Titles for casters: wizard of..., mage, sorceror, what else?

For an Earth ritualist --> Master-Caster
For a Celestial ritualist --> Master-Blaster

No, really -- does it really matter what you call yourself. It's not what you call yourself but what you do with your skills, for you shall be known by your deeds and not by what you think of yourself.

I am a fan of 'Arcanist' and things of that ilk.

Our guild structure in Stonehaven lends me a great name: 'RiteMaster Sonus'

Ondreij said:

Ondreij, I hope you know what you were referring to here... I like to think I have some brains to go along with my blasting. ;)

i just did a thesaurus search here are some good ones i thought.

Charmer
Conjurer
Enchanter or Enchantress
Marvel
Seer
Soothsayer
Spellbinder
Thaumaturge (just thought it sounded cool, but dont know if it has any connotations)
Theurgist (same as Thaumaturge )

Ondreij said:
For an Earth ritualist --> Master-Caster

No, really -- does it really matter what you call yourself. It's not what you call yourself but what you do with your skills, for you shall be known by your deeds and not by what you think of yourself.

WHO RUNS BARTER TOWN!

MASTER BLASTER! :D

To me this shouts Tremere from the original White Wolf Vampire game so it would have something to do with blood magic, willpower, or flame. I guess flame for our game.
Jevedor said:
Thaumaturge (just thought it sounded cool, but dont know if it has any connotations)
Theurgist (same as Thaumaturge )

The term thaumaturgy is much, much older than Whtie Wolf, and has often been used in Greek to refer to the miracleworking of Christian saints. :) It became a popular term for magic during the Victorian craze for the occult, after its use by John Dee in the 1570's.

Theo Zhounil said:
Call one of these Female Ritual casters a Crone or a Hag.....I Dare you.

But wait, :lol: I wanna be there when you do it.

I know a few people who would be honored to be called a Crone, OOG anyway. It's a term reserved for a wisewoman. Hag sometimes has that same meaning, but not always. The only problem with calling them a Crone OOG is that a Crone is generally supposed to be quite old.

Entropomancer for someone using the power of entroy, chaos and randomness

Magister for someone who is a powerful wiizard.

Lord-Savant for someone who has a freakish level of control over one aspect of magic, to the detriment of all others.

I call shenanigans. Neo-pagan, Wiccan, and other modern religions adopted those terms as having a religious meaning in the recent past, while the words preexisted in society and continued to evolve and have distinctive everyday connotations in mainstream language. Some similar examples are Clerical workers, who deal with papers instead of exorcisms, or Mage and Magi, which refer to figures in Christian traditions and in the Zoroastrian religion. Actually, as I understand it the word Magic owes it's root to a term for followers of the Zoroastrian Religion, so it could be argued that the use of Magi, Mage, or Magic, or any derivative term, should be banned as potentially offensive to the practitioners of a world religion, albeit one with a rather limited number of adherents.

Additionally, I would argue that Witches of various sorts exist in so many different mythological, fictional, fantastic, and cultural association that it would be unfair to forbid the use of all instances of the term on the grounds of it's use by certain religions.

Basically, while some religions use the term to describe their adherents, the term pre-dates that usage by centuries and is used to describe an astonishing number of characters from fantasy and mythology. What is the Baba-Yaga, if not a witch? What are the Norns? Hel? Hecate? What shall we call Madame Mim? Mab? Morgan La Fay?

The problem with trying to have magic but not religion is that, in my mind, the idea that magic and religion could be separate or different things is a very recent one, and not well developed in our source material. Gandalf was a Maiar, a semi-divine servant of the godlike Valar, who were in turn the children, partners, or students of Eru Illuvatar. Hell, Elminster, that old plagiarism, had a similar role. Elric has an evil Demon in his sword and deals with Chaos on a regular basis. Conan fights demons and Settite priests every other Tuesday at six. Allanon and Brona were Druids, and Bards, Skalds, and their various kin have at least as much of a religious role as a secular one. Odysseus couldn't have made it far without Athena, Herakles was a bastard son of Zeus, and Achilles mother was a demi-goddess. All dragons issue forth from Tiamat, Vampires are created when a corpse is denied a christian burial, and so forth. Almost every hero from Mythology is distantly related to one or more gods or demi-gods. They've all got divine patrons. They all fight off underworld demons or evil gods or something of the sort. It just sort of comes with the territory.

And now, titles for your wizard.

Thanadule the Unclean, Lavamancer.

Bridget, Mistress of this very small rock which she can propel through your brain at incredible speeds if you keep talking like that.

The Ineffable Gigant, First among the Monkeys

Bubba Loophoole the most wise and flatteringly attired

Master Tibald Gobledugook, Professional Dragon Wrangler

Riddler Davion Primus

Beldona Who Knows All Secrets

The Amazing Brawndo!

Dread Immati the Rising Boot of the Inevitable

Terribus Who Walks With Wolves

Grannar The Unfashionable.

The Hermit Myxlpyx.

The Most Wise and Honored Wizard, John Runcible, Master of Smoking Crater Mountain.

Torontognash the Impressively Depraved.

The Archlich Boneash, formerly Boneash the Deceased, Formerly Dave Runcible of Lansing, Michigan.

Gilgamesh, Student of Enki, in the tradition of the great school of Sumer.

Boron who does not speak the names of ghosts.

Wilco the Thrice Shaken.

Being a longtime practicing Wiccan, I can say that for a game that doesn't have religion, we use things that I've used for a decade as part of a religious ritual, and I've learned to let it go.

Wands, circles, schools of magic, fae, guardians, elementals... the list goes on and on. When you take a step back and realize that religions helped propel the human race forward (and greatly influenced every aspect of the arts and therefore our language), so long as there is no malicious intent, then there should be no foul.

I don't mind being called a witch the way Samara doesn't mind being called Jewish. We would both mind if the terms were used perjoratively.

Stay away from the terms that can be socially awkward (like Hag, or Crone, even if they are revered positions to hold in life), or letting tone or context twist a word like Witch, and we'll be fine.

(*On a side note, I now want to play an NPC named Bridget, Mistress of this very small rock which she can propel through your brain at incredible speeds if you keep talking like that.)

Back