The new Sheriff ain't no greenhorn

Mobius

Squire
Chicago Staff
Marshal
First, unless I'm greatly mistaken, which is often the case, Hennessy has been named a Sheriff by Lord Regent Rockfist. I don't know if this is to replace or in addition to Ashland Garrett, but in either case: Congratulations, Sheriff!

Two, Sheriff Hennessy, anything we need to know? Deputies? Law interpretations? Do you accept bribes of pie or cider? Sheriff Garrett didn't have any official way to contact him or a standardized way to bring suit, you changing that? What with all the recent madness, I thought it might be a good time to regulate some kind of order. Oh, and we need to get you a shiny star.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Thank you Dramthin. I do hope that in future my brand of justice will be swift enough to be to your liking.

Citizens of Briarpass,

Regent Effram Rockfist has charged me with keeping the peace in these lands, and that is what I shall do. The good folk of Briarpass know where I make my home and may contact me there. They may also deliver such messages and missives as they have to my home. I have been told that pidgeons are kept for use by the Sheriff, these may also be used to contact me. Please bring to me any concerns or complaints that you may have, that I may deal with them as swiftly as possible.

Briarpass has many enemies, both without and within. I urge you all to think on the things that you do and what consequences they may have. It is up to all good people to keep the peace, by keeping themselves peaceful. As I'm sure your each of your mothers told each of you, in the end you will reap what you have sown.

Hennessy
Sheriff for the free peoples of Briarpass

I did not realize that the good Sheriff Henesy was new; I thought he handled the ridiculous human squabbles with the grace of an experienced Law Man. However congratulations on that, and I for one was quite pleased that things did not erupt into violence with the Magistrates the second evening in the tavern.

- Eldarion -

Here here Hennessey will be a most just sheriff. I look foward to his new brand of justice, Effram chose well.

Liddia FallingStar

Sheriff, I hope your Justice is wise and forgiving. Unless it's directed at me, in which case I want it to be lax, permissive, and generous - maybe with a little pie on the side ;)

Dramthin Hartsboon

Well as long as no laws against Elves wearing jingly jester hats pop up your probably fine Dramthin! =P

- Eldarion -

ARG! I was framed, I tell you! I've got better fashion sense than to wear vermillion, forest, and royal purple simultaneously. You'll never take me alive, constable!

Dramthin Hartsboon

What is wrong with wearing vermillion, forest and royal purple simultaneously? I especially liked the bells. You should wear more often!

I would like to thank Hennessy for taking this postion as Sherriff. May you serve the people well, I have nye doubt that you shall!

~Marcey

Ah well coming from the mouth of a true Gypsy I can see that I was not far off the mark that first night to think you might be one of their kind Dramthin! Although be sure I say so only in jest now. I myself will stick to the red and black more common to my people. ^_^

But I certainly see nothing wrong with a splash of color, in the comfortable shadows of the evening it does set one apart.

- Eldarion -

I think it's more my attitude than my clothing which suggests a Romani patina. I've been excused from more than a few solemn, elven occassions because I have too "lively and churlish" a spirit. I s'pose it comes from spending most of my life with younger races, tends to bestow a certain panache. But, it was the nature of the hat which give it a gauche aire, that and the kisses. I won't even tell you where else I found the a'cursed things.

Dramthin Hartsboon

Ah you as well? I knew we had more in common than just good spirits. I have personal history that is somewhat similar, we must talk when we next meet on a market day. =)

Mobius said:
I think it's more my attitude than my clothing which suggests a Romani patina. I've been excused from more than a few solemn, elven occassions because I have too "lively and churlish" a spirit. I s'pose it comes from spending most of my life with younger races, tends to bestow a certain panache. But, it was the nature of the hat which give it a gauche aire, that and the kisses. I won't even tell you where else I found the a'cursed things.

Dramthin Hartsboon

I do agree. Although the new colors could only help! :D

New Sheriff! Well, it's about time. I got a bone to pick too. You see, fella by the name of Nevil (he lives to the south, you know?) sold me a hunting dog. I didnt think he was looking too good when I bought 'im, but Neville said he was just a little under the weather (on account of that cold snap, you know?). Poor thing didn't last the week out before was diging him a resting place. Anywho, my beef is that he sold me his ill dog just to a few copper out of me, and that aint right ( at least in my opinion. Heck, it's really more about the point of thing, you know?) I'd appreciate if you could give the matter a little thought, on acount of the misses wantin to visit em before next market (she'll get right mad if i spoil her time having to fuss with Nevil about it, you know?)

Doug Pepper
Corn Rancher
P.S.- I'll be spreading the word about the new Sheriff, if'n ya don't mind. I know my missus is already a fair bit reeaved knowing there's one about again

AS IS means just that! You can't go kissing up to the sheriff whinning so he'll get you your money back the all you peppers are good fur nuthing whiners!

Nevil-

You ain't never said AS IS. If'n you said that, it'd be a different matter (AS IS being what it is, you know?). And what'd you having to go throwin' names about?Here i am wanting to get some lawful answers from the law-man directly and you go blabbering and fussing, calling my family names. I ain't never said a mean word about my fellows in my life, but your coming right close to changing that (My temper having it limits, like anyone else's, you know?).

Doug Pepper
Corn Rancher

Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of a critter is a Sheriff, and how come they gotta wait for someone to give them that name?

- Unknown

This particular Sheriff is an Elf of the Mystic Wood, you may call us Elves with horns or Fae-kin or any number of other things depending on where you hail from. To further answer your question, a Sheriff isn't a type of critter. "Sheriff" is a title of sorts, or more a name for an office of duty. In Briarpass it is the Sheriff's (and thus my) duty to maintain the peace and to ensure the safety and freedom of the citizens of Briarpass.

Hennessy

Oh, you gotta do that all by yourself? What are the rest of the folks up to around there in Brairpass if they arn't keepin things safe? If theres truely only one defender needed, then there must not be much chance for adventurer around those parts?

-Still Unknown

I most certainly cannot do the job alone, I count on every citizen fo and visitor to Briarpass to do what they can to maintain the peace and to defend Briarpass against those who endeavor to harm her. Briarpass welcomes all honest folks, and gives shelter to those who care for her.

As Sheriff I merely act as a rallying point. The people of Briarpass are able to bring their concerns to me and I do what I can to see that those concerns are handled. Often times these issues are beyond my abiltiy to handle alone and I call on the good people of Briarpass for aid.

Hennessy,

Unknown person - There are two points we're discussing here, the role of a citizen and that of a sheriff: a citizen's role is to act within the constraints of the law, support the government often through levies or taxes, and act as a responsible member of the community; a sheriff's role is to moniter citizens to ensure they are fulfilling their responsibility, act as arbitor in the case of certain civil disputes, and track down those citizens who are not fulfilling their role with the intention of bringing them before a Lord or magistrate for judgement. That is, citizens follow the law and sheriffs ensure they are doing so correctly. The sheriff's role begins and ends with the laws of the Lord; in Briarpass' case, it begins and ends with Lord Regent Effram Rockfist.

His responsibility as sheriff has little to do with his actions as an adventurer. The sheriff's duty is not to defend the town from specialized attacks, but to maintain order within its citizenry. An adventurer is a citizen who decides to act as militia against problems the regular army cannot, has not, or will not resolve. That Sheriff Hennessy juggles both speaks to his bravery and ability. As a sheriff, he has issues well in hand; as an adventurer, he can always use more assistance as any given threat is often best handled through combined foresight and preparation.

This is, obviously, a condensed understanding of the underlying civics, but does it clear up your question?

Dramthin Hartsboon

Back