Selling things IG that were made OOG.

Larien

Ok, so this is a weird question:

IG, my character Larien has a squirrel (Pistachia) who likes to collect shiny things.
OOG, I make simple beaded jewelry and also crochet small "bags of holding" (Megan/Winter Rose knows what I'm talking about, I'm making one for her).

Here is my question:

At the low level event this weekend (or any other events), would there be an objection to Larien sitting in the tavern every now and then (before/after logisitics) with Pistachia and selling these trinkets? They hold no magical value obviously. It's just a little way to make IG money, give me some RP practice, and find a use for all of my crafty stuff I have at home.

Thoughts?

it is done all the time. it is a great way to earn IG money. people bake cookies and sell them for a few copper or a silver. I am currently creating leather scroll cases to sell for IG money.

In Ohio we have one member who brings an entire renn-faire merchant setup to some events and acts as a Merchant. Many Ohio players have bought a Merchant License for something or other- we've had candy sellers, story tellers, bakers, an apothecary, etc... PC merchants are fantastic for IG atmosphere and Role Play. :)

I sold someone a sheep that way (CO: selective sheep breeding)

If you can sell it IG, more power to you.

The funny thing is how the economy seems to work IG. It costs 20 coppers to make a sword, according to the Production Point chart, yet people charge 5 or 6 for a brownie. Go figure.

I sell alcohol IG. OOG, I buy bottles, some non-alcoholic drinks (gatorade, sobe, etc.) and bottle them as well as actually mix drinks (Portland Punch and home-made Apple-Cinnamon cider). Surprisingly, they all sell for between 1-4 gold per bottle (between 750mL and 1000mL).

If you can find a market and a product that will sell then go for it. :D

Edit: Just in case people may think I charge too much, I did a taste test with people paying me what they thought fair. I set my prices based on that. The prices were set by my customers, essentially. :)

Fearless Leader said:

The funny thing is how the economy seems to work IG. It costs 20 coppers to make a sword, according to the Production Point chart, yet people charge 5 or 6 for a brownie. Go figure.

Yeah, but those brownies from National were TOTALLY worth it...Now if that barkeep *wink* could have sold me a nice cold glass of milk, I would have been set! :p

Fearless Leader said:

It's all about quality of the merchandise and availability. :)

Not too bad, really, when you consider 5 copper for a cup of ramen.

The only thing I might throw in there for people selling OOG made items for IG coin, please make sure your customers realize the items they are buying do not have an established IG value, like gems or plot treasure with number tags on them have. Otherwise there may be some confusion especially for newer players who may believe they are making an investment with guaranteed return on their purchase IG. Otherwise I think it's awesome, I know I spent about 20 gold over the lifetime of my character in Seattle on Alavatar's various wines. That cider he does is addictive!

Thank you so much for all of your help. Yeah, I don't know about a real "need" for any of my silliness. Something about a little sign on a table with "Pistachia's Prettys" scribbled on it makes me giggle.

The jewelry is for anybody who wants a costume piece or for OOG. IG, Pistachia "finds" these things, and she's going to be the one who will "run" that, I'm just a translator. I don't know if anyone is fluent in squirrel.

The bags, from a pratical standpoint, are because I noticed a lot of PCs carry their money, magic items, etc. in thin, shear bags (or the velvet ones) that I know for a fact come open easily. The pouches I make are made of yarn and they are much more sturdy than that (I've used my one little pouch for about ten years, OOG, every day) Which is where the investment would be, regardless of whether you use it in game or not, because it can be both. Each is obviously handmade, and they are custom pieces that I make for each person (I'll have my own for "display").

Lol... not only am I asking if this is legal, I guess I'm also asking if there is a need! Any takers?

Heh! My comment should have said 5 or 6 SILVER for a brownie.

At the last national event, I tried to keep the money realistic; we changed 4 copper for a brownie, because breakfast was only 1 silver.

But, as shown here, people can sell baked goods for a gold. Damn inflation!

Larien said:
Thank you so much for all of your help. Yeah, I don't know about a real "need" for any of my silliness. Something about a little sign on a table with "Pistachia's Prettys" scribbled on it makes me giggle.

The jewelry is for anybody who wants a costume piece or for OOG. IG, Pistachia "finds" these things, and she's going to be the one who will "run" that, I'm just a translator. I don't know if anyone is fluent in squirrel.

The bags, from a pratical standpoint, are because I noticed a lot of PCs carry their money, magic items, etc. in thin, shear bags (or the velvet ones) that I know for a fact come open easily. The pouches I make are made of yarn and they are much more sturdy than that (I've used my one little pouch for about ten years, OOG, every day) Which is where the investment would be, regardless of whether you use it in game or not, because it can be both. Each is obviously handmade, and they are custom pieces that I make for each person (I'll have my own for "display").

Lol... not only am I asking if this is legal, I guess I'm also asking if there is a need! Any takers?

If you want the items to have a real IG value, contact your Plot Committee and pay them for it and have them put a game number on them!

For instance, for a nice ring, you may say "this is worth at least 1 silver" so you pay them a silver for it, and then you can sell it for a profit in-game and the buyer knows that it has real IG value that can be resold...

If you don't want to do that, then it's worth whatever people will pay you for it, and then they have it but IG it has no value.

Fearless Leader said:

Only if it's a fudge brownie and you are selling it to a desparate Biata!

My biata would probably beg for fudge or dark chocolate.

Mmmm....

Sweet chocolately bribery.

JIM

Keep in mind that at low level events prices will need to be dropped. Take it from a squad of baking pandas (mainly renee) prices would need to be adjusted for current event market values.

Justin H-

Fearless Leader said:

People love the concept of fake money for real food....

Also every one is happy with brownies. You shatter my sword, so what, you shatter my tray of brownies, PTD.

Fearless Leader said:

At the last national event, I tried to keep the money realistic; we changed 4 copper for a brownie, because breakfast was only 1 silver.

By the way I wanted to say it was really really cool that food prices were realistic at the national event. I wish things might be like that at more chapters. A few copper for drinks, and maybe as much as a silver for some actual food or something. This also means that the newer players don't break the bank just paying for drinks so to speak.

Dreamingfurther said:
Fearless Leader said:

By the way I wanted to say it was really really cool that food prices were realistic at the national event. I wish things might be like that at more chapters. A few copper for drinks, and maybe as much as a silver for some actual food or something. This also means that the newer players don't break the bank just paying for drinks so to speak.

Thanks. When I agreed to do the weekend as tavern guy, I specifically dropped the prices to be more realistic. I think it also allowed people to buy more, which adds to the tavern atmosphere. I am hopeful that Ashbury will change its prices accordingly...

Of course, once I did that I realized that, based on the national event, it didn't make sense! Water was supposed to be valuable and precious, and here I was charging a copper for a glass! :lol:

Dreamingfurther said:

Eh, it'll depend on what the chapter's economy looks like. If you've got a chapter that has seemingly passed beyond the need to trade in normal items, and runs the economy on gold, components, and formal scrolls, then your prices are going to be high. Not that I know any current chapters like that, but it is an example.

Wraith said:
Dreamingfurther said:

Eh, it'll depend on what the chapter's economy looks like. If you've got a chapter that has seemingly passed beyond the need to trade in normal items, and runs the economy on gold, components, and formal scrolls, then your prices are going to be high. Not that I know any current chapters like that, but it is an example.

My issue with this is that it bones any new player. They have 12 copper to start with (taken directly from the rulebook.) If they have to pay 1 silver for a drink and 4 or 5 for food, that could very well be all they even earn that day from adventuring, because they are low level and they might only get to kill 1 or 2 things. Or they aren't fully on top of looting everything in site yet exe exe. The other thing is that regardless of how rich the "adventures" are getting does this mean that everyone in the "world" will have gold, components, and ritual scrolls just lying around everywhere? Remember that in reality the tavern wouldn't just be open when adventures are there and common folks would hardly have that kind of money. However the point about newer players is the one I am the most serious about.

Fearless Leader said:
Dreamingfurther said:
Fearless Leader said:

Thanks. When I agreed to do the weekend as tavern guy, I specifically dropped the prices to be more realistic. I think it also allowed people to buy more, which adds to the tavern atmosphere. I am hopeful that Ashbury will change its prices accordingly...

Of course, once I did that I realized that, based on the national event, it didn't make sense! Water was supposed to be valuable and precious, and here I was charging a copper for a glass! :lol:

Well, regardless of the precise logic of the situation it was a nice change. :) And I hope more places consider doing the same.

Dreamingfurther said:
My issue with this is that it bones any new player. They have 12 copper to start with (taken directly from the rulebook.) If they have to pay 1 silver for a drink and 4 or 5 for food, that could very well be all they even earn that day from adventuring, because they are low level and they might only get to kill 1 or 2 things. Or they aren't fully on top of looting everything in site yet exe exe. The other thing is that regardless of how rich the "adventures" are getting does this mean that everyone in the "world" will have gold, components, and ritual scrolls just lying around everywhere? Remember that in reality the tavern wouldn't just be open when adventures are there and common folks would hardly have that kind of money. However the point about newer players is the one I am the most serious about.

I agree wholeheartedly, as regards the tavern. In fact, most of them I've seen are run in real-world money tabs, precisely so that even the poorest adventurer can still get food easily. My comment was more directed towards other OOG made stuff being sold IG.

Back