So Tell Me

Gwendara

Fighter
To those who may know the details, I have a question concerning the protocols of Honor Combat. I have only seen a few in my time, and believe I understand the basic rules though I would appreciate clarification if I am wrong.

1. The challenger sets the conditions: weapons, skills to be used, to first blood, death or resurrection.
2. Once the fight is done, the grievance between the two combatants is over and forgotten.

One thing I am unclear on is, what happens if a challenge is not accepted? What happens then? Does the challenged lose all honor? If anyone could clarify repercussions of Honor Combat to me, it would be appreciated.

Honor and Duty,

-Gwendara Alanik
Seneschal of the Stormblades

I've actually seen it done both ways.

Sometimes the challenger sets the terms of the combat, sometimes the challenged. It depends upon the individuals involved.

My personal preference is that the challenged should set both the terms of the combat (as well as whether or not to utilize a champion), as the challenger should bear in mind the abilities of the person they are challenging, as well as the depth of their dislike.

The second assertion that you made is supposed to be the way it all plays out, though it tends to only happen rarely.

The non-acceptance of a challenge is really the one of the issues with an honor combat. If the person being challenged does not consider their honor worth a cracked copper piece to begin with, or considers the individual beneath them in some fashion, then the question of honor is, to them at least, a moot one.

But personally I find the practice silly. My people have a different method for determining such things among ourselves.

-Tieran

Just curious my good friend....

By "my people", do yo mean Smartarses, Morians, Highlanders, Drunkards, Biata, or Smartarsed Morian Highland Biata Drunkards?

Squire Ulthoc of Nordenn

I'll let you figure it out.

By the by, do you have any intention of dragging your sorry nearly-ennobled behind (and preferrably the rest of you as well) out to Vandlar anytime soon?

I know you have a score to settle.

Some prep work might be fun.

-Tieran

Perhaps, but I'll not broadcast it so loudly- some scores are best settled quietly.

If you have any information about it, let me know so I can prepare.

By the way, my old friend, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know I'm writing this *after* having to get back to sleep. Gwen just elbowed me right well for interfering with her question with our little conversation. Chuckle to yourself in your sleep, old man, while I try to nurse this bruised rib she refuses to heal.

Squire ULthoc of Nordenn

Now that my original intent has been sidetracked, I expected no less from you two, I have to comment on this last part. Ulthoc, please don't tell me you're considering going back out to that forsaken land. Because you know very well that if you go, I'll have to go as well. Though...vengeance could be a bit sweeter then.

-Gwendara Alanik

Good Gwen, if he doesn't come on his own, I'll expect to find him trailing at your heels.

Llyweilun, if you insist on calling me an old man, I'll probably fall into senility, call you by your birth name, and then you can cry like a big overgrown baby and challenge me to Honor Combat.

Oh wait, nevermind. My eyes must be going along with my mind, that wasn't you, that was the other furry, smelly guy.

Safe travels to both of you.

-Tieran

I have found that Honor Combat only has merrit if theose participating have similar veiws of what honor is. If two people have similar values, and a strong sence of honor, than the issue can be put to rest with ritual combat, as decided by the combatants. I have seen this done to the further understanding and contentment of both parties.

I have also seen this fail miserbly, as one person may not "give a cracked copper" as it was put, or worse, the looser takes the loss harder than the original issue and lets it eat away at them.

Thats the thing about honor. Its a personal thing, something you know that you have, or don't, and its something that no one can ever truly take from you. You canonly ever gain it and loose it by your own deeds and words. Sometimes its easyer to let your deeds, and your sword arm show your honor for you. Sometimes it would just be a waste of time.

I personaly belive in honor combat. I belive in a test of deeds to right a wrong. But those belifs only extend so far as a fair method can be determined. I would hardly expect a first year swordsman to stand succesfuly against Squire Uthoc or yourself regardless of who right they might be. Too much of a skill gap.

Then again, maybe being willing to stand by their honor against you anyway honor enough.

Till the moon is no more,
Amaranthus Landcharmer

Amaranthus,

I assure you this is no first year swordsman I would be fighting. Have no worries on that account.

Honor and Duty,
-Gwendara Alanik

Amaranthus-

Do you feel that an assault upon grammar is substantial enough reason to declare Honor Combat?

-Tieran

Tieran,

Back to the pit from whence you came. Leave Amaranthus alone.

Riddick

I'm sorry, but you'll find my dreams at late hours to be full of such errors. I dream like I would speek, and I am very tiered these days.
Obviusly you do not face a newcomer, I was mearly elaborating on the topic as it was presented and sharing my veiw. You have always struck me as a honorable woman, a feirce fighter, and a dedicated member of the adventuring comunity. Add to that the fact that Squire Ulthoc is quite taken with you, and thats all the merit you would need in my eyes. The squire is one I would stand against all odds alongside, with not but a dagger and my wit, if I had to. I have no doubt that day might just come.
And no, my grammar, as terrible as it may be at these hours, should not cause you such an offence.
Till the moon is no more,
Amaranthus Landcharmer

It also depends upon the customs of those involved.

Recently, a conversation had come up in Moria regarding Gorban Honor combat. Our terms between one another and those not of our race at times can be slightly confusing. From the times I have seen it happen with others in the adventuring community, the usual moment is as follows:

The Challenger challenges the Other.
The Other then meets the Challenger on his own terms (claws, weaponry, gases, etc.) - a note, unless specifically negated, usually an honor combat with a gorbe denotes allowing use of all skills: magic, alchemy and weaponry skills. It is usually only when something is -very- personal that a gorbe will use claws only.
On regular custom, once the duel ends, the terms of it conclude the winner, the winner will at times say his peace, and things are forgotten. Sometimes gorbe will keep their battle wounds either as a memory, or more importantly, as a personal vendetta, once again if the battle itself was over something very personal. Should the personal vendetta happen, then the battle is -very much- not over.

The terms of honor in gorban lands? If you deny the challenge, you are one of two things; a coward, or feel that the other is so beneath you that the fight would be unfair. Even so, it is your place to put those that wish to challenge you back where they belong, or admit to yourself that you are no better than a belly crawler on the end of a hook.

Again, this is what I have seen of the combat; along with what I know are our customs.

Zehnyu Shanshi
Captain to the Obsidian Wraith
Privateer to Arandin.

Riddick-

I don't come from a pit, other than that, good opener.

I also notice that you kept your missive short so as to give me less of your usual stupid to have to muddle through. Thanks!

But we both know the real reason for it was so that it gave you less of an opportunity to screw up.

And as much as your jump to the defense of Amaranthus was adorable, I think he can probably handle himself, but there is only one way to find out.

He is multi-leveled. According to him, he is very multi-leveled.

I'm not sure how that factors in to anything, but I'm sure its important.

Plus he seems to hold Ulthoc in such high esteem. He's either brilliant, or the exact opposite. I have to determine the caliber of people who assosciate with my friend, its part of my job.

Plus Ulthoc keeps telling me I've met this guy before...

-Tieran

Biata, long curly red hair, red and green feathers. Steel and brass scalemaile armor, tho if you met me long enough ago I would have been wearing a dull, aged suit of chain. I frequent the lands of Icenia, Caldaria, and the Deadlands of Larethon, Icenia the most often. I do beleive we have met, but I don't think we had that many interactions that gather.
If you are truly concerned about who Uthoc keeps as company I sugest you seek me out. You'll find I'm much easyer to talk to than my poor spelling would sugest.
Till the Full Moon is no more,
Amaranthus Landcharmer

I know what you look like.

That has no bearing on who you are.

Neither does where you've travelled.

Plus I'm sparring with Riddick right now.

I'll deal with you later.

You're dulling my edge.

-Tieran

Zehnyu,

Thank you for your clarification, at least where Gorban Honor Combat is concerned. It seems that, regardless of race, should the challenged not accept the result is the same.

Honor and Duty,

-Gwendara Alanik

Gwendara,

Is honor combat really necessary? It seems to me that the practice of honor combat is really a means of retaliating against someone that has attacked a loved one, an ideal, one's personal code, etc. When emotions get charged and anger bubbles I can understand the desire to challenge someone to fight--to let one's skill with the blade determine a fate. But does it really do that? Will the challengee truly recant? Will they change? What if they win? Does that require you to recant or change?

Would it not be better to live a life, with loved ones close, working towards those ideals and holding to that personal code? And in living--would you not be showing to everyone else the truth? Is that not a stronger message than that which the blade can cut?

Perhaps it is the soldier in me that grows weary of the bloodshed. Perhaps it is the idealist who hopes that we will once more know peace. I ask you to consider what will truly satiate your temper and if this honor combat will accomplish that.

In service,
Squire Man-at-Arms Aven
Barony of Blythedale
Vex Squad, Legion D "The Untiring", Ducal Army

Squire Aven,

This is not a matter of satiating my temper. I do not do this, in a fit of rage, to fight and even cut down someone who I considered a friend. This is a matter of regaining honor, win or lose. Should I win, the incident will be forgotten and things made right. Should I lose, the outcome will be the same. This is a way of righting a wrong, of restoring something that I feel was lost to me. Will the challengee change? That is not for me to say, nor is it the sole purpose of this action. I do not seek bloodshed for bloodshed's sake. I do not long for war; I do not long for strife. I too have been a soldier in my past and I have seen things horrible to recount. I too stand even now on the front lines of battle and also grow weary of the fighting. This is different. This I do, strangely, with peace in my heart because it must be done. I don't really know how to describe what I am feeling in a way that you might understand. I apologize, that is a failing on my part. I also do not issue this challenge lightly. In truth, I have never fought in Honor Combat before. Then again, never before have I really felt the need to.

I do hold close to a personal code, and I do not expect everyone to agree with the means I use to uphold it. I also believe this may be a way to reach one on whom words and other actions have failed. Trust me when I say this, I have been patient, I have tried to show through example and through temperance. I have failed, and I only have myself to blame in this. While I thank you for your words of peace and wisdom, I fear this is one time when I must disagree with you. Though I encourage you to continue being the noble and good hearted person I know you to be. There are times when, the words you have spoken will be true.

Honor and Duty,

-Gwendara Alanik

To be blunt:

Sometimes only things enter into one's mind, when it is beaten into them.

Please do not take offense, but sometimes I wonder what would happen to the longer lived races if you had shorter lifespans. Would you speak as much of codes, that which you can understand the ins and outs of over time, or would you speak more on the life lived short but brightly by the blade?

-Captain Zehnyu Shanshi of the Obsidian Wraith

Back