[.11] Riposting Strike

Resolute doesn’t save them from Doom, Mr. ARC sir. ;)

Resolute doesn’t save them from Doom, Mr. ARC sir. ;)

Exactly, that's the point I was making. If you compare the two, they're equally likely to have specific defenses that work against those attacks (Eviscerate vs Doom + Assassinate).

Oh, got it. I understand your context now.

I don't think this clarifies... With riposte, we can use 2 free skills? The assassinate and Doom blow would both be free if known?

I don't think this clarifies... With riposte, we can use 2 free skills? The assassinate and Doom blow would both be free if known?

I believe so.

Rogue PVP just got extremely real.

From the looks of the builds a few people have put together Scout is the master of Riposte. At just over 400+ XP a scout with access to parry, evade, and dodge can riposte about 12 times with 1 doom and 1 evis in their pocket to fuel the whole thing. Put that guy on the front line with someone stabbing him in the back he/she could call defences to bust out their dooms all day from the front. Using powerful defences to mass produce a high yield offense seems pretty legit to me. Thematically it seems off but functionality seems to be... well, functional.

I still feel that it’s super weird that people think having a buddy burn your defenses just to activate Riposte is somehow an advantage.

Do y’all fight entirely spellcasters or something?

So, I don't see that happening. Timing in a fight to do that would be extremely difficult. Plus as a fighter, I want my defense to help me survive the fight.

So, where yes I could have buddy by me helping me to blow my skills to produce eviscerates, but that leaves me extremely vulnerable. And great, I either killed 7 monsters, or burned 7 defences. But I am now wide open for an eviscerate coming my way. Yeah, no thanks.

At just over 400+ XP
I think your perspective is a bit off for this character level. The number of tricks and takeouts available on demand on everyone's card is pretty crazy at this point I would imagine.

That was created by a buddy of mine to emphasize what a streamlined build into just using riposte to its maximum could yield, also what it took to get it to that level.

True, but an interesting point was made in either this thread or the other Riposte thread. Unlike a Doom or Eviscerate, you can't fully Meditate back a missed Riposte. You can Meditate back the Riposte, but not the defensive used to power it. So, if you have 5 Parries and 5 Ripostes and you miss with three Ripostes, you won't have any Parries left to power the three you missed with, even if you Meditate them back. The same isn't true for using a skill strike normally. You can Meditate back the same Eviscerate 100 times in a day, if you miss the 100 times you try to use it.

That is a downside of Riposting Strike that most people seem to have overlooked and it is definitely non-trivial.

-MS

Sure, but at least for a rogue (or hobling fighter) you will have alot of extra defenses per riposte. So you can afford to miss a few. Or for super spice just have a weapon with raging blow. "100 doom strike!"

So, I don't see that happening. Timing in a fight to do that would be extremely difficult. Plus as a fighter, I want my defense to help me survive the fight.

So, where yes I could have buddy by me helping me to blow my skills to produce eviscerates, but that leaves me extremely vulnerable. And great, I either killed 7 monsters, or burned 7 defences. But I am now wide open for an eviscerate coming my way. Yeah, no thanks.

One of my mantras for game design, is you have to assume people can do a thing even if you think it is hard. You will face the person who can do it, then you will face the team of them. This reality should be designed for as if everyone can do a thing, or else you write the rule so no one can do a thing. That way when people excel at playing with the toys you designed you do not have to cry because you never thought someone would be that good.

Joe Siegel

Is there a time limit to respond with the "free" skill attack after you use the defense? Or is it essentially like a poison coating attack where the next swing, no matter when (within a 5 day limit per the new rules) will be that attack?

Is there a time limit to respond with the "free" skill attack after you use the defense? Or is it essentially like a poison coating attack where the next swing, no matter when (within a 5 day limit per the new rules) will be that attack?

I would assume it would act like the defense itself and have to be within 3 seconds of calling the defense

Note the key word "immediately" in the Riposting Strike description. Like other places we use the term "immediately" (like calling defenses), in practice this means "within 3 seconds".

If you used empowered strike for the riposte, does it save the empowered and spend the spell, save the empowered strike and save the spell, or does it simply not work with riposte because of intent?

Based on the description of Empowered Strike and Riposte;

1) Riposte would be expended to transform into Empowered Strike,

2) The Riposte Empowered Strike would consume a spell.

3) The true Empowered Strike would remain unused, allowing you to consume another spell to feed it.

That's how I read it, anyways. I don't think it's intended to give you free spells.

Back