Rain-Proofing for Stone Elves?

Samyania

Scholar
Or any other makeup race, really. This is going to be my first fall as a Stone Elf with the Seattle chapter, and I want to keep my resemblance to Grumpy Cat to the absolute minimum.

Any advice on keeping makeup in place under rainy conditions?

I vote to embrace your Grumpy Catness and accept it. :D

If you are in the planning-your-garb phase, plan for a hood. Even a simple cloth cowl with a hood can keep a lot of rain off of your head/hair/face. If you are good with needle and thread (or have a sewing machine!) there is a pretty simple pattern here: http://moirandalls.com/graphics/hoodbig.jpg

Last edited:
Additionally, setting powder and barrier spray help immensely! Apply makeup, then setting powder, then barrier spray. I've slept with ogre makeup on like that and was good the next day.

Seconding barrier spray! Tho for a dark elf I did: barrier spray, makeup, powder, more makeup, powder, barrier spray. Stuff didn't smudge all weekend.

3rd: as my wolfkin I do one makeup, setting powder, and setting. At that point, rarely having to do touch ups even after doing a shower (without face scrubbing).

Eba Endura airbrush makeup. It's expensive...and you need an airbrush. But it's waterproof. You can wear it in a chlorine pool and it won't come off. Cirque uses it for their water shows.

Eba Endura airbrush makeup. It's expensive...and you need an airbrush. But it's waterproof. You can wear it in a chlorine pool and it won't come off. Cirque uses it for their water shows.
Is there a special chemical remover?

I usually just take a shower and scrub with soap or shampoo. It's alchohol based, so it's likely an alcohol based cleaner or regular rubbing alcohol would take it off easier, but I've never felt the need to.

Scott, what airbrush do you use?

Okay the alcohol based stuff is what I *have* to use. Creme makeup is itchy to me and I sweat profusely under it. Water based otherwise makeup (that you use the barrier spray on) I also can sweat off in about an hour, the sealant only does so much. I still eat through the alcohol based stuff (especially when stubble comes in over the weekend) BUT with like a tiny touchup saturday morning, and a decent touchup sunday morning its great. Majority lasts all weekend. And I barely feel that its there, just feels a little dry/tight to my skin, and sticky on the surface if I don't use powder.

Best IS applied with Airbrush, we have brought the compressor and airbrush a few times. You can makeup sponge and regular brush this stuff on, but it's not as amazing. Lately I have been doing a white chin down to neck thing under my mask with sponge/brush. Looks fine, stays on fine.

Airbrushing you will want to thin out the stuff a tiny bit with alcohol (Rule of Thumb: 2% milk), but we have sprayed it directly with no thinning. It tends to dry out a bit over time, so first time opening, fine, but eventually you will want to thin it a bit. Clean the airbrush well after each use, this stuff sucks when it gums up an airbrush.

Do NOT apply this stuff around your eyes. Omg. I did by accident pulling the wrong stuff out and not being all "Hey, this smells like alcohol" and it stung, A LOT. I'm also a huge wuss when it comes to makeup and stuff all over my face though.

***Powder this stuff after it sets on your face. Feels amazing and gets rid of any stickyness for the majority of the day.

Is there a special chemical remover?

Soap and water and a lot of scrubbing. Takes a ton of work for me to get it all off that way. -OR- Get 90%+ rubbing alcohol, soak a bit of a paper towel, and kinda dab/wipe off (no need to super scrub). Comes off in about 30 seconds or less of work for me with the rubbing alcohol (I think we use 97%?). Use lotion on the area you used the alcohol on after to prevent frying your skin.

I just use a cheap $15 one I got online. I don't do any detailing so it works fine. It wouldn't be any good for artistic stuff. I got my compressor for $5 at a garage sale. I'd recommend external mix airbrushes for the alcohol based stuff as they are way easier to clean than an internal mix.

Also, eba endura works terribly without an airbrush. My compressor broke halfway through getting orced up at Dragon Con and I tried sponging it on. It was pretty much a non starter.

Use Isopropyl Myristate to remove alcohol based make-up. Then use baby wipes to get the greasy feeling off your skin. Take a shower and you are good to go. Pretty quick.

If you do a barrier spray, all nighter at sephora works great and wonders. Absolutely splendid

New character here. Will be playing a. Stone elf. Looking for info on best paint for airbrushing and also dealing with facial hair. The set up don't matter as much as i have most of it already

New discovery as of late: PAX -its prosthetic adhesive+ Acrylic paint. It works really well and seems to combine with various setting sprays. On its own it is very stretchy and waterproof and those things just enhance that. Will not require setting powder to remove tack if you use the new formula that is specifically made for pax. http://www.makeupmedley.com/medical/pros-aide/pros-aide-no-tack-2-fl-oz/

Simply google 'Pax' and 'sfx makup' for best information : )

While I tend to be more towards the green side, I've had rather good luck with ben nye make up and then some form of barrier spray. I've been using one from mehron, 'cause that's what I could find at a store and not have to pay shipping. I also wash my face before going to bed, so I haven't used it for longer then one day but it holds up the entire time. Didn't do that once and there was green everywhere!

New discovery as of late: PAX -its prosthetic adhesive+ Acrylic paint. It works really well and seems to combine with various setting sprays. On its own it is very stretchy and waterproof and those things just enhance that. Will not require setting powder to remove tack if you use the new formula that is specifically made for pax. http://www.makeupmedley.com/medical/pros-aide/pros-aide-no-tack-2-fl-oz/

Simply google 'Pax' and 'sfx makup' for best information : )
PAX can (no idea of the new formula) be very dangerous on the face because it is watertight- people I know who have used in on their arms for cosplay get 'bubbles' of sweat under it and it wrecks skin because oxygen can't get to it. It's also hard to get off- I can only imagine how hard it would be to get it off of the face.
I like Mehron Aquacolor, but all paints work differently on different people. I suggest you invest in hats/hoods for the rainy weather. Alcohol based paint will probably work best.

I got it off the face just fine with makeup remover and a little alcohol, the new formula (no tack) is especially gracious : ) - it does take some effort tho. No bubble issues for me either- but it does need to be applied very thin. I would avoid useng it directly on eyelids tho, maybe something else in combination.

Last edited:
Sephora has a all-nighter barrier spray that's a little pricey but lasts FOREVER and I swear by it. A must for rain and hot sweaty events for make up races.

Also a light dusting of power after application before spray does a lot to. Also makes it look natural and not too shiny.

Back