Sheath for a bow?

No, that's so you have to use your belt to do that. If you wanna strangle someone, you gotta risk your pants falling down in the process. Fair is fair after all.

Although, don't think for a second that that interpretation will stop us.
I know for a fact that both Jeff and I have dropped trou in combat.
~Matt, WCV

I'm personally against straps on bows. The rules state that no string may be a attached to the bow, and the type of shoulder straps you typically see on bows are basically the same as stringing the rep. On the other hand I can't really thing of a better way of carrying a long bow, except perhaps in the hand.

So there you are, it might be worth clarifying whether "bows are not strung" versus "bows cannot be strung". I see the loose string/rope/leather/what-have-you as a safety issue. The loose cord could easily wrap and entrap a weapon or worse a wrist, ankle, or neck.

obcidian_bandit said:
Although, don't think for a second that that interpretation will stop us.
I know for a fact that both Jeff and I have dropped trou in combat.
~Matt, WCV

But not together. And usually I just went into combat sans trou.

Lost_Nation said:
I'm personally against straps on bows. The rules state that no string may be a attached to the bow, and the type of shoulder straps you typically see on bows are basically the same as stringing the rep. On the other hand I can't really thing of a better way of carrying a long bow, except perhaps in the hand.

So there you are, it might be worth clarifying whether "bows are not strung" versus "bows cannot be strung". I see the loose string/rope/leather/what-have-you as a safety issue. The loose cord could easily wrap and entrap a weapon or worse a wrist, ankle, or neck.

I think it might be worth considering that a wide 2' strap is significantly different than a "string" that would look like its supposed to fire arrows. A strap isn't tight, and it isn't small (like a string) so that its not going to twist easily around anything. I also think it should be considered where the strap attaches to the bow and being 9" down each wing it does put the strap really well "within" the bow "inside" so to speak.

Incidentally is the "no strap allowed" question something that could be posed to arc for further clarification? Or would that only be up the individual chapters?

It could definitely be posed to the ARC.

And whiel a strap is different than a string, it does still have the possibility of catching a stray limb or head and injuring someone...

But it is a fantastically remote possiblity.

I think the main issue witht he strap is that most people I see blocking with a bow invert it as a better blocking surface. I.E. the ends pointing away from the wielder thus putting the strap directly in the line of weapon strikes.

Of course most of this could be avoided by saying now blocking with a bow since its stupid but thats another discussion.

For short bows a snaped loop at the belt can fasten around the grip and hold it pretty well for a long bow something similar could work though likely would need aditional loops to hold it in place.

Another option is similar to what I actually do for sword sheaths. Useing a poster tube around 4 inches in diameter cut to your length of choice you use a length of tights (like what most of us out west use as cloth covers) to line the insideyou only fasten it at the edges and the tights will draw in at the center of the tube and allow for enough friction to hold most reps in place. this could work for a long bow if mounted to a baldric on the back and is fiarly quick to draw/putaway though slower to put away on the back.

What would you say to a setup like this if the bow was actually kept facing the way it looks like it should face with the strap towards the inside? I'm really surprised people would turn their bows around, that just looks and sounds so silly to me.

The problem is you can really solve a safety concern with, "I promise I won't do it that way."

But again, I'd still probably pass it.

tieran said:
The problem is you can really solve a safety concern with, "I promise I won't do it that way."

But again, I'd still probably pass it.

You guys rock :)

The "I won't do it that way" is all fine and good till your disarmed and some inexperianced NPC picks up the weapon. We had the same issue with flat blade designs we were testing. Sfae in the hands of a good player that wouldn't hit witht he flat ever unsafe if disarmed and picked up by a less skilled player.

That said I'd probably pass it but the difficulty is that some chapters/marshalls may be less forgiving.

and yea it does look dumb but it provides a better blocking surface as it steers the blow down into bow rather than shedign the blow off to the side possible allowing for a valid hit. Kinda dumb but effective so people do it.

I guess similar to using a scimitar shaped weapon backwards. Still, I switch between shooting and swinging so much I can't justify turning it around, but we'll see what arc says.

tieran said:

And whiel a strap is different than a string, it does still have the possibility of catching a stray limb or head and injuring someone...

For that to happen, the person getting caught in the strap would have to be charging. And charging isn't allowed by the rules. :) Problem solved.

~Joe

Right... that solves everything Joe...

Good Job!

;-)

Morai said:
tieran said:

For that to happen, the person getting caught in the strap would have to be charging. And charging isn't allowed by the rules. :) Problem solved.

~Joe

Not necessarily.

Take, for example, 2 people fighting side-by-side. They are not fighting each other. The person using the bow moves the bow to block an attack at the same time the person fighting next to them steps in that direction.

You do not have to be charging to get accidentally caught up in such a strap.

I have personally witnessed someone getting caught up in an M16 weapon sling during a training exercise. The sling is of similar width and slack as the strap currently being discussed. None of the individuals inivolved did anything wrong, however the soldier in question spent 2 days inthe hospital with difficulty breating from a swollen airway. Freak accident, but it does happen and that should very much be taken into consideration.

jnelson said:
Morai said:
tieran said:

~Joe

Not necessarily.

Take, for example, 2 people fighting side-by-side. They are not fighting each other. The person using the bow moves the bow to block an attack at the same time the person fighting next to them steps in that direction.

You do not have to be charging to get accidentally caught up in such a strap.

I have personally witnessed someone getting caught up in an M16 weapon sling during a training exercise. The sling is of similar width and slack as the strap currently being discussed. None of the individuals inivolved did anything wrong, however the soldier in question spent 2 days inthe hospital with difficulty breating from a swollen airway. Freak accident, but it does happen and that should very much be taken into consideration.

I would also like the consider taking into account that hopefully we will not be in situations that soldiers in combat training are... All respect to the soldiers in question of course.

Just saying that there comes a point when the chance of something going bad is so remote it seems reasonable to allow differences. Maybe? I mean there are plenty of ways you could Imagen totally "safe" things totally within the specified rules going wrong and in a freak accident hurting someone... but that doesn't mean we therefore refuse to use those things. Just trying to make logical points here is all.

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Tu ... -2360.html

You could construct a bow scabbard that hangs on your belts. As far as I know this sort of thing would be more appropriate on the saddle of your step pony, but until I prefect the method for adhering a legal thrusting tip to a horseshoe this is an option.

FrankManic said:
http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Turkish_Tartar_Bow_Scabbard_BTS-2360.html

You could construct a bow scabbard that hangs on your belts. As far as I know this sort of thing would be more appropriate on the saddle of your step pony, but until I prefect the method for adhering a legal thrusting tip to a horseshoe this is an option.

I'm not actually sure if that would work. Because part of the problem is that scabbard relies on the string to keep the bow strait up and down. The issue with Alliance longbows is that you have the long strangely curved piece of foam over a core that you can't really balance very well.

Incidentally by putting 3/4' strips of velcro around the longbow at the 3 connection points, and other strips of Velcro on the strap that wrap around the bow I've build an identical strap that you can take off the bow in about 5 seconds or so to fight, and put back on later to strap onto your back. If anyone is interested in seeing picture of this I can post them.

Joy, I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with this because it creates an "easy off" strap that you could easily remove from the bow before combat. For what its worth you could even consider the bow "with a strap" on it to be not a legal weapon, and therefore require anyone hit with it before the strap is off to take that damage.

Back