The new Bulletin Board

I like this style better.

Why does it log me out every time I try to post, even though I tell it to keep me logged in?

aara, that is likely due to some kind of cache or cookies error you are having. For whatever reason, your browser is not accepting the forums cookie, so it doesn't recognize you as logged in. I would try modifying your cookie settings, clearing your cache for this site, then re-starting your browser and trying again.

Odd, never had an issue before. Haven't made any changes.

I added a "Quick Reply" to the prosilver style, so if that's a big sticking point for you, switch to that style. It allows you to reply without going to another page, all you have to do is hit the words "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the thread.

There should be an image showing up, but I seem to have messed something up in that regard. Figure that out later.

Yeah the prosilver is much prettier than the default.
Thank you Karl for hosting the message board!

-Renee

I don't really like the prosilver, but some people do. Problem is, it doesn't fit with the theme of the site at all! The default goes well with the logo and such. I hope to eventually get quick reply working on the default template as well.

kjtocool said:
I don't really like the prosilver, but some people do. Problem is, it doesn't fit with the theme of the site at all! The default goes well with the logo and such. I hope to eventually get quick reply working on the default template as well.

I like the prosilver better myself. Too bad we can't have the logo there!

Fearless Leader said:
kjtocool said:

I like the prosilver better myself. Too bad we can't have the logo there!

Yeah, with prosilver your stuck with the whole phpbb logo unless you do some serious work to replace the entire header like I did on WoKJ. Not fun.

In general, what was in the old BB setup should be maintained as much as possible unless the change/difference makes a dramatic improvement - we have enough change to deal with just having lost all of that content.

Still, if we could convert the old message database, I for one, would be willing to help foot the bill. Imagine if every Alliance member could contribute just ONE DOLLAR, the conversion would probably be fully funded. I would be willing to contribute five bucks to this effort.

THANKS KARL!!! GREAT JOB.

Oh, and I like the prosilver.

Maybe it's just me, but a few things:

1- The fonts all look really small, lending the page to look smushed. I don't normally have trouble reading fine print but I find myself leaning closer to the screen to read.
2- I prefer to have a reply window at the bottom of the thread and being able to still read the thread when posting. Right now you get kicked to a different screen.
3- (and this is totally just personal preference) I don't like the red. I know it's the red from the outline of the new logo but *shrug* not a fan.

I'm sorry if these sound overly critical. I don't mean to sound unappreciative, as I'm glad we still get to have a BB even if it means having to lose info. I guess maybe I'm just too used to the old one. It's kinda like when somebody gets a new haircut. It's not necessarily bad, just so different from what you're used to...

-Michelle

Ondreij said:
In general, what was in the old BB setup should be maintained as much as possible unless the change/difference makes a dramatic improvement - we have enough change to deal with just having lost all of that content.

Still, if we could convert the old message database, I for one, would be willing to help foot the bill. Imagine if every Alliance member could contribute just ONE DOLLAR, the conversion would probably be fully funded. I would be willing to contribute five bucks to this effort.

THANKS KARL!!! GREAT JOB.

Oh, and I like the prosilver.

It's not a matter of money -- it's technology and compatability.

Now if there is some nerd out there who knows some magic way to transfer the messages over here, speak up now before it's too late!!!

Ezri said:
Maybe it's just me, but a few things:

1- The fonts all look really small, lending the page to look smushed. I don't normally have trouble reading fine print but I find myself leaning closer to the screen to read.
2- I prefer to have a reply window at the bottom of the thread and being able to still read the thread when posting. Right now you get kicked to a different screen.
3- (and this is totally just personal preference) I don't like the red. I know it's the red from the outline of the new logo but *shrug* not a fan.

I'm sorry if these sound overly critical. I don't mean to sound unappreciative, as I'm glad we still get to have a BB even if it means having to lose info. I guess maybe I'm just too used to the old one. It's kinda like when somebody gets a new haircut. It's not necessarily bad, just so different from what you're used to...

-Michelle

Go into board preferences and choose "prosilver" which solves all of these problems.

Well, if you really want to try and convert the old board, I suggest having Mike go to some type of developer forum and soliciting a quote. I was guesstimating when I estimated a few hundred. I don't really have a suggestion on anywhere or anyone who may be able to transfer the forum, it's over my head.

So more important than the $$ aspect is finding someone who would / can do it.

kjtocool said:
Well, if you really want to try and convert the old board, I suggest having Mike go to some type of developer forum and soliciting a quote. I was guesstimating when I estimated a few hundred. I don't really have a suggestion on anywhere or anyone who may be able to transfer the forum, it's over my head.

So more important than the $$ aspect is finding someone who would / can do it.

Ah, I was under the impression that converting was impossible.

I know nothing of this stuff so if someone wants to take on that task and can find someone who can do it, let me know.

Come on Mike! Nothing is impossible if you have enough money to throw at the problem!

It would just be very difficult. Someone would have to take your old database, and convert it so that it fits phpbb's style in a mysql format. No easy task. Basically, you need a script which auto converts all tables to the correct formats, inputs the correct values where the old forum has nothing matching, knows what to do with values that don't match phpbb's table style.

It's not easy. Impossible? No. Nothings impossible these days. Impractical and highly unlikely? Yep.

I'm sorry Karl I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like your work. It's "old shoe" syndrome is all. The new shoes might be 10x nicer but the old ones were worn in and comfy. Does that make more sense?

And actually after looking at the test thingies I really liked Black Pearl. It's higher contrast, and the colors even match our logo...

Just a suggestion ;)

-Michelle

Don't worry, no scruff off my back! People always resist change, have since the beginning of time, but sometimes there's nothing you can do ... evolve or die! Heh.

I added the black pearl style, hope it helps! (You can change to it by going to the User Control Panel)

KJ

Back