The Development of Atupal

Stripe

Scholar
Since we have so much new information coming in, I'm adding the newest updates to the end of this original conversation.
The last update was added after the March market day.

-------

Good evening adventurers.

Though our newly crashed city of Atupal has been in the lands of Gavaria for a short time, it has made a rather large impact in these lands- not the least because of the adventuring community that has blossomed within. And with one of our now retired members- namely our good friend Binks- marrying into the royal family, we have been given a large bequeathment to be used with the express purpose of improving and developing the city of Atupal. A gift we should be most grateful for.

For those who were not there for the announcement, the adventuring community has been given a writ of 500 gold coin for use in developing our city in a way that we see fit. The writ has been safely secured in the town box under the watchful eye of Guildmaster DeSylvia during the market day. I will remind everyone that Queen Pavia has declared that this city and the (now crashed) floating island it came from to be the dominion of the Mercenaries of Wayside - a title that now includes many of the local adventurers as well, from what I gather.
I will also remind everyone that the trolls who allied with us and helped stop the fighting that has plagued our lands have many of their people coming to settle into Atupal, with some aid from the crown to support the initial settlement efforts.

This declaration has NOT been taken well with all of these lands, and has been the subject of much debate. It is also, most importantly, a declaration that can be rescinded at any time if the Queen and her court desire. Which means we are going to take the planning for this task, as well as presenting the proposal to the Queen herself, very, very seriously. Our dominion has a lot of work to make it livable, and while this amount of gold is quite enough to make any one of us rich goes significantly less far when preparing large infrastructure projects. And if we do not show that we are going to be responsible in taking care of OUR home, that was gifted to us by the crown, we may find much less friendly oversight hanging over us in the future. So I encourage everyone to think about what this could mean for the freedoms we have been gifted by the crown.

That said, you are all free people. If you want to build something that we decide not to fund with your own coin, you can do so. I encourage you to do so. The only thing I think that should be asked is that any large projects are announced to the Adventuring Community to make sure we don't have multiple people trying to use the same parcel of land.

The projects that have been proposed by the adventurers at the last market at listed below. They have been sorted and given an estimated cost, which at this point mostly consists of educated guesswork and numbers pulled out of our tails. We will need several things to make this presentable for the Queen.
Firstly, we need to narrow down which projects are the most important and thus funded with the writ, as well as to the amount of funding given.
Secondly, we will need to get estimates for each of these projects- before the construction time in spring starts. I would like at least one adventurer's name by each of the projects we will be funding, who will find out exactly what costs, materials, workers, and time frame we will need.
Thirdly, we need to actually write out a proposal for each of these projects. While the nobles of the adventuring community will do most of this work, we still need a good reason to be argued for each of the projects.

Now, this list only takes into account the basic costs for each project. I have no idea what we will do for upkeep or the salaries of those needed to work in these places, and we will likely need to discuss these costs among the noble adventurers and those with experience in such matters.
It also does not take into account any other funds any individuals or guilds of adventurers wish ti put forward to support something, or simply deal with a project on their own terms.

And, finally, if you wish to add any proposals to the list or wish to change the category of something on here, discuss it here (with respect and calmness, please. This is a lot of work to put together) or send me a missive. I've tried to sort these as best I could on my own, so if there is any incorrect information please just tell me so I can fix it.

The proposed projects, categorized: [To be updated as more information is gathered]

City officials and planners have been talked to, we will add details in updates below.

Required Infrastructure)
Town Hall / Public House - We need a place to organize, meet, and to organize all the paperwork and any city officials.
Confirmed costs - 50 gold

Public Wells / Water Sources - Right now we're getting our drinking water from the crashed city, which is not in the best shape. One burst pipe down below could leave us all without a secure source of water. Wells from the local area, as well as the system to bring the water into town so it's readily accessible, will remove this threat.
Confirmed costs - 20 gold

Food Storage - Storing harvested food for the townsfolk, especially over the winter, is not something we can neglect.
Confirmed costs - 30 gold

Sanitation Facilities - Removal of refuse and sending our wastes outside the city. If we have a decent amount of people living here, we need the equipment and workers to keep things clean.
Confirmed costs - 35 gold, unknown upkeep costs

Fire Department - Most of the new housing is wooden and built quickly. Having a water wagon at and bucket system in place in case of fire reduces the danger of loss of life and damage to the city from accidental fires or reckless flame casters. Does not include costs to staff, relying on volunteers from town in emergencies.
Confirmed costs - 25 gold

City Security)
Militia Training Grounds - Grounds to train a local militia force to deal with minor threats and such.
Confirmed costs - 30 gold, plus salaries

Guard House and Forces - There will be disputes, fights, and other crime in any city. Especially one being built up. Adventurers cannot deal with every problem there is, so we need guards to take care of things and keep the peace.
Confirmed costs - 40 gold, plus salaries (food and board to start)

Armory - We will have guards and security, and they will need a secure building to keep the armor and weapons they use. And anything not commonly used outside of emergencies. We can also, optionally, add in emergency healing supplies or even once ever life items for who we hire to have access to.
Confirmed costs - 40 gold, more if special weapons are added. Or we provide the weapons and armor ourselves.

Town Defenses - Even if it is simply strategically placed watchtowers, Atupal will need some protections. This will be more costly if we decide to build defensive walls or such.
Confirmed cost - 200 gold, plan being made

Important City Projects)
Stable - A place to store horses for use by adventurers, militia, merchants, and travelers. Will allow us to ride to Passwall without needing expensive travel stones.
*Project completed, stabel being moved to new location. Currently owned by Fox.
Note - Will require the services of an experienced stable master, which has yet to be found.

Post Office - The local dutchy has no messenger system for delivering mail outside of nobles using travel stones. This will help inform us of troubles and calls for help more easily, as well as increase the reach of our merchants and scholars. Note - will require Stables to be built as well.
Confirmec costs - 30 gold

General School - A school for teaching the basics to all who wish to attend. Will be especially important with the new trolls settling in.
Confirmed costs - 40 gold, plus salaries [Prademar university to fund 13 gold of costs]

Healer's Hospital - A large facility for healing sickness, both which can and that which cannot be cured by healing spells. Will help stop the spreads of disease and improve the health of the citizenry.
Confirmed costs - 75 gold, plus salaries

General Storage - A storage facility for the town. We will have a lot of construction equipment, supplies, wood, and other things that need to be put somewhere.
Confirmed costs - 35 gold, more if extra security is added

Library - A large bunch of books for people who like them.
Confirmed costs - 40 gold [Prademar university to fund 13 gold of costs]

Public Housing - Housing to bring in more settlers and skilled craftsmen
Confirmed costs - 40 gold

Wish List) [We probably will not be able to fund these, but it would be nice to have them]

Market Square - A large space for merchant stalls to be set up, as well as being able to rent the supplies for traveling merchants or those who do not have their own.
Confirmed costs - 40 gold
(Not including the 'big fancy fountain' everyone was looking for. Fund it yourselves.)

Public Workshops -
Confirmed costs - 50 gold

Fighter's School (Improvement to School of the Mandrake) - Improvements to the fighter school already existing in town, allowing the better training of better troops.
Confirmed costs - 15 gold [Confirmed]

Local Brewery - A local brewery to produce something better than water for the citizens.
Confirmed costs - 30 gold

Magical School - A school focused on the magical arts
Confirmed costs - 50 gold [Prademar university to fund 16 gold of costs]

Farming School - A school focused on farming and increasing crop yields
Confirmed costs - 30 gold [Prademar university to fund 10 gold of costs]

Yearly Festival - A fund for a yearly festival to celebrate the founding of the town or something.
Confirmed costs - 25 gold

Trees - The dryads and elves want to plant trees around town to make it look better and because dryads can tree walk places.
Estimated costs - 5 gold per new type of tree planted

-Fox

Last edited:
It has come to my attention that we need a portable and practicle library. Specifically we need a town resource of spell craftable scrolls for the odds, ends, and dangers we face. I do not know what list of scrolls would be most beneficial but a spellscraft library is definitely needed.

Heinricht,

That is unfortunately out of the scope of this discussion. Such a matter would benefit the Adventurers as a group, not the territory we now care for. Which is, as I understand it, the purpose of this writ.

However, I can point out that the Town Box already exists, and is designed to have resources such as spellcraftable scrolls to benefit the Adventurers. And already has a few in it.

It has not been used as such because we have chosen not to have the gold from the treasures we aquire put to the box. And that many in our community are wary of misuse of said funds.

But I believe Lady Beryl and Guildmaster DeSylvia have been working hard, and quite compitently, to regain people's trust in the Town Box, and you should contact them to see the status of what we have currently, and what support would be required to build this town resource up more. Though I believe this will be a major discussion for the community to have before we can make significant changes.

-Fox

As the box is currently in my possession, I will be happy to give you an accounting and updates in regards to what was used this last market when I have a chance later tonight.

-D

I can say the intent of the 500g is to build upon Atupal as YOU see fit. Would a physical library benefit? If yes, then sure. Would walls around the city be beneficial? If yes, then sure. 500g won't get you everything, but it can get you enough to call this place YOUR home.
At least my two coppers on the matter before I head through the mist.

Again, my home in the Dayspear Dynasty is always open for visits.

Take care my friends, you're retired friend, a simple Prince,
Gregory Renaldo Binks III

Thank you; Based upon the above then we should strike the work benches from the list as these would benefit individual adventurers instead of the community as a whole.

I did make a point to mention that Workshops would be a good use as well as is noted above. Especially for new or traveling individuals who couldn't afford there own.

-Binks

Goodfolk Fox,

I appreciate you bringing these details to the community at large. We have never met, so pardon me when I inquire as to your status. Were you named as the steward for this proposal or have you decided to take the responsibility upon yourself voluntarily? I am equally at peace with either proposition, I merely wish to understand your role in this endeavour. You speak with the authority of a burger or mayor, but have not held forth on your rank in this Dream.

Regardless of your provenance, I applaud your willingness to embrace responsibility and stewardship. Like many decisions of the adventuring community, those who stand up and act become the agents of change.

To the point at hand, Prademar University respectfully submits a bid to plan, erect, and manage the following centers: General School; Library; Magical School; Farming School. As Chancellor of Prademar University, I have access to the professional artisans, masons, and laborers to construct the buildings; as well as the scholars, masters (and journeyfolk), scribes, and tradesfolk to staff them thereafter. I would ask the Atupal Foundation match the University's investment 2:1 to complete these centers. The University is prepared to submit a formal bid if given the opportunity.

While the University brings many strengths and advantages to this engagement, I want to underline one of specific benefits to the adventuring community. The University has a collection of Dragon Script that would be made available for free to any and all Formalists who wish to use it for Spell Crafting and Study, with a requested donation to further augment the script library. This tome is currently housed in my possession, but I am prepared to include it as part of the superstructure of the University's bid. The spell craftable scripts currently include: Elemental Imbuement; Endure Elements; Healing Imbuement; Mark; Potency; Planar Asylum; Quicken Aid; Race Reaver; Spell Swap. The University already uses these scripts to augment new adventurers who join the Steward program, but would be willing to expand that access in this case.

Feel free to seek my bona fides with King Ractor Hook, Emperor Thaddeus Maximus, Duke Barristan Selmi, Duke Enan Bluewater, Baroness Liddia Fallingstar, Sir Lord Jehan Wyldweaver, Lady Beryl Bunchberry, Margrave Auryn Fairhorn, Sir Corbell Sheppard, and Guildmaster Sam Gemclipper, to name a few. King Vekril the Thrice Born as well as the Celestine Fallingstar may also vouch for my integrity, if you are able to contact them in the Aether.

I thank you for your time and patience.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Last edited:
Greetings to you all,

I believe that Fox was delegated this responsibility by the presiding Nobility and Adventurer Leadership present at last market, and was so conferred some authority to coordinate the gifted purse given us by His Majesty, Prince Binks.

I for my part, would like to clarify that The Gloaming Rose currently fills many of these functions mentioned, and I will be happy to relinquish my work; it has been daunting supporting the many in need of Atupal and the surrounding county, but I and my staff have made do with what little we had over the last several months. I would be happy to support the establishment of a larger Hospital, Orphanage, School, and Public Housing, etc., by providing my notes and records we have on file so far, and focus more so on coordinating access to and awareness of these resources for the citizenry.

Many here in Atupal are wary of social services for fear of hidden costs and contracts that might cause them to accrue debt, and then become indentured to some individual or group. The concept of charity it not foreign to them, but it is rare in this society. Setting up Services as mentioned might be resisted based upon these fears, and that is where I and those I serve alongside might be able to be impactful- helping educate citizens to understand which services are available, which free and which will be at a cost, and provide some subsidy to them if they are not able to meet the costs of necessary service.

For now, the Gloaming Rose will continue to serve as an all-in-one place of support for those in need, and we look forward to partnering with the new infrastructure as it coalesces from the good will of Adventurers via this parting gift from His Majesty.

With hope,
Housemother Adlao- HM

Last edited:
Thanks for the support so far everyone! Looks like we have a few parts of this project covered.

Just to make it clear though, I don't have any more decision making power in this endeavor than anyone else. I just am helping out because everyone else in charge had a bunch of paperwork to do already- the decision is, as far as I know, going to be decided by the Adventurers as a whole. Probably after we get all the estimates on how much things will cost and have a discussion next market, and have whoever is interested in this start drafting plans.

Honestly, the biggest hurdles we have are getting the costs for the bigger infrastructure things, like a town hall or sanitation facilities, and also deciding on what levels of defenses we want- that's going to be the big cost for us.

-Fox

Goodfolk Fox,

An important point undergirding the question of protection, defense, and infrastructure is a detailed survey of the Atupal region in terms of size, land-use viability, access to resources, etc. I have spent the last season building a detailed review of this island and will produce it for the community when I am confident it is ready for production - I would expect within the next month.

I believe we can make rough estimates on construction of discrete buildings and structures, but anything that requires a understanding of population use or territorial coverage will depend on the area encompassed and difficulties of terrain: a wall built to secure a hill-top fortress is much easier to create and maintain than one designed to gird several hundred acres; likewise, sanitation for a hundred is far less complex than for several thousand.

Regardless, I will produce more information when my scouts and surveyors return to me with their reports.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

Yes!! That'll help a ton with making plans, thank you so much!

I'm working on getting a survey of how many people moved here, so with all of that we should be able to have an idea of where to start. At least as accurately as I can put together by next market.

It doesn't look like we'll have any exact estimates for the buildings, unless some of the other adventurers are working on it and haven't said, but we can just add in some spare to the budget for that. If you know anyone else working on the project try and bring us all up to speed, if you can.

So right now the meeting next market will be the big task. And getting enough people to speak to it that we reduce how many complaints we get about what we do. At least we'll have winter to finalize plans, since I doubt we'll get much started before spring.

-Fox

Goodfolk Fox,

If the position has not been occupied yet, I can take lead on organizing the Militia Training Ground. I have experience in formation fighting utilized by municipal and rural militias and tactics in hunts against more unconventional, more monstrous, opponents. My current contracts are taking me away from Atupal, however I believe I will be in the region once more at the next market day, I am open to speaking more on this in person.

-Gregor of Korab, Copper Sentinel of the Blackmoon Sentinels

Greeting friends,

Tarque was hoping to convene to consolidate, explore questions, and further refine our plans for this endowment provided for Atupal; however, the pressing matter of the Tribunal took priority, and many were spent after addressing those needs.

He and I were hoping to make this matter a high priority for The Feast, and schedule an appropriate amount of time in The Town’s Agenda for that Market to work on this project.

Please let us know if such a meeting can be established or agreed upon. Tarque has spent an honorable amount of effort and time taking note of the Town’s wishes, and I would rather not his efforts to be for naught.

I suggest we attend to this Saturday morning after breakfast, permitting nothing more urgent takes place.

With humble deference,
Housemother Adlao

Last edited:
To build upon this, I am hoping for the meeting to at least cover the questions of the process on the city's development.

While we can discuss which kinds of infrastructure and buildings we need, we still are in the process of surveying the land and will have a tough time getting anything more than a preliminary budget set before spring.

The main questions I think should be addressed being:
What kinds of defenses do we want for the city?
This will be one of the largest expenses we have, and will constrain what other structures we build as well.

How is method for choosing how the gold will be spent chosen?
I think that having a vote with all the adventurers, either on the budget itself, or on who will be in charge of it.

How will the coin to run the city be raised?
Hiring the people to run the city and maintenance will require coin. Are taxes going to be raised by the crown, or are we going to be allowed to raise them ourselves? Or will we have to find another way to keep the city going.

What kind of governance will run the city?
We could either elect a mayor of some sort, or have a council of adventurers make decisions, or something else entirely.

-Fox

Thank you for initiating this Dialogue, Fox. You are doing a great service to our City and Community.

Here are my thoughts and opinions as Housemother drafted in indigo ink in response to the posed queries:

What kinds of defenses do we want for the city?
  • Central Fortress (or renovate/fortify central structure), elevated, with at least 1 Arcanist Tower outfitted for magical defenses and grand magic rituals of protection.
  • 4 Watchtowers/Guardtowers, 1 in each of the cardinal directions.
  • Is the City still floating?
    • If so, then a means raise and lower bridges.
    • If not, then crenelated walls with fortified gates.
  • A Fortified Shelter for Commonfolk during times of siege or crisis.
  • A Storage Facility for food and supplies in case of siege or crisis.
  • The establishment of a constabulary City Guard, with a salaried Guard Captain ((PC or NPC)) who reports to the Mayor and City Council- see below.
  • The establishment of a City Adviser of Magics akin to a Court Mage ((PC or NPC)) to monitor and assess magical threats to the City who reports to the Mayor and City Council- see below.

How is method for choosing how the gold will be spent chosen?
  • I advocate for an egalitarian approach of popular vote by ballot via The Dreaming.

How will the coin to run the city be raised?
I advocate that funds be centralized in the Town Box, and that for each Town Effort, the canonized town split of loot be the primary source of revenue.
  • We can incentivize donations via creative means, such as having a Tower named after you, etc.

What kind of governance will run the city?
I advocate for a Mayor ((PC)) to be elected, who is then beholden to a City Council Triad comprised by:
  • 1 representative from among the non-titled Common Folk ((Strictly NPC))
  • 1 representative from Gavarian Nobility ((PC or NPC))
  • 1 representative from Adventuring Spirits/The Unbounded ((Strictly PC))
    • The Representative from the Adventures could also be a Town Treasurer to help mind the Town Box
  • The Mayor and Triad should be elected on a yearly ((Season)) term
    • Elected Officials should receive a symbolic annual stipend for their service of certain amount of GP or Goblin Stamps.
  • The Mayor would act as the executor of daily decisions, while the Triad would be more involved in overarching laws, matters of diplomacy, and grander undertakings.

Other questions to ask:

How will we make final decisions for this initial set up?
  • Again, I advocate for an egalitarian vote.
  • Will we vote as a community, and if so, how and when shall we do this?
How will we decide on each line by line suggestions?

How will research to confirm the assessed costs for each item?

With humble deference,
Housemother Adlao- HM

Last edited:
A quick update from my people in the field who have completed their most recent reconnoiter of the topside of Atupal.

In broad strokes, the island has an ellipsoidal shape, 8 miles at its widest, 6 at its narrowest, and is just shy is of 50 square miles in total surface area. The island has a deep and labyrinthine tunnel system below the surface, likely in service for the magics which cohere and support the island. It is hard to gauge depth from the surface, but I estimate the estimate it to extend several hundred feet below the surface and span the entire island.

The magics of the mechanism allow all major biomes to discretely coexist on the surface without interference or intervention. The flora and fauna are largely appropriate to Fortannis with the exception of a few possibly unique herbs and flowers which I am investigating.

On a more personal note, The forest to the north is home to a powerful elven spirit, sheltered from the Graveyard by the Great Dragon or perhaps Fortannis itself. The spirit has approached me, and my kin by heritage, to act as protectors of the forest. We are investigating the spirit and if we find it to be benign, as all signs point, we will petition the town to be named as stewards of the forest in protection of the spirit and preservation for the people of Atupal.

The University cartographers will be ready with a map in a short while and I expect to produce copies for the coming market day. It should outline all the major regions, the current location of the settlement, and perhaps some suggestions for further settlement.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

Update from the March market day:

*As of right now, we are still scribing the papers we worked on into the dreaming, and will have it available soon. Once we have all the information consolidated, I will be updating the list. This is simply to help everyone plan for the next month's work.

During the last market, we had our first official meeting for the planning of Atupal proper.
The decisions were made to lay out our initial construction efforts, and the general direction of where we want to go from here.

- We have made our initial decision on where to locate our initial town center. The map will be added here once we have added it to the dreaming.
- Our initial surveying and planning will focus on setting the borders of the urban center, and the defenses it will incorporate. Much of our initial funds will focus on these efforts. Squire Durinn is currently in charge of the designs, and we will be reviewing them at our next meeting.
-Our initial construction will be build around a Public House concept, an alternative to the Town Hall. We will have a tavern and meeting area downstairs, with the thinking this will be the new meeting place our us adventurers. And the upstairs will be for offices and such.
Currently the tentative plan is to use the stable foundation scroll and catalyst we have here.
- The other focuses we will be working on will be public housing to bring in more workers, as well as food storage and sanitation to help the city grow.
- We will be attracting a guard force with initial payments in food and board, to help out small squabbles that don't need a full team of adventurers to be dealt with.

Overall, our plan is to build up security and the basics to allow a population to thrive in the area first. Then work on making Atupal a trade hub with goods flowing in and out from across the lands. The circle and other travel aids we already have here are going to help that effort greatly.
Food will always be something we have to import, seeing how little farmable land we will have compared to our population. And we will be focusing any forestry efforts on sustainable gathering to not unduly harm the island.

Please come to us with any further questions or discussion from here.

-Fox

Back