuff to kill things with remind me of the reason I dont like to play games like Diablo, Shadowbane, Lineage II, or other powergaming style RPGs. Mods rule, and I would really like to see more lair cards go out. That was the awsome thing I remember from my FIRST nero event ever. I got a group togather (all of us were new) and went looking for adventure. We found it (in the form of a little orange card) and had a blast.

~Sean

By the way, THANK YOU EVERYONE!! This is extremely helpful! Please keep posting, ya'll!

~Hayley

And thank you Matt for your insight! (geez, were you up all night writing that?)

Back