Rule Books and Players Guides and stuff

roycifer said:
I'd... rather not see them on site/I-G in first place, for many reasons, and I guess that just means we'll probalby have to figure out an I-G (LCO, at least) protocol for that sort of thing.

Sigh.

Whatever protocol you use for the regular, printed rulebooks we have now should work.

I don't know about that ... as a Marshal I've wanted a pocket-sized rulebook for *ages*. I don't have the space to carry a full-sized rulebook around with me while I'm PCing or NPCing! If there's a text-only PDF I will quite happily either (a) use a small reader or my iPhone to read it, or (b) print it in very small font to hold in my pocket.

A pocket rulebook would be *amazingly* useful for calls on the field!

Agreed. I can see all the dog-earred mini handbooks in use already.

Fearless Leader said:
The current publisher I am using (not Lulu) has been very very good to me, though, helping me with cover design and stuff and contacting me whenever there is a problem. I'm kind of happy with their service. But maybe I should reconsider.
Sounds like the King of the Hill episode a few weeks back... ;)

Including a mini-cd with the rulebook would be a decent alternative, but honestly, I would prefer a text file for my own use, both as a marshal and as a player.

If I had to choose between text and full color PDF, I'd definitely go PDF, even if it meant a slightly more cumbersome method of payment and delivery.

Polare said:
I don't know about that ... as a Marshal I've wanted a pocket-sized rulebook for *ages*. I don't have the space to carry a full-sized rulebook around with me while I'm PCing or NPCing! If there's a text-only PDF I will quite happily either (a) use a small reader or my iPhone to read it, or (b) print it in very small font to hold in my pocket.

A pocket rulebook would be *amazingly* useful for calls on the field!

With a text only version it will be easy for someone to edit out all the stuff you don't need on the field (the advice sections and so forth) and make a little pocket version...

I don't want to sell a pocket version though because I am afraid people would buy just that and then ignore all the rest of the book, which has some pretty important stuff in it. Our game is more than just the practical rules -- there are also the roleplaying "rules" which are what really make the game.

Maybe have a pocket version made and prepared for giving to newly passed Marshals? That would be a great 'reward' for passing the test.

An official marhals only not-available-to-the-public book might be a good idea.

However, my priorities are thus:

1. Contact my publisher and find out if putting out a PDF on my own will violate any contract with him over a text only version;

2. Get the text only version of the Players Guide done;

3. Once the owners finish voting on the rules, get the Rule Book done;

4. Prepare the text only version of the Rule Book (and the PDF if I can do so contractually)

5. Decide whether to switch printers and go with Lulu or another printer;

6. Prepare the marshals book.

This is on top of

1. Finishing the sequel to "Arch Enemies" that my publisher keeps asking for;

2. Updating the race packets;

3. Writing the Tournament event;

4. Not neglecting any of my clients and thus have a malpractice suit filed against me.

If only I didn't have to sleep every night I could get a lot more done...

Fearless Leader said:
If only I didn't have to sleep every night I could get a lot more done...

My husband says that all the time too. ;) What are you going to do when you retire Mike? If we don't keep you insanely busy you'll drive Heidi crazy.

Fearless Leader said:

Having worked with Lulu and seen people work with Lulu for a couple years now, I find them to be one of the better companies to work with in so far as self-publishing goes -- however, one thing I HAVE noticed is how much of a pain in the *** things can be with getting things right with them (regarding covers, alignment, etc -- can take several run throughs to get it right from every experience I've seen).

They do, however, offer a pretty affordable ISBN package too if you're interested in expanding further into the public -- it also gives players the option of ordering their rule books through major book vendors rather than having to buy them at local chapters.

Just food for thought. :)

youthculture said:
Fearless Leader said:

Having worked with Lulu and seen people work with Lulu for a couple years now, I find them to be one of the better companies to work with in so far as self-publishing goes -- however, one thing I HAVE noticed is how much of a pain in the *** things can be with getting things right with them (regarding covers, alignment, etc -- can take several run throughs to get it right from every experience I've seen).

They do, however, offer a pretty affordable ISBN package too if you're interested in expanding further into the public -- it also gives players the option of ordering their rule books through major book vendors rather than having to buy them at local chapters.

Just food for thought. :)

That is something I was worried about -- the customer service at the place I have now is great. They have even recalled some books and redid them once when there was a problem.

As far as ISBN, I do have an account and all my books have been given ISBNs and are available to order at your local book store and on Amazon.com now... so I don't need that service.

Then yeah, I'd probably stick with what you have. It's more than likely not much different.

Having a good customer service lead can greatly outweigh some extra cost. I remember folks not being too thrilled with the 1st edition Alliance Rule Book due to the binding (we won't go there), but the latest rule book has been very sound and holds up much, much better. The fact that the printer went that extra mile that Mike described alone is impressive.

Back