Races, and names

Hey I was trying to come up with some characters, but as for names, I don't know the basic "rules" for names. For example, I DO know that Orcs generally have short names that use U's and K's, and there is often an apostrophe in there. But I don't know at all how the other races names generally sound. I would imagine that elves are long and elegant, and gypsies will be rather russian. Could you guys help? Maybe give me some examples you have come across?

I have an infinite supply of naming ability. For what race do you need a name?

Check with your local campaign, see what they based their stone elf culture off of, go from there. It varies wildly, so best to check.

I had asked this question a while ago when putting names into my Background history, and there were some very good suggestions at how to make SE names from the replies. Here's the link: http://alliancelarp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=3893 I particularly liked the "close your eyes and point at cities in India, Tibet, and Malaysia" one. Tibet came up with some awesome ones.

Fynwei said:
I had asked this question a while ago when putting names into my Background history, and there were some very good suggestions at how to make SE names from the replies. Here's the link: http://alliancelarp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=3893 I particularly liked the "close your eyes and point at cities in India, Tibet, and Malaysia" one. Tibet came up with some awesome ones.
Yeah, I already read that. It helped a little, but I still don't have much of an idea for how they should sound. And also, I posted this question more so I could get an idea of the other races.

I often like looking up online lists of names and also obscure Tolkien names and sometimes adjusting the lettering to shape the sound into something I enjoy and sound fantasy related. :)

I don't really know much as far as chapter specifics go, but here's my thoughts as far as race-related name stuff goes:

Dwarf: First names not long, though not necessarily as short as orc or barbarian names. I try to use a lot of "o"s and "i"s in their first names. When I think dwarven last names, I think of the "adjective-noun" combination (For example, JRR Tolkien's Thorin Oakenshield. We have a dwarf in the SoMN chapters whose last name is Strongbeard. See the trend? Smash together a pair of words that have to do with toughness and dwarven culture and you have a last name.) or a name that connects to dwarven culture in a subtle way(For example, should I ever play a dwarf [which probably won't happen, considering I just don't think I could pull off the dwarf look. I have more of an elven build.], my dwarf's name will be Grir Feconi. Feconi comes from the metals Iron (Fe), Cobalt (Co), and Nickel (Ni), which sit side by side on the periodic table, spelling the word Feconi. Considering dwarves are great metal craftsman and whatnot [and Grir certainly would have plenty of blacksmith ranks], this makes sense as a name, though it's not as blatant as if his name was something like Grir Ironhelm.).

Dryad: When I think dryads, I think names that sound "natural" and "earthy", though not necessarily overly plant-ish or long (For example, if you were a female dryad named something like Marigold or Lily, I’d roll my eyes at you. I mean, they’re not BAD names, but I think you could come up with something a bit less obviously planty, though still related). Especially since you are talking about a spore dryad in your possible character, I would try to head towards a darker and more furtive name. Unfortunately, at the time I cannot think of any male names for dryads, though I do have a few female ones (Dreya, Nandala, etc.). Think of their names as watered-down elf names. As far as last names go, I tend not to associate last names with dryads. However, if you choose to have one, go similar to what I said about dwarves, except change the adjective to something graceful or peaceful and the noun to something nature-y.

Dark Elf: These names are long, often have harsh sounds, silent letters, and whatnot. They tend to be like normal elf names, save for the fact that additional letters have been added (or removed), they become less graceful, apostrophe and hyphen use goes up, and separating the first and last name becomes near impossible (For example, I plan on playing a dark elf in the far future, and his name will something close to Jhal-karva Mar Aeo’di-Jrak. A first name is more easily discerned here, but you get the idea). That’s my view on dark elves, I know other people have radically different views, though.

Ogres and Orcs: I then to make these names pretty similar. They are short and often harsh. I like to use a lot of the “k” sound in these names, as well as a lot of the “o” sound (a perfect example of this is my next character, a High Ogre [if I can find the right stuff for him] by the name of Roko). The letter “r” is often crucial in these names as well. As for last names, forget out having one. They don’t need one, and having one as an ogre/orc just seems funny to me.

That's what I have right now, doing your list of possible characters in order, and I'll do the other ones in a little bit. Sorry I didn't get the stone elf up there yet, but you can think about those while I write about the others.

Eh, I guess I'll do the others now.

Mystic Wood Elf: For these, I like to think of just using ordinary, everyday names with slightly abnormal last names (For example, I plan on playing a MWE in future whose name will be Alexander Harches. Not too obvious fantasy sounding at all.). Obviously, make the first name not something REALLY ordinary, modern-day stuff (like don't name them something like Zach, because it just doesn't quite fit in). The last name you can have a lot of freedom with, as long as it isn't something like Johnson. ;)

Sarr: I ain't gonna lie: I haven't got anything for sarrs. Just make it sound vicious, I guess.

Stone Elf: For these, I tend to think they are graceful like ordinary elf names, though partially choppy and distorted like dark elf names. I view them as having a clearly defined first and last name, in which the first name is 2 to 3 syllables (some of the ones that pop into my head are Lazanar, Sodrin, etc.). I like to use "s"s a lot in these names. As with the dark elf, I like to use apostrophes and hyphens, but only rarely and only for the last name. That's my view on Stone Elves, and, like the dark elves, some other folks may have different views.

Gypsy: Just think of a flashy name that's either quick and simple or long and memorable (I plan on naming a gypsy of mine Cornelius). OTher than that, I haven't really got a whole lot to say. A lot of your gypsy name stuff also has to do with where your gypsy originated in-game and whatnot, so... yeah.

There you go. Ask if you need anything else. :D

Names are the trickiest parts of creating a character for me.

Right now I'm working on a Stone Elf and possibly later on a Snow Leopard Sarr.

The trick is I don't know where to begin with the names and I don't want to make a name that is way off base from what others pick.

When I had to name my first Dryad NPC, I looked up Latin names of plants and based the name on those. Aseria came from the Latin name for a maple tree, because I had a bunch of dead maple leaves to put in my hair (she was blighted). I did the same for another NPC Dryad, and the system seems to work pretty well.

My dark elf's name is an actual name in another language (the one her culture is based on), and because she's an earth caster, her name is "Priyal Vasundhara" which means "beloved/daughter of earth" (first and middle names). baby name websites are great if you have one word you can use to describe your character concept... you can narrow search lists by gender, nationality, and meaning on some of them.

There are also websites out there that generate fake names/addresses/personal info that writers can use if they're stuck. It's how I got my primary's family's names. You usually have to pick a gender and a country.

Thank you guys so much! this is exactly what I needed! Especially Ravens croft and phedre. This is more than enough info for me! thanks again!!

Glad I could be of service. Just come back to me if you need anything on any other races.

Well, for my Stone Elf I went the Tibet route for his surname: Amdo. It's the birthplace of the current Dalai Lama. For an HQ Stone Elf the Tibet motif plays well since Stone Elves come from a mountainous country with a philosophy of personal enlightenment. Another HQ Stone Elf (Hi, Ren/Amelia) has a robe decorated in Tibetan script.

For his first name I went to the Sci-Fi version of Stone Elves: the Vulcans of Star Trek. Many of the male names end in K, so i decided I wanted that. I played around with various letters, and even looked to the Minbari (of BABYLON 5) for inspiration, before deciding on Telokh.

I'm very particular about the names I choose for my characters. The concept for who they are and how I want to play them really comes out when choosing the name. In the end, just think about who your character is and feel your way from there. Look to your local race packet to see how the culture is designed in your home chapter. Look the real world cultures, languages and mythologies. The inspiration is out there.

My other characters and their naming conventions:

1) Kalaji ibn Faruq Am-khaibitu Entil'zha, Desert Sarr: a mixture of Arabic, Egyptian and a name stolen from BABYLON 5
2) Gyps, Vulture-kin: from Gyps fulvus, the latin for a specific vulture breed
3) MaDCap, crazy Raven-kin: trickster archetype....this one just came to me and was perfect
4) Nalong, Platypus-kin: means "source of the river" in an Australian Aboriginal language (can't recall which one)
5) Donatien Alphonse de Charenton, MWE: Given names of the historical Marquis de Sade and the asylum where he spent a large portion of his life
6) Podlash, Dryad: This one is a real-world surname that I saw on an address label. I wanted him to be angry and this just seemed to fit well.

<<4, 5 and 6 are, as yet, unplayed>>

Gandian Ravenscroft :"Sarr: I ain't gonna lie: I haven't got anything for sarrs. Just make it sound vicious, I guess. "
I like cats a lot... my personal thoughts for names for cat like creatures are 2 key things to think a bout (both suggestions not strict guide lines...)

1. the animal cut out should influence the name.
if its a lion maybe a L in the names would be good. such as Leo, Larwin Leara
if its a jaguar maybe a J or G sound would be good. Jethra Jerra Gathron
and so on.... quick note: rolling r's using guttural ascents over th's and e's will help all so avoiding sharp vowels, will take you a long ways.

2. use of animal sounds.
purr, roar, hiss
think of the animal cut out your useing, a Lion has a great roar and has a deep throated purr... TH,s big R's or Gr combos
A Jaguar in contrast has a higher picked roar with more of a hiss mixed in G's and little R's they will be your best friend here.
An Ocelot is quite but makes sounds more like a snake hiss cat fight and a motorized bike growl.. so S, H, K, G, R, are good letters to have in the name...

no mater what type it is have fun with it....
Leo, Larwin, Jethra, Jerra, Gathron, Karra, Leara, Janren, Shearra, Keara, Rath, Callie...

And, reminder you can all so draw names form cat like characteristics rather then sounds, such as Strider (action), Tybalt (characteristic EX: brave), Tabatha (coloration and patterning)

I would say a lot of this all so gos for wilderken, if its a gout name look at gout notices traits movements and coloration to draw inspiration from rather then just name it bob or billy....

Back