Sheath for a bow?

This is the method I used with my max size bow (I've gone to a crossbow, not being a front line fighter):

As most bows are recurved, you can take a length of stout string (thin clothes line) and tie it into a loop. Place the bow through the loop so that the looped ends do not pass over the recurved ends. Sling the bow over one arm and your head so that the bow is behind you and the string is across your chest. Now, when you un-sling it, the bow comes free of the string. With practice you can handle this as fast as if the loop where attached to the bow. And, in a pinch the string makes a fine Circle of Power phys rep.

I use something very similar to our big WME friend up there, though my max length bow isn't recurved. Works great none the less.

While obviously any individual chapter can or cannot allow a strap on a bow based on their preference I think this makes it clear that the rulebook comment on a bow "string" isn't aimed at preventing straps. :)

Polare said:
Q. In the rulebook it states that no bow should have a "string". Ostensibly this
is to prevent weapon trapping and entangling. Basically I would like to ask if
this is a prohibition from a bow having any sort of strand type of attachment.
The question is, would the spirit of the rule want to prohibit some sort of
strap (in addition to "strings"), which is both wide and lose and not attached
to the very ends of the bow, from being placed on especially a max length
longbow to strap it over ones back.

I have posted an example picture of what I am wondering if the arc would
encourage chapters to allow or disallow. Obviously the final call is always up
to any chapter to allow a specific weapon, but I am just asking if the arc would
possibly clarify or encourage one way or the other on this issue.

A. Weapon construction guidelines are on a chapter by chapter basis. There is no
specific intent to disallow - *or allow* - a weapon strap as described.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC Member

Dreamingfurther said:
While obviously any individual chapter can or cannot allow a strap on a bow based on their preference I think this makes it clear that the rulebook comment on a bow "string" isn't aimed at preventing straps. :)

Is that a question? Or are you making a rules judgment?

Edited to admit stupidity.

The arc ruling on it is quoted below that statement in his post.

As a side note for anyone who is interested I have just developed (finally) a viable "clip" system for arrows. Literally 30 to 40 arrows easy, on hand, pre-loaded, and don't tangle when trying to be drawn. If anyone is interested feel free to pm me or tell me to not be lazy and post it. I'll be fully testing it the coming weekend so I can say more then... :)

Kewl, try and get some pics of it in action at the event so we can see what you're doing with it.

Dreamingfurther said:
As a side note for anyone who is interested I have just developed (finally) a viable "clip" system for arrows. Literally 30 to 40 arrows easy, on hand, pre-loaded, and don't tangle when trying to be drawn. If anyone is interested feel free to pm me or tell me to not be lazy and post it. I'll be fully testing it the coming weekend so I can say more then... :)

Stop being lazy and post it.

Okay, the first part is that I have re-designed my strap with strips of Velcro on the bow. Thus it can be easily taken off if particular weapon marshals are not comfortable with it in combat. That aside, like I've said before I've used this strap in a significant amount of combat in close contact with many other players and never had any issues.

As you can also see in these pictures there is a section of the bow that I have glued and taped two strips of soft velcro to side by side to hold the clips. Since this is like cloth I assume there shouldn't be a problem having this on the bow. Then I built arrow "clips" that have the Velcro hooks attached and each hold 5 arrows.

Lastly I have been using a packet bandoleer of sorts for a while now that holds 20 packets and sits from my right hip up to just over my left shoulder. Onto the bottom of this I put strips of the soft Velcro to attach the clips to within easy grabbing distance. The pouch in front of it has a twofold purpose. One, you can throw your empty clips into it when you rip them off to grab a new one, and two it is the right size to count as a "quiver" for the purpose of being with the rules for having arrows on you. Add a second one and you can have up to 8 of these clips, 40 arrows and be able to spam a crap ton of damage...

It takes a fair amount of time to make the clips, but they are re-usable. I have 10 arrows in the bottom of the bandoleer in this picture just because. And the strings are sort of annoying, but not un-manageable. The material I used to make the bandoleer and clips is pretty soft vynl. But if you use it be sure to sear the edges so they don't tear.

Thoughts? Comments?

That's alot like the potion holders and packet holders i made for my shield.

Though I did not do the Velcro to allow for quick-changing to a full one. That's a pretty neat Idea.

I like it because you don't end up with a tangled mass of packets in the bottom of your quiver at a crucial moment.

Pretty damn cool!

Dave, that looks pretty badass for sure, well done. However, my only criticism comes from the IG perspective of my character looking at your character and seeing long *** arrows pointing up all over your chest and being concerned that you would end up a pin cusion when you fell if your elf like agility checks fail lol.

Lol yea, I have to admit that using such "clips" for arrows, not just spell packets does look a little bit funny IG. Just because it means having arrows strapped to the bow and down the right side of the leg... But if it works I'm not going to complain. And honestly, wearing a crap ton of weapons and arrows can add a certain, what shall we say, distinctive "look" to the character. ;)

Back