Sept Tourney

Gilwing

Administrator
Alliance Logistics
Alliance Owner
Is the Archery event going to be packets like the individual tournament was or is it like the team tourney was with real bows?

Gilwing said:
Is the Archery event going to be packets like the individual tournament was or is it like the team tourney was with real bows?

I like real bows, and I believe that's what we're going to do.

If anyone wanted to donate more arrows and bows and targets so we could do, say, three at a time that would be great.

Honestly, I was leaning towards packet archery.

There are two important factors:

1) Props. Real archery requires some very expensive props, especially if we want to run two shooters at the same time to increase time efficiency.

2) IG vs. OOG. Archery is an in-game skill with explicit rules. If the tournament is supposed to showcase skill in archery, it isn't really fair to players that the tournament tests a skill that has nothing to do with the actual in-game skill.

I'll talk it over with Mike V. (for sure) and a few others at this weekend, but I was leaning towards a multi-target, "obstacle course-like" idea that was discussed previously on these boards that uses packet archery. Since I will be at the weekend, I am happy to talk to anyone with an opinion and my PM box is always open.

-MS

mikestrauss said:
Honestly, I was leaning towards packet archery.

There are two important factors:

1) Props. Real archery requires some very expensive props, especially if we want to run two shooters at the same time to increase time efficiency.

2) IG vs. OOG. Archery is an in-game skill with explicit rules. If the tournament is supposed to showcase skill in archery, it isn't really fair to players that the tournament tests a skill that has nothing to do with the actual in-game skill.

I'll talk it over with Mike V. (for sure) and a few others at this weekend, but I was leaning towards a multi-target, "obstacle course-like" idea that was discussed previously on these boards that uses packet archery. Since I will be at the weekend, I am happy to talk to anyone with an opinion and my PM box is always open.

-MS

I like the packet archery option. The game is supposed to have the slogan "Be all you can't be" and some people with IG archery can't shoot a real bow to save their life. Kind of kills the fun.

This might sound like a crazy idea... but what about having both archery options for the fun of it? I don't have the archery skill IG, but I shot in archery competitions OOG for years, so it kind of gives me fluttery tummy to think real bows might be around for the tourney.

Larien said:
This might sound like a crazy idea... but what about having both archery options for the fun of it? I don't have the archery skill IG, but I shot in archery competitions OOG for years, so it kind of gives me fluttery tummy to think real bows might be around for the tourney.

I think this is a great idea.
Everyone just remember that your pc need the actual archery skill to take part in this part of the tourny event if they use real bows.

That's completely fine. I WATCHED a lot of archery tournaments, too! I think it would just be fun to see.

Thats a good idea then people can decide if they want to do real archery or packets

I'm not a fan of doing both. The tourney already has the potential to take too long as it is. And though real archery might look good, it doesn't make much sense to me because you have to buy more props, and it has nothing to do with the IG skill. If this is really a tourney for the characters and not the players, then it should be packet archery.

Robb Graves said:
I'm not a fan of doing both. The tourney already has the potential to take too long as it is. And though real archery might look good, it doesn't make much sense to me because you have to buy more props, and it has nothing to do with the IG skill. If this is really a tourney for the characters and not the players, then it should be packet archery.

Same reason we are allowing Latex weapons. They look nicer. A real bow and arrow looks nicer.

Archery does take some IG skill into account, people with the archery skill start closer. Packet archery still depends on OOG skill highly, as if you can't throw well, you are going to lose.

We should only allow boffer guitars at entertainment, because I can't play a real guitar and my craftsman "Mad Axe Soloist x10" should count instead of my actual playing. Even more pertinent, should someone with "craftsman historian x10" get free answers in trivia?

It's a fun tourney that takes a ton of OOG skills into account. The whole game system does actually.

Scott

Duke Frost said:
Packet archery still depends on OOG skill highly, as if you can't throw well, you are going to lose.

which is consistent with how normal archery works IG.

I can't get behind the guitar comparison because a skill like that is different than a combat skill IMO.

Watching packet archery is boring, I'd rather be entertained with the real thing.

I suggested Blind Archery. It wasnt well recieved.
--bill

Its a firm no on real alcohol right? Cause my oog tolerance isn't as good as grims but im willing to try....beer and hot dogs hmm.... "Grims steaming weinie hut! " coming soon! Mebe

Robb Graves said:
Duke Frost said:
Packet archery still depends on OOG skill highly, as if you can't throw well, you are going to lose.

which is consistent with how normal archery works IG.

I can't get behind the guitar comparison because a skill like that is different than a combat skill IMO.

Ig consistent? Make sure that when we use real bows that they must have the archery skill too. That makes it IG consistent.

A few years ago we changed the rules so that yes, you do have to have the Archery skill in order to participate.

I am 99% sure we will be using real archery as usual for the Tournament. Decisions about changing the Tournament should not be made three weeks before the event.

Back