Thin Weapon Construction

To my rational mind, I say absolutely, because it's obviously as safe as a sword made the same way would be if not marginally safer for the slightly more padding the open cell would provide. Jeff the player and all around guy highly approves of this weapon.

However, it has long been my understanding that with blunt weapons, axes, and pole arms, the only legal striking surface for those weapons is the head, if you are struck with the shaft of the weapon you don't take the damage. Now, with some of the OHB's I've seen that have minimum size heads, you're getting hit with the head area of the mace more than the little fins going down the side, but anyway. With the club you have there, there's no clearly defined head or shaft, it's all the same thing, but the weapon chart says there's a minimum length area that is designated as the shaft, which is below the head of the weapon. Granted, I've gone back in and looked at the rules around the weapons pages and the only ones that specify "head only counts" rule is spears and javelins, so the RAW does not support this, but that is the way I've always understood the rule worked for these weapons (11 years and counting of understanding). So, would you mind posting that picture up in the ARC section so we can see if this has been a long-standing misconception (AFAIK it's a pretty far spread misconception on the Left Coast if it is, it's not just me) or if we need to put a clarification in the addendum to make sure we all know why they are to be made that way. I'd do it but can't figure out how to capture that diagram you did and post it in my posting, and that's a great cutaway of what we're trying to figure out.

club-diagram2.jpg

so it have to be like this

Thanks, given that weapon approval is open to a lot of interpretation I'd normally not bother them with that kind of question, but it brought up a pretty fundamental clarification in need of straightening out. Primarily, is the shaft requirement primarily for safety and is just the minimum required padding, thus making more padding like extended blunt surfacing or axe heads that attach at the top and bottom of the shaft area fine, or does it really have to be nothing but bare pipe foam from the head down?

if it cant be done because of the striking surface rules i would accept that. it would just be unfortunate because bam bam clubs seem like fun.

Shenanigans, on the grounds that a club padded with open cell foam along it's length is a sword with extra padding, therefor conferring no extraordinary advantage nor creating any safety risk. As it is no more dangerous nor clearly superior to an equivalent sword type boffer, I say make it and try to talk your weapons marshall into passing it.

The only advantage would be if the intention behind having the minimum shaft length on a blunt weapon and axe is for blows delivered only by the head of the weapon being legal hits. If that 's the case, then this club design would eliminate that restriction since it would no longer have a clearly defined head to strike with. Otherwise, I agree.

technically you could designate a portion of the head of the club with different colored tape or markings to OOG mark the valid striking surface while maintaining the same shape.

Yeah, I thought of that too and would be fine just waiting to see what ARC has to say about intent of the rule before brainstorming further into working within it's parameters.

mike responded and said to follow the rule book. yay for clarification?..... is there a way to tell who is on arc? i can never tell if the responses on the arc boards are from arc members, because sometimes they are not.

Engler is not on ARC. I know, i am pretty sick of people posting in there who are not ARC. I may be modifying the board permissions soon to prevent all replies except from the ARC group. I just didn't want it to have to come to that in case there were valid follow up questions or something.

but is there a way to tell. I really dont mind it when people put follow up posts in the arc boards, i just want to know who is the arc member when the respond.

technically yes and no. yes, you would normally click the group listing at the bottom of the board and see the members, but, no, because for some reason, the ARC is a hidden group (i didn't set it up).

I don't think there is a problem with listing the members (so i dunno why it is hidden) but right now the ARC members on the board are:

Fearless Leader
Duke Frost
Polare
Lira
paythin

Back