Thin Weapon Construction

You just have to let them fatten up for a few months.

Just don't get too attached.

Jeff, I'd never use a baby that would be missed.

Jeez.

If this is the case then I'd like to see if I can get a thrown weapon passed with similar construction materials. Provided it passed an actual safety check and had a Thrown Weapon tag taped to it of course.

--Chazz

You'd have to debone it.

No cores in thrown weapons.

If its any consolation, I still think you should try it.

Chazz said:
umm, yes. But your confusion has me worried that you are thinking something different than you are aking.

How else would you construct say the head of a club or axe or polearm? Just about every mace you've used at CT is UL core, 5/8' foam shaft with open cell taped on to create the head.

--Chazz

i got confused when i had read this

Chazz said:
I am not sure I'd pass open cell over camp pad. Of course I'd have to see it first no matter what. My thoughts though are that open cell doesn't last like closed cell especially in the blade area. Open cell also retains a lot more water and I question it after any bad weather. Then again if you used enough it would certianly be soft enough. So I guess I'd say that open cell over closed would fail if it were used to just bring it up to 5/8". Now if you used to bring it up to the 1"+ mark or some other point of ridiculous softness then I'd have to reconsider.
--Chazz

i missed the whole "camp pad" and misinterpreted the whole statement. I actually don't generally grab the blunt weapons, and when i have i never really payed attention to the detail of the construction. I confuse easily sometimes (just ask jen) and thought i had missed something about blunt construction and where it was and wasn't appropriate to use open cell.

The reason i asked in any event was my younger brother is considering making a dryad and i told him i would attempt to make him some weapons. we were going to make a long club of sorts that started at normal 2" thickness (just the core and 5/8 closed cell wall) and after the handle would tapper out using open cell to maybe 3 or 4 inches in width making a cone type club. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a limit on how much open cell could be used around the weapon as a whole. I know that hammers and such have an open cell head but i couldn't ever remember seeing anything like what we intended to make and got worried it wouldn't pass. Thus i shouldn't expend the effort, and make something else for him instead.

thrown baby as a weapon.... nice :lol:

They do have a maximum volume for the foam head, and there is supposed to be 18" of plain padded pipe for the "shaft" of the weapon between where the head attaches to the shaft and the grip, so tapering it all the way up from the grip won't fly. If and when I make my dryad I had intended to make a vine-wrapped club, making a twining vine going up from the grip up to the head of it, where I'd cut the wrapped open-cell foam at the top to look like a mass of wrapped vines. That or a gnurled root gripping a stone at the end. Or maybe both :D.

It just says the head has to be "noticably thicker" than the shaft. Nowhere does it define the shaft as having to be 5/8" on PVC. Just that it must be "at least" so. I see nothing wrong with a Bam Bam style club so long as there is a defined "head" of some sort.

More foam = More squishy = Probably gonna pass. Hence Justin's alternative mentioned methods.

--Chazz

So anyways, what did you think of the weapon pictures I posted chazz? I realize that just because you'd pass something does not mean everyone/anyone else necessarily will, but I was curious of your opinion? (And the opinion of other weapon marshals too for that matter.)

awesome. so all there is to do is wait until the materials arrive in the mail. i guess "waiting" is the other half of the battle.

Thankfully, I'm not Chazz, but based on looking at the pictures, I'd probably pass it in Ohio.

But there is much more to it than just the pics as I'm sure you know.

Hammers, axes, maces, one handed spears and polearms must have a padded head that is shaped appropriate to the weapon type. This padded head must be made out of open cell foam and it must be placed over the 5/8” pipe insulation that covers the core. It must also fit within the volume limits listed with the chart. The head must be noticeably thicker than the pipe insulation and should squash easily. The shaft, which is the area from the grip to the beginning of the head, must also be padded. The “Shaft Min” column on the chart shows the minimum length of padded area below the head.

If the entire length above the grip is "head", which if you began the taper right at the grip it would be, then it violates the minimum shaft length requirement.

tieran said:
Thankfully, I'm not Chazz, but based on looking at the pictures, I'd probably pass it in Ohio.

But there is much more to it than just the pics as I'm sure you know.

oh of course, but I appreciate the preliminary assessment. It might actually be put to the test as well since I'm really hoping I might be able to find some people to come out to the Ohio June long weekend event with! ;) Long weekends = awesome in my mind.

See I think I have to align myself with Mr. Bender here.

It does say the shaft has to be padded and the head must be noticably thicker than the shaft.

But if you made the weapon such that for the first 18" above the handle it went from the thickness of the pipe foam to 1" or so thickness of open cell and then after the 18" mark expanded out from 1" to 4" over say the next 6 inches and then stayed at 4" additional thickness for the remainder of the weapon (assuming that did not violate the maximum volume) I think I'd be ok with the less than 1" section representing the shaft of the weapon.

Dreamingfurther said:
oh of course, but I appreciate the preliminary assessment. It might actually be put to the test as well since I'm really hoping I might be able to find some people to come out to the Ohio June long weekend event with! ;) Long weekends = awesome in my mind.

If you do come out, please bring your crazy long bow strap contraption as I want to take a look at it.

certainly! :)

club-diagram.jpg

this is kinda what i had in mind. is this legit?

The issue is that there is no easily descernible poiint at which the "shaft" becomes the "head" and according to the rules the head must be noticable thicker than the shaft.

The long 'club' I made for Craver's secondary (a racoon scavenger) was a brown base with a thick "root" curling up from the handle. It was out of open cell, and had a thicker part near the head. The overall volume of the head was inside the spec, but the mass/weight was carried mostly thru the shaft, instead of being mostly at the end...

Back