Races, and names

I think a great name would be "Scrambles the Death Dealer." Just sayin'

evi1r0n said:
I think a great name would be "Scrambles the Death Dealer." Just sayin'

I expect to see "Scrambles the Death Dealer" at the next event, preferably in the form of some sort of cute, fluffy Kin.

You can also go with different languages depending on your packet. I.e. If your packet is more Aztec based Sarr, go with Aztec type names...african etc.

You can also do literal translations, or translations that make sense to your character's personality (similar to what Phedre posted)

My character's name is nothing more than a variation of "Little Sister Mountain lion" in a different language.

Hope this helps,
-Ali

I got my dryad character's name from a cemetery
I got my gypsy character's name from a movie and an exchange student I knew

just don't make it something you're going to never remember the first time someone says "and what's your name?"

if it's like Telebrinark alBreshtik m'lak or something weird like that make sure you practice it over and over and over HEHHEHE

markusdark said:
I personally always try to keep my name simple. Amongst all the Trelvalliangists and Penumera Dongglefists, Bob becomes the 'unusual' name. :)

True story, I almost went with "Phil" for my human.

Lunchbond said:
markusdark said:
I personally always try to keep my name simple. Amongst all the Trelvalliangists and Penumera Dongglefists, Bob becomes the 'unusual' name. :)

True story, I almost went with "Phil" for my human.

LOL, i have 2 concepts for when/ if ever i have to not play Leata Moss...

1 is a rose /thorn dryad, named PrimRose

the other a butterfly Kin wilder kin... now that is going to be hard to name!

kittenpunk2 said:
When I read that, the first thing that popped into my head was Phoebe, which ain't half bad for a butterflykyn.

Gandian Ravenscroft said:
kittenpunk2 said:
When I read that, the first thing that popped into my head was Phoebe, which ain't half bad for a butterflykyn.

my favorite names in the world. RL gaming or other
1 Co-Ontay: cat, bunny, human -healer, Meaning "To go on"
2 Anntreen: human - archer, Meaning "Of the trees"
3 Keyru: mage, Meaning "Elemental stone"
4 Leata: fay, MWE, human - Healer, Meaning "Happy"
5 Krean: Meaning "To run with pride"
6 Alora: vampire - fighter, Meaning "My Dream"
7 PrimRose: dyadic (flowing thorn) -mage or fighter, meaning "Inconstancy"
8 Alondra: meaning "Song bird"
9 Cocoa: cat or wilder kin -fighter, Meaning "Sweet flower, and Brave worrier"
10 Crystal Ann-Marie: "Purity of/and kindness, taken with salt"
11 Thera : wilder kin 100%, Meaning "Wild"
12 Mckayla: meaning "Beheld from divinity"
13 Florana : dyadic last name, Meaning from "From flowers"

I find obscure references work well. Find a book you like (one that's not too popular), find a minor character or a rarely-mentioned last name, and steal that. My current gypsy character (Anazstaizia) was named using this method. At the very least, it gives you a starting point.

Also Scrambles the Death Dealer is the best Wylderkin name ever.

kittenpunk2 said:
I personally would use this one for some form of parasite (ie: Tick-kin). What racials would a tick-kin get, anyway?

kittenpunk2 said:
I personally would use this one for some form of parasite (ie: Tick-kin). What racials would a tick-kin get, anyway?

Dodge and resist poison imo

kittenpunk2 said:

Don't wilderken get to pick any 2 racial skills not counting gypsy curse... as long as they fit the animal prototype chosen for the wilderken .

I would think a Tick-kin would do well with resist poison and racial assassinate, ticks don't get sick even when feeding on ill blood, and they can brow in with out being noticed till its to late but a gin just my thoughts.

but the name Co-Ontay no way!!! maybe Thax (th-axe)or Von or Flent or brax (br-axe)

As for a butterfly kin i was thinking resist magic, and racial dodge, because butterflys can be hard to catch, and there just magical to have a round... now if i was thinking more moth kin i would go resist poison and resist fear. because moths are sneaky resistant things, and a lot of moth types are poisonous.

cinnabar_moth.jpg

lol a necromantic moth kin
Oleander_Hawk-moth.jpg

a healer/earth moth kin
090907_anicia_checkerspot.jpg

alchemy butterfly kin?
butterfly.gif

Fire mage butterfly kin (evil grin)
17595-bigthumbnail.jpg

Ice mage!!! cool

O' and I found a list of names/words meaning butterfly from a round the world, I found one i like and think would fit the concept for my butterfly wilderkin elemental caster
Nova:
(language) Native American Hopi name meaning chases butterflies Also a modern English name derived from Latin novus, meaning new
Nova:
(Astronomy) a star that suddenly becomes thousands of times brighter and then gradually fades to its original intensity.

I just can't think of a good last name now, any ideas !?

A good way to find names is to look up a latin list of scientific names, plants or animals, and condense or crop one of those names.

Just for fun, I'm going to post how I came up with my character's name, as it is somewhat related to the topic.

Barbarians are supposed to be unaware of social and cultural subtleties. I knew this character concept was going to be a Barbarian and use a ranged weapon, so I went a-google-ing archery terms and obscurely "famous" archers. In my browsing, I came across the name for the ancient chinese repeating crossbow used in the classic military strategy guide "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. The name of this weapon was mistranslated into English as "Choko Nu" as whoever first translated it did not understand the subtleties of tone in the Chinese language. So, by having a missed cultural subtlety in conjunction with the primary weapon of this character (a great crossbow), along with the appropriate rhythm and sound of the name, Cho Ko Nu was a great match for this character. I do not intend to offend anyone of Chinese heritage, I simply find humor in the link between Barbarians and the mistranslation of a word, that happened to be Chinese, due to a cultural misunderstanding.

Back