Races, regions, and language

Dang, still need to learn more, I only got part of that. (Teaching one's self Latin is not as easy as they pretend. But at least it's entertaining.)

So, in response to your counter, and to confuse the issue by further mixing languages, I can only say "touche"!

I believe Hogwart's motto does apply in your case, Marcena:

"Draco dormiens numquam titillandus".

I have been forewarned and checked. ;)

ChrisO (Who needs more learnin', dammit)

Ko govorite srpski ili hrvatski?

tieran said:
NJ suggested the use of several real world languages for different races in their packets (the only one I remember is Farsi for the Sand Elves).

There's nothing in my race packet about using Farsi for Sand Elf. Since the initial onslaught of the Oasi we've been using Arabic, both for our names and a little for actual speech. Perry once mentioned something about Farsi being more appropriate for some reason, but nothing official from plot. Then again, perhaps Arabic is what the Sarr and Scavvies spoke before the elves came to the desert. Either way, Arabic is what we actually use.

Actually, a few of us have Egyptian in our names, too.

---ME

chriso said:
Dang, still need to learn more, I only got part of that. (Teaching one's self Latin is not as easy as they pretend. But at least it's entertaining.)

So, in response to your counter, and to confuse the issue by further mixing languages, I can only say "touche"!

I believe Hogwart's motto does apply in your case, Marcena:

"Draco dormiens numquam titillandus".

I have been forewarned and checked. ;)

ChrisO (Who needs more learnin', dammit)

I've never seen Harry Potter; but did you just say something about tickling a sleeping dragon?! Did I read that right?

Bravo!

Yes, "Never tickle a sleeping dragon" is about right. :)

In Alliance, my character would never tickle a sleeping dragon, of course. Much better to poke 'em in the eye and make fun of their mothers' scales. They like that.

I just have to figure out how to translate such an insult into Latin, then I will be happy.

As for the other quote I used (for those who are interested. All two of you):

"Ire audacter eo quo nemo antea." = "To boldly go where no man has gone before."

(Though, to be accurate, it would read "To go boldly" or "Boldly to go", Latin not having a way to split an infinitive.)

ChrisO (Who, really, should just go find a Latin class to take, and do this right.:)

Latin classes are a waste of money. Learn alone. And ALWAYS pronounce v as w and ae as eye. And who got the idea that vici is pronounced "veechee"?!

Heh. Thanks for the info! And yeah, you're right.

Of course, now I have to watch myself in correcting people's pronunciation of every-day words like Caesar, Cicero, Julius. (I try not to be a total wanker, ya know.:)

Okay, now where's that Latin textbook I bought a couple years ago. I know it's around here somewhere....

:)
ChrisO

Marcena said:
Latin classes are a waste of money. Learn alone. And ALWAYS pronounce v as w and ae as eye. And who got the idea that vici is pronounced "veechee"?!

So "Caesar" rhymes with "miser"?

Yes. And Cicero is not pronounce "Siseroh". They would have said "Kikeron". And "K-eye-sir" would've said "way-nee, weedee, weekee".

Yep. If you really want to pander to Latin purists, instead of saying "Julius ", say "Oolioos" ("J" pronounced "U/Oo").

Incidentally, it's where we get the word Tsar and Czar (As in the Russian Czars).

Latin. It's the Monty Python language. (As in "I'm not dead yet! I'm getting better!")

;)
~LM

J was I, silly. Since it was spelled Iulius, it was said "Oolioos". Jehova was said originally "ee-eh-o-wa" if you want to be technical. I don't, I like the "j" sound that emerged early in the sixth century. If not just because "ee-yes-ee" doesn't work for me. :)

Heh. Well, I've been enjoying our conversation, in any event. And we've contributed to raising the "intellectual bar" on the Alliance boards, which I think affords us no small degree of self-satisfaction, if nothing else.

Take that, Oxford!

;)
ChrisO

There is no redemption.

I've long known that the proper pronunciation of "magi" is mah-gee (hard G). I suppose the other reveletions shouldn't be so much of a surprise.

That's it! We should all just go back to speaking in Latin. Since so many of you already sight read it, why not? :)

Back