Staempunk LARP? Zombie LARP?

Anyone interested in running a Steampunk LARP? Or maybe a zombie LARP?

The reason I ask is because (1) I know there are a lot of our players who would love to try one of these and (2) Faire Play is looking to have some at our site in NE PA.

Sometimes players have great ideas for LARPs but think "Ah, it's too expensive to run, and have no place in which to do it anyway." FP has weekends available this summer where we'd love to host it for you. We could work out a deal where you can use our site and maybe even our props and costumes in exchange for the door fee or a percentage thereof (the price of which we could work out). You wouldn't have to spend a cent. We'd get some income we could use to improve the site, you'd get to run your game, and we'd all win.

So if you're interested, let us know.

http://www.FairePlay.org

I think a steampunk offshoot of an alliance larp would be a pretty cool sub event

I'd love to run a Steampunk LARP! Alas the site is far to far away. :(

Robb Graves said:
so.. this too should go on the off topic board shouldn't it? :mer:

Isn't just typical though? Everyone follows the rules except the boss. :D

FYI, there is a Zombie LARP happening at the end of July being run by one of my best friends and an incredible LARP owner and storyteller. It is happening at Ye Olde Commons in CT and all the proceeds of the event are heading to the Japanese Red Cross for earthquake relief.

You can read more about it at http://www.zombielarp.com/

I've thought of running a survival horror, one-shot weekend in which everyone creates and plays a modern day, non-high fantasy version of one of their characters.

If people took it seriously it might be interesting and fun. Your gypsy rogue might become a skate board punk from London. You could also just opt to play a character totally unconnected to your Alliance equivalent, if you'd rather.

We'd have to make a simpler version of the rules, and it would also have to make sense in a modern setting.

If we were playing at FP? Perhaps we'd go with something like…

'There is unscheduled landing of a 747 in rural PA. Not long after the crash survivors can’t help but notice nobody is coming to their aid. Cell phones are getting nothing but busy signals and static. After a few hours a couple small groups decide to venture out and look for help. They don’t return. An hour later, one of the pilots disappears not 40 feet away from the wreck. In search of him, nothing turns up but a bloodied, half torn pant leg. Another hour goes by and the body of a young woman disappears. Her grieving husband is hysterical, screaming to the group that she must be alive, but several report that she was torched and missing an arm. The entire group decides they have no choice. They can see an old dairy farm a mile or two away…'

Yeah?

Deadlands said:
I've thought of running a survival horror, one-shot weekend in which everyone creates and plays a modern day, non-high fantasy version of one of their characters.

If people took it seriously it might be interesting and fun. Your gypsy rogue might become a skate board punk from London. You could also just opt to play a character totally unconnected to your Alliance equivalent, if you'd rather.

We'd have to make a simpler version of the rules, and it would also have to make sense in a modern setting.

If we were playing at FP? Perhaps we'd go with something like…

'There is unscheduled landing of a 747 in rural PA. Not long after the crash survivors can’t help but notice nobody is coming to their aid. Cell phones are getting nothing but busy signals and static. After a few hours a couple small groups decide to venture out and look for help. They don’t return. An hour later, one of the pilots disappears not 40 feet away from the wreck. In search of him, nothing turns up but a bloodied, half torn pant leg. Another hour goes by and the body of a young woman disappears. Her grieving husband is hysterical, screaming to the group that she must be alive, but several report that she was torched and missing an arm. The entire group decides they have no choice. They can see an old dairy farm a mile or two away…'

Yeah?

I'd play the hell out of that.

As would I

I can haz? Plz?

that would be awsome

Lol! That would be a pretty amazing LARP here in Utah... the Zombie theme I mean. We already have an Annual "Zombie Walk"... last year I think we had around 400 people dressed up as Zombies. It was a blast! Lol. Also we have some of the best Haunted Houses here in Salt Lake. So yes... it would go very well indeed.

question... i know there are zombie airsoft larps out there.. but.. i love gary's idea of limited people, limited supplies.. but i keep thinking about 1 thing for modern zombie larps.. how do you deal with phisical combat (hand to hand)?

I assume the answer is, "you don't" or some version of paper rock scissors, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a creative and fun way to deck someone without actually hitting them. I have a system in my head that might be neat, but i want to hear other ideas before i talk about it. any takers?

Boffer chainsaws IMO

I could see boffer weapons still existing.. but i kinda have an issue with no hand to hand in this type of environment... especially if you limite the weapons to like 5 among 15 PCs (which i would).

You could give all the breathers dagger sized weapons which are considered "fists" while the zombies use short-sword length "claws". It means a lot of nose to nose fighting, but Sarr put up with that for years, so it might not be so bad.

A zombie larp here in Utah (that I forgot all about as I only went once back in 2007) use boffer claws and spell packets for their zombies and nerf guns (water guns in the summer) for the "humans" as well as some awesome latex weapons.

They also play in our haunted house here in SLC which makes it even cooler...

Robb Graves said:
I could see boffer weapons still existing.. but i kinda have an issue with no hand to hand in this type of environment... especially if you limite the weapons to like 5 among 15 PCs (which i would).

I had four thoughts.

1) The plane had two sports teams aboard, a little league base ball team and a minor league hockey team, and most of them didn't survive. You get the idea...

2) Green boffers, one dagger length and one short weapon length, reps for arms and legs. You can only block green boffers with green boffers. Otherwise, you take damage.

3) Encourage pcs to make reps (+1 or 2 dam) that look like things you'd find on a plane: Fire extinguisher, electric guitars, prosthetic limbs, pieces of the actual plane, etc.

4) We could provide some farm tool reps for the pcs to find very early in the game: Axes, shovels, etc. And we could provide 'special' weapons from mods: Sawed-off shotguns (cuz of lack of range), chainsaws, bricks of black powder and ultimately, a nuclear warhead...

soooo.. besides doing boffer fist/claws.. i was thinking of a way to do hand to hand combat that didn't involve actual fighting, was not defined entirely by chance (paper rock scissors), and allowed you to put build into it to get better. If you've ever played any fantasy flight board games like a game of thrones or battlestar galactica, you may be familar with thier card/strength system. Lets take a game of thrones for this example since it more closely relates to how I would set up this sytem.

In AGoT boardgame you have units on the board (footmen, knights, seige engines, etc.) each has a strength associated with it (footmen str = 1, knights str = 2, etc.). So when you invade an adjacent area, if it is occupied, you have to battle to see who wins and who is routed. you battle by calculating the total strength cost of each side's units as well as any modifers you have (support from other adjacent armies, special powers, etc.), and finally, you use one of your Generals (characters from the books in card form) which also have a strength associated with them to finish each sides total. I find this method of combat in the boardgame world far superior to dice rolling because there is more skill and planning involved and less random luck or chance. It is however, not 100% know who will win of coarse, becuase you will not know which card your opponant will use as his general and what that card's special powers will do to the final totals.

I wonder if a similar "card-based" system would work in a boffer larp for hand to hand combat. What I mean is we leave in things like boffer machetes, clubs, axes, etc... but since they are so rare (in my version of how a zombie larp should run) we allow hand-to-hand combat using cards. How would it work? a player can purchase hand to hand fighting skills with build. This grants them a number of "fighting cards" per game/logistics period/however that worked. Lets say he is a lower level player and only put a few points into his hand to hand skills. he might only have 3 cards for the whole game. 1 card is worth 2 strength (cause he has put enough build into that skill to earn it), and 2 cards are worth 1 strength. Now, the PC carries these cards (which exist OOG like teach cards do in alliance). If they choose to assult someone, a PC, NPC, zombie, whatever, they use a "call word" similar to how we have "hold" in our game. In this game it could be "Martial Combat" or whatever. This creates a mini hold where the two parties involved have to exchange cards. The PC who called the "martial combat" would show his card first.. then the PC/NPC who he is attacking must respond with either a card of thier own, or be defeated as if that PC had just cold-cocked them. Variables could exist like if the person being attacked was using a boffer weapon, it automatically adds 1 strength to thier total, or Zombies automatically have a strength of 1 or 2 or something because they are difficult to overpower... and there could be a rule that if there are 2 or more targets within striking distance, you can't call "martial combat" because they would overwhelm you or something (to prevent too many mini holds).

The concept has pros and cons... pros being, you can deck people, even when you are unarmed.. including other PCs.. to get your way (if that's the character type you want to play), the obvious cons being needing phisical cards, the mini holds to resolve these issues...

Though, I suppose, if you didn't want to do the card/hold idea.. you could treat them like fighter skills and jsut have a verbal attached to them. You would have to be within a certain distance of the PC/NPC you are attacking, call the verbal for the fighter skill, and resolve it that way.

Thoughts?

Back