Rezzies

I have a few questions concerning the nature of resurrection,

1. When performing the resurrection, does the storytelling need to be roleplayed? It seems to me like it does, but i just want to clarify.

2. If, indeed, roleplaying must be done, what is the in-game consideration of the story? is it a verbal communication between storyteller and the spirit, or is it non-verbal, and as such could be done under the effect of a silence without being considered unguided?

Just some ponderings

-Jon

mostly yes a story should be done. The story is what brings the spirit back to the mortal world. A good story makes the resurection easyer for the character to deal with, a bad story can lead to some fun RP. As I have been told, no story means battle rez sort of deal.

Incorrect. The book only specifies that the spirit needs to be guided. It does not say how this needs to be done. While a story is the most common method used, it is by no means the only method available.

Be creative. The point is to have 10 minutes of doing something other than just sitting around.

A good example of this is I, as Slice, was once made to dance during my ressurection, and play the piano if I recall correctly. There was little actual story, but roleplay of one sort or another did occur. In order to battle rezz one must no longer be guided. I believe there is a time duration on this, but I do not recall and I am not near a book.

There's no actual time duration on it. Nor does the book really specify what a guided resurrection is. In fact, this is what the book actually specifies:

-The rezzer must be invested to start the resurrection.
-You must have healing arts to complete a resurrection.
-The person completing the resurrection must remain in the circle during the resurrection.
-Roleplaying a resurrection is typically done via a story from the rezzer to the rezzee.

So, you don't have to have healing arts to start a resurrection. You only have to be invested in the circle. However, you cannot complete or rather guide the resurrection without the skill healing arts. If someone who is merely invested in the circle begins the resurrection, the spirit would continue to resurrect on it's own, thus an unguided resurrection.

The ten minute duration is intended to be filled with roleplay of some sort. Y'know, to keep you from talking about that football game you're missing.

Note: The book does not specifically state that you must remain in the circle. Rather, if gives fairly clear indication that you must be in the circle to start and continue the resurrection.

Sarah said:
-Roleplaying a resurrection is typically done via a story from the rezzer to the rezzee.
On this point alone, I've seen some pretty amazing roleplay. I've seen some characters that have defined themselves as such strong spirits that they pull the person doing the resurrection into a story they are experiencing.

The key, is roleplay. Roleplay. Roleplay.

From Holly's anectode I can then assume that the storytelling need not be verbal, and as such can be done spirit to spirit by a character under the influence of a silence or a mute character. Are there any book excerpts or marshall rulings to back this up?

Or you can play an instrument. Or play a game of chess.

I repeat, you roleplay the encounter. You do not have to tell a story.

Ahhh, so what you're asking is, can you tell an IG story to the spirit you are rezzing so that no one sitting right next to you in the circle IG can hear what you are telling them? Not sure. I'll poke the head of rules about it this evening and see if he has something to say on the matter.

While not a current Marshal, the actual story was always IG and verbal. The book description doesn't allow for any two way communication actually, the healer doing the resurrection is actually telling a story to the spirit to calm it and make it feel at ease with dying/living. This is not a 'dreaming' or 'mental' type of contact according to the rules, but I've seen too many healers assume it was and roleplay it that way.

Straight rules says no. Prior roleplay precedence says yep. Spirit of the rules says who the hell knows??? Luckilly, I almost always leave the spirit to itself for the resurrection and don't care either way.

"Roleplaying a resurrection usually involves the healer telling a calming story to the person being resurrected."

The rulebook gives an example and suggestion of how to perform a resurrection. It does not state that a story is explicitly the only way to do so. Not only that, but it DOES specifically state that you can choose to have your character remember it or NOT.

As far as the rules state, you can do a puppet show for the spirit. The spirit should be able to see this visual story as well as it'd hear it, since the spirit can identify the person resurrecting it, and vice versa, provided they know each other already. (That bit about recognition is also in the rulebook.)

:mad:

I would like you all to stop and consider for a moment just how intimately familiar I am with the rules about resurrections. I cannot recall how many I performed over the two+ years I spent being woken up at all hours of the night, repeatedly, by you, my fellow players, to the point where *I* became physically ill.

Now, I can keep quoting the rulebook at you. Or you can just take the word of a marshal for it.

I don't think that addresses what Jon is asking about at all. He's specifically wanting to know if the storyteller can do the telling telepathically or not.

According to the rules, it is a one way story telling. If you want to use hand-puppets thats fine, but even a Biata or another race with mental powers technically can't use them them on a spirit during a resurrection (there isn't a body to touch until the resurrection is done).

The spirit also cannot relay information to the person doing the resurrection. It is actually a straight 'this is what happens' type of story, rather than a choose your own adventure. ;)

As an FYI- I'd actually always prefer Marshal qoute the rulebook. The book is right when Marshals can often be wrong. It prevents a lot of errors from creeping into the game due to bad memory, various edition changes, and lack of sleep. (My god, if I can only count the number of adjudications I've seen over the years that could have been prevented with a rulebook.)

This is a word for word quote from the rulebook:

Roleplaying out a resurrection usually involved the healer telling a calming story to the person being resurrected. This is usually tailored toward the character's race. Each and every story should abide by the NERO rules and any problems should be reported to a marshall.

Nowhere in that statement does it say that the person is speaking aloud to anyone and everyone in the area. One could even inferr that since it says "to the person being resurrected" that this is, in fact, only being heard/experienced by the person resurrecting, and anyone else sitting nearby would just see the person doing the resurrection calmly sitting in the circle dozing. Personally, that's how I've always treated both being resurrecting and performing them, but since it's so ambiguous in the rules as to what the method of communication then it's up to the individual doing the resurrection to do it how they want, through mental guidance or outloud berating the spirit and cajoling it back to interpretive dance to tell the saga of the cycle of life and all our places in it.

Actually, the way mind powers function is a bit of a loophole in the rules. They inherently violate the no bodily contact rule. (You touch the person and stare intently into their eyes or close your eyes.) This is player to player contact, not character to character contact. And there are, in fact, mind powers that can NOT be refused by the character, but can still be refused or accepted by the player.

That being said, they're also a no-BP skill for the races that get them. They can be refused at any time, by any one. You can simply choose to have the effect wear off. This means they are a roleplay-only skill.

Since a resurrection is a roleplay-only encounter (at least until the body is formed), I would argue that there's no good reason why you couldn't tell a story telepathically so long as your character has that ability. You can't force them to remember it (per the rules of both mind powers and resurrecting). I would argue that doing so would have to have the rules for resurrections supercede mind powers (you can only tell a story, you can't pick their brain for information.)

I totally agree with your intent, Sarah, but the one thing someone is bound to point out is that mind powers require you to physically touch the person in order to start the mind link, and they don't have a physical body to touch. Could it be argued to be a special case? Sure, but the same argument could be argued that "well that's the rule, if you can't physically touch em then you can't link to their mind" so I'd send a PM to Bryan and get his take on all this and settle it once and for all as far as Seattle's rule on how resurrections are done.

There's no character to touch... but there *is* a player to touch. (Which is why I tried to be very precise in my wording, by the way.) Mind powers are one of those "you're doing it out of game, so you're doing it in game" things. Because you're touching the player, you're also touching the character.

*shrug* Whatever.

Aha, touche. You are correct I did not make that distinction when reaing it but you're absolutely right.
However, when looking that up I noticed another hitch. It says that while doing the mind contact you can use no other IG skills, but it requires you to have Healing Arts to conduct a resurrection. Does this mean you are actively using this skill throughout the whole resurrection? Does Healing Arts fall under the category of a non-skill for the purposes of determining IG skill usage (by which I mean would it fall under the umbrella of yes it is an IG skill but it's passive like Read/write and therefore you never lose the ability through such things as Drain, and if that's the case then I'd guess that using it does not constitute "using another IG ability").
Bear in mind here I'm not trying to be an ***, I just would like to get all the kinks worked out while we're de-kinking something so we don't have to go through this all again.

I thik that the intention is bing missed here. Leyk is not talking about using any sort of innate mind powers, but seems to be asking if the *rp*, not the mechanics, could allow a spirit to spirit contact and story. More of a spirit walk with the person in question, guiding them back to the body. As such, it would be far more personal and would requir that the story be told OOC so the people in the room don't hear it. Is that more what you are looking for, Leyk?

Leyk of Clan Ahas said:
1. When performing the resurrection, does the storytelling need to be roleplayed?
Storytelling is not necessary, so your question is not quite accurate. If a player wishes "guiding" to encompass telling a story, they may do so in whatever way the two players find desirable, so long as the rules are followed.

Back