Rule Books and Players Guides and stuff

I would think that copyright infringement would only kick in if you attempted to sell, or distribute the scanned copy, being as it is perfectly legal to put music you buy on your own computer, and use it that way, but illegal to distribute it afterwords.

Agahi said:
I would think that copyright infringement would only kick in if you attempted to sell, or distribute the scanned copy, being as it is perfectly legal to put music you buy on your own computer, and use it that way, but illegal to distribute it afterwords.

Would it violate any right-to-distribute agreements if you offered a free pdf version along with the real book? That way people who buy the book can automatically have it on their computer, too. How you would do this is another story, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Polare said:
Fearless Leader said:
A couple of announcements. Discussion welcome.

Cost Increase

Because of the increasing cost to print books, the Rule Book is being raised to $20. Sorry, I wish I didn't have to. I have tried always to keep the costs as low as possible.

This also applies to the Ashbury Player's Guide.

Ironically, my novel "Arch Enemies" is now being published as a regular title (instead of print on demand) and as such, the price has gone down to $19. Go figure. (Mind you, I don't set these prices, they are set by myu publisher.)

Holy moley! What publisher are you using?

If you look at, say, Lulu.com, a color cover, internal B&W paperback "perfect-bound" 8.5" x 11" (so same size and style as the current rulebook) costs you about $8 before any bulk discount. And that's if you're doing it for yourself ... if you're working with a separate publisher they should be using their buying power to make things *cheaper* for you, not far more expensive! Shipping is additional of course, but it's not $12 a book!

-Bryan

It all depends on how many you order...

When I first order a couple hundred, yes, the price is much cheaper.

But then when I run out and I just need 50 or 25 to hold me until the next book comes out (like now), the price rises to about $13 a book or more.

jpariury said:
Alavatar said:
I may just end up ordering two books if a PDF isn't available; rip one apart and scan it at work.
Copyright infringement.

Also, for checking out the prices at lulu.com: link

Good point about the copyright infringement. I didn't even think about that.

Well, looks like I won't be doing that. At least, not without Mike's Approval. :)

Keep in mind as well that the books are also sold to stores and Amazon.com, who will only pay a certain percentage of the cover price and no more. If I say "the book sells for $15" and they sell one, I get like $9. So if my books cost more than $9 to make and ship (like now, when I am ordering smaller quantities) then I lose money every time Amazon orders more from me.

I also sell books to the chapters at a discounted rate so they can make some money for the chapters off the books when they resell them to their players.

And come on, folks -- selling books is a way for the game to make some money without raising the costs of the events. No one is getting rich over this, you know. $20 for a book that size isn't outrageous.

And I will be making at least a text version available for downloading at a cheaper rate.

Fearless Leader said:
But then when I run out and I just need 50 or 25 to hold me until the next book comes out (like now), the price rises to about $13 a book or more.
I must be doing something wrong. When I use the calculator on lulu for 200 pages, B&W, 8 1/2x11, perfect bound, 10 copies, the price is 8.53 per copy. At 26 copies, you start getting discounts. For 50, it's 7.43 per. The actual rulebook is fewer than that, even, so it would be even less.

Don't get me wrong, more power to ya if you can get back a bit of profit, but it seems like this site has much better pricing than you're getting.

jpariury said:
Fearless Leader said:
I must be doing something wrong. When I use the calculator on lulu for 200 pages, B&W, 8 1/2x11, perfect bound, 10 copies, the price is 8.53 per copy. At 26 copies, you start getting discounts. For 50, it's 7.43 per. The actual rulebook is fewer than that, even, so it would be even less.

Don't get me wrong, more power to ya if you can get back a bit of profit, but it seems like this site has much better pricing than you're getting.

I'll check it out.

The current publisher I am using (not Lulu) has been very very good to me, though, helping me with cover design and stuff and contacting me whenever there is a problem. I'm kind of happy with their service. But maybe I should reconsider.

With so much discussion of e-books, I am getting confused. I am an old fuddy duddy. I want my book in a nice printed and bound format with pretty pictures on the cover and illustrations on the inside. Will that still exist?

-MS

mikestrauss said:
With so much discussion of e-books, I am getting confused. I am an old fuddy duddy. I want my book in a nice printed and bound format with pretty pictures on the cover and illustrations on the inside. Will that still exist?

-MS

Absolutely!!!! The e-book is an alternative book, with text only (most likely).

Fearless Leader said:
My publisher makes his e-books available to any distributor who wants to carry them, which means dozens (if not hundreds) of on-line e-book stores. He says that they won't carry books that big; they are used to carrying novels and print books... (...)

I sent him our new Players Guide and he said it was just too big. He also said that if it was available in all e-book formats, it would sell better (as opposed to only PDF).

No offense, but your target audience is pretty limited. You're not selling books to 'the public,' you're selling at most a few thousand to the playerbases of the various chapters. Sure, maybe you get a few random orders from non-players, but I doubt it makes any significant difference on sales or game attendance. Some E-Bookstores not carrying the book isn't going to make a significant dent in who buys them. If players want color PDFs, you can put a link on the website to the one place that does carry them, and we'll buy them from that place. If it were in a thousand e-bookstores, we'd still probably buy it from the one place you link to.

The people who would buy and use the e-book are going to be the same people who know their technology reasonably well, and not be daunted by a 'large' file.

Ok dont laugh but how about raising the cost of the books a little and giving out a coupon in the book
Say Raise the Price $10 and Give a $20 off your an event coupon
that way all us players get a new rulebook and $10 off ($20 off event -$10 extra cost)
it might get people to come to an event (need tu use that coupon) and it actualy makes the book cheeper for us already planing to go to events :)

jsut my two Coppers

FW

Agahi said:

When was the last time you read the Millennium Copyright Act. If you had, you would realize that the government's response to the Giant Media Copy Lobby is to try and eliminate the Fair Use Doctrine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have purchased several computer trade books that allow the download of a PDF galley version of the book after purchase at no additional cost.

And if you do that, please allow us to gain access to a color PDF version so I can tote it around on a USB key or in my Palm, converted to Acrobat for Palm format. You might even consider binding in a CD with the Acrobat file on it.

I do have to say I would like a color pdf allot better... Although I already said that. But its worth noting that a text version might be nice for the sake of pdA's so that rules could be looked up really quick on the field...

Thats brings up an interesting question... if I had a pda with the rulebook on it could that qualify as having a rulebook for casting a rituall. =P

Ondreij said:
I hope not. Such an anacronism is so far beyond acceptable in game --- in my humble opinion.

A rulebook is technically an anachronism then. It's OOG for rules purposes so the format really shouldn't matter, though I certainly wouldn't want to subject my high-priced electronics to the weather usually present at events.

Telokh_Amdo said:
Ondreij said:
I hope not. Such an anacronism is so far beyond acceptable in game --- in my humble opinion.

A rulebook is technically an anachronism then. It's OOG for rules purposes so the format really shouldn't matter, though I certainly wouldn't want to subject my high-priced electronics to the weather usually present at events.

Not to mention the inevitability of falling on them while either taking or dodging devistating damage and/or NPC flung effects! You never seem to land wrong when there's nothing in your pockets...

Back