Tonfas

In my opinion, people aren't looking at this from a "what can we do to accomodate variety" perspective.

Let's break this into the two relevant component questions;
Can you *make* tonfas? Absolutely. That was an easy question to answer. Oh, what is a handle on a real tonfa will have to be coreless foam on the boffer version, but as long as you get dimensions right, you can absolutely make something that looks like a tonfa.

Can you legally fight in an alliance game weidling your tonfa-esque boffer in the manner in which the real-life counterpart is weilded. Absolutely not. You'd have to hold it by the short end, and use it like a club.

See, you can get a yes out of the question if you try really hard.

For historical reference; when I first started playing (and yes, some of the people in this thread couldn't go on the scary rides yet at this point) one of the friends that introduced me the game had made some and wanted to try them out before he brought them to game. They didn't work. He looked funny. We laughed at him.

More than two thirds of us had come up with such weapon designs when we first started out - and got mocked for it. It's a right of passage.

I remember trying to make rattan sai's for the SCA and Kamas for LARPing. :)

Zymm said:
For historical reference; when I first started playing (and yes, some of the people in this thread couldn't go on the scary rides yet at this point)....

Thank you Paul. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Okay, I guess that's pretty much settled then. : (

... So... How would you make foam shotgun-chucks? With chainsaw bayonettes?

Wow... just wow.

The only way that could be more anti-zombie if it was attached to a pump-action Remington. With a cricket bat for a stock.

Okay got a question here for the Tonfa
It is already a solid no for using pvc pipe as joints would break and heating up to bend the pipe would weaken it (although I personally do not believeit would eaken it enough to make a difference, but that is neither her nore there). So what if one were to pour a custom plastic (AKA PC) core into the general shape? and do the weapon making process from there?

For the record heating and bending PVC is a totally legit strategy. I've done it for all my bows.

However, that said you can't have anything more than curves, even if those curves are sharp because there is no weapon hooking allowed. Any core that could possibly remotely hook weapons, especially with the core would be failed I believe. But otherwise if your chapter is cool with alternative core constructions that sort of method could be used for building a special core I would think.

gotch ya. thanks

Back