Quiver question

I'm new to the archery/quiver thing so I want to make sure I got this right. The volume has to be 64" per 20 arrows. Volume=Length x Width x Height. I r smart!

I have this leather pouch that is 8" long and 8" high. If I stick a piece of cardboard at the bottom of the pouch it will come to a little over 5" wide. So the volume would be 320", which is 5 times the required volume. Therefore I could carry as many as 100 arrows in this pouch (not that I would). That seems so wrong, but the math works out. Am I doing something wrong, or is this how it is with Alliance quivers? I'm getting ready for my next event in June and I want to make sure I got this down.

Thanks, folks!

One pouch = one quiver, regardless of size. In order to carry 100 arrows you would need 5 quivers. Keep in mind that quivers can be physrepped and don't actually have to be able to hold the arrow packets themsleves.

Hammerfist said:
One pouch = one quiver, regardless of size. In order to carry 100 arrows you would need 5 quivers. Keep in mind that quivers can be physrepped and don't actually have to be able to hold the arrow packets themsleves.

Let me quote you the rule from the rulebook regarding quivers:

Quivers: An archer may not have more arrow or bolt tags on them than they have room for in their quivers. One quiver may hold up to 20 arrows or bolts. A quiver is defined as any pouch or container whose dimensions are a minimum volume of 64" with no dimension smaller than 1". A foam phys rep of a quiver may also be used. For each multiple of the maximum quiver volume, a quiver can hold an additional 20 arrows or bolts. You may carry as many quivers as you are able.

That to me says if the quiver's volume is twice as big as the minimum you can carry 40 arrows/bolts in it. Three times as big = 60 arrows/bolts, and so on. Isn't this correct?

Gee-Perwin said:
Hammerfist said:

Quivers: An archer may not have more arrow or bolt tags on them than they have room for in their quivers. One quiver may hold up to 20 arrows or bolts. A quiver is defined as any pouch or container whose dimensions are a minimum volume of 64" with no dimension smaller than 1". A foam phys rep of a quiver may also be used. For each multiple of the maximum quiver volume, a quiver can hold an additional 20 arrows or bolts. You may carry as many quivers as you are able.

That to me says if the quiver's volume is twice as big as the minimum you can carry 40 arrows/bolts in it. Three times as big = 60 arrows/bolts, and so on. Isn't this correct?

That's my reading as well. And a nice change from last edition. :) (edited to take my comment out of the quote)

Maybe i am looking into this to much but....

Quivers: An archer may not have more arrow or bolt tags on them than they have room for in their quivers.

wouldn't this also mean a person can never pick up arrows as treasure unless they have a quiver on them? I dont think that is the intent.

Jevedor said:

Quivers: An archer may not have more arrow or bolt tags on them than they have room for in their quivers.

wouldn't this also mean a person can never pick up arrows as treasure unless they have a quiver on them? I dont think that is the intent.

I think that applies a lot like when you find a weapon as treasure on a monster. One event last year I ended up with three strengthened weapons (one of which was a 2H'er). It's a strange situation since you aren't handed the phys rep. I just made it a point to immediately go back to my cabin and drop the weapon tag off.

That statement says "An archer" at the start of it, so that's who it applies to. If you aren't an archer and you find arrows obviously you wouldn't have a quiver to put them in. Walking around with them the whole event would be wrong, but holding them for a short period of time isn't the issue (like in the situation I described above).

I believe the intent is that you need a quiver for every set of arrows you intend on using.
If you intended on using thoughs arrows you would need a quiver.

Gee-Perwin said:
Hammerfist said:

I am reading it that same way. Apparently my thoughts on the subject are outdated.

It would follow the same rule as potions or scrolls from loot. If you kill a goblin and he gives you a tag for a Magic Armor potion without a vial phys rep to go along with it, and you identify it and don't have a Magic Armor active but you'd like one, you can drink it on the spot and use it without having to first go back to your cabin and get a vial for it. If you loot a tag for ten arrows and only have one minimum sized quiver equipped that is already full, I'd say if before you get back to town you get into another fight and end up firing off more than the twenty you had in your quiver you're fine.

Jevedor said:

An arrow packet is not In Game unless you have a tag for it, so you can pick up all the arrow phys reps you want -- you just can't use them without the correct number of tags.

You could have a bag with 1,000 arrow packets, but if you only have a tag for 20 arrows, that's all you have, In Game.

On the other hand, you can't have more tags than you have the ability to rep; let's say you have 10 quivers of tags, but you only can rep 2 quivers - you are carrying 8 more quivers of tags than you can rep ... so you have to leave those other tags off of your person (in your cabin in a box, let's say).

Furthermore, if you have room for two quivers of arrow, and only have 32 arrow and two quivers worth of tags (40 arrows), you can pick up arrow phys-reps and use them until you have "shot" 40 arrows. Then you can go back to your cabin/armory/whatever, and pick up additional tags equal to the number of quivers you are repping and pick up arrows from the ground (while fighting/running/while in a hold, etc) to "fire".

It's the quiver phys-rep that determines how many arrow (or bolt) tags you can have on you ... and not the number of arrow (or bolt) packets you have in your possession.
-------------------------------------
Not a marshall - just an archer.

Togashin said:
I believe the intent is that you need a quiver for every set of arrows you intend on using.

Then why does it say, "For each multiple of the maximum quiver volume, a quiver can hold an additional 20 arrows or bolts?" Guess I need that clarified (and I guess I should have posted this in Rules).

I pulled out the old rulebook to see what it says on quivers. It has the exact same wording, except the "For each multiple of the maximum quiver volume, a quiver can hold an additional 20 arrows or bolts," sentence at the end. So up until now you needed a quiver for every 20 arrows, but this doesn't appear to be the case any more.

Gee-Perwin said:
Togashin said:

Then why does it say, "For each multiple of the maximum quiver volume, a quiver can hold an additional 20 arrows or bolts?" Guess I need that clarified (and I guess I should have posted this in Rules).

I didn't mean to say that wasn't the case, i meant that you would need the space in a quiver if you intended on using the new arrows.

Ondreij said:
Jevedor said:

An arrow packet is not In Game unless you have a tag for it, so you can pick up all the arrow phys reps you want -- you just can't use them without the correct number of tags.

You could have a bag with 1,000 arrow packets, but if you only have a tag for 20 arrows, that's all you have, In Game.

On the other hand, you can't have more tags than you have the ability to rep; let's say you have 10 quivers of tags, but you only can rep 2 quivers - you are carrying 8 more quivers of tags than you can rep ... so you have to leave those other tags off of your person (in your cabin in a box, let's say).

Furthermore, if you have room for two quivers of arrow, and only have 32 arrow and two quivers worth of tags (40 arrows), you can pick up arrow phys-reps and use them until you have "shot" 40 arrows. Then you can go back to your cabin/armory/whatever, and pick up additional tags equal to the number of quivers you are repping and pick up arrows from the ground (while fighting/running/while in a hold, etc) to "fire".

It's the quiver phys-rep that determines how many arrow (or bolt) tags you can have on you ... and not the number of arrow (or bolt) packets you have in your possession.
Not a marshall - just an archer.

Didn't say anything about picking up packets, said picking up arrows as treasure, which I took to mean you kill something and loot it and it gives you a tag for 20 arrows.

In response to that last bit on packets...I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to carry more packets then you have tags for. don't have my rule book on me though.

So lets go back to my original post where I have a pouch whose volume is 320". I understand it doesn't need to be the place you actually keep your arrows, but I want it to be. I could walk around town with this one pouch and fill it with 100 arrow tags & packets (I'd probably max it at 50 because there is no way I'm carrying that much). This is perfectly legal, correct?

Lookie, I got pictures:

pouch1.jpg

pouch2.jpg

According to my measurements & understanding of the rules I'd be just fine using this as a quiver with 50 arrows in it.

And yes, I need to put my girls' dirty dishes from breakfast in the dishwasher. :p

i think its straight forward enough to say you can only have as many packets as arrows, just as you can only manifest as many magic packets as you can actually cast. At least that has been what i have been told in the past.

Ondreij said:

My statement before didn't really have anything to do with that. But as the rules are worded it makes it sound like it is not possible to carry arrows period unless you have the quiver aka... if i loot said goblin and it has dropped 20 arrows. If i don't have a quiver I can't pick that treasure up. If I did have a quiver but it was full i could also not pick it up. But I am fairly sure that this is not the case. I think the intent is I can in fact pick up the arrows I just cant use them because I do not have the quiver room for it. Just like i can pick up a sword as treasure without any technical way of carrying had it been reped.

The concern then is if I have this tag for 20 arrows some goblin dropped, and I shoot off the 20 arrows i did have room for I shouldnt be able to use those arrows i picked up until i go back to my treasury right? Because on the initial getting of those arrows I couldnt technically carry them/use them.

The way the rule is played is, if you are given loot in the form of a tag with no phys rep while on a mod, the rules of repping are suspended until you get back to town at which point you are expected to take the tags to your cabin and either put them in/on a rep and continue to use them or put them in your loot pile. For weapon/armor tags, this means if you are using a normal longsword and it gets shattered, but you looted a long sword tag two fights back, you can slap that on your rep and call it good, but you can't just carry that extra sword tag with you all day and do the same thing. Same thing goes for potions, scrolls, or in this case arrows. You can loot the arrows, even shoot them off while still on the mod, but when you get back to town either stow them or grab an extra quiver rep and put it on.

That makes sense. clarification noted.

I don't believe the practice of providing NPCs with unrepped tags is kosher. Don't the rules infer, imply, or outright say that treasure mus go out as repped items? I know that this is not always practical -- which is why there is a Goblin Stamp policy.

If this is true, then the props people need to beg for rep donations a little more valiantly.

Anybody need phial reps? I've donated hundreds. I can donate hundreds more. What am I bid? 2GS per phial with cap? Do I hear 3GS?

Back