Top 20 Memorized Spells July Infograph

I am shocked that Mend Armor Storm isn't even on the list. Every Celestial Caster I know Memorizes at least 3 of them every LP.

I am shocked that Mend Armor Storm isn't even on the list. Every Celestial Caster I know Memorizes at least 3 of them every LP.

I was too. But, our region didn't have a ton of events and they were one days. There's also a large imbalance of earth casters to celestial casters (which reflects the game as a whole). It was 2:1. So in a general graph like this, Celestial spells are always going to super disadvantaged.

And that’s the social expectation, folks.

I can't speak to what your region is like. Although, I hope to visit soon.

There's not that social expectation in the Midwest. We have several characters who are all in on being "death" type folks. They memorize Dooms, like entirely.

I've watched the conversations play out several times with a few folks. "Hey Naomi, can you life this person." "I don't don't memorize life spells" "Ok, Hey Mathis can you...". Additionally, Doom is a really good riposting blow choice if you're high enough level and/or have magic items prepped to do it. So a lot of our spellswords keep at one in memory. Lastly, there's a reasonable amount of spell swaps and spell stores floating around. Generally speaking if there must be an absolutely life spell needed you can magical conduit into one. A few folks take dooms and pick up a exchange spell/spell swap to 3 count to the life if it comes up.

The other side of the coin is there is a ton of all in healers who love doing that and will happily memorize all life spells.

So I think it gets a fair amount of play. But, July is a large dead zone for the midwest.

So, I feel sorry that there's this pressure on your character concept. I'd invite you to come play in the midwest. You'd fit in with a bunch of characters.

However

The bigger problem regionally seems to be that a lot of plot teams haven't bought into the idea that nothing should be immune to Doom. I've seen and heard stories a handful of times where monsters didn't take Doom, which pushes folks towards Life, or Earth Storm. As long as you've checked if the person is dead, Life is guaranteed to work. There's no murkiness around if the monster is "too big" to take doom. 9th level spells are a huge character investment. Folks want to not waste them. You generally lock in effectiveness with Life.

Inevitably, things like prop monsters or whatever might want to take and different effect then straight up dying. Since those props take a long time to build, and you'd want everyone to have a chance to enjoy the terror of fighting a 12 foot troll. But, we are in the 3rd month of 2.0 and I worry that folks are resigning to the fact that "Everything takes Doom" really means "Everything that's not important takes Doom" doesn't bode well for the spell.

The sad side effect of this is also that, Doom Blow is aggressively worse than Terminate was.

Inevitably, things like prop monsters or whatever might want to take and different effect then straight up dying. Since those props take a long time to build, and you'd want everyone to have a chance to enjoy the terror of fighting a 12 foot troll. But, we are in the 3rd month of 2.0 and I worry that folks are resigning to the fact that "Everything takes Doom" really means "Everything that's not important takes Doom" doesn't bode well for the spell.

The sad side effect of this is also that, Doom Blow is aggressively worse than Terminate was.

This is a big fear of mine. As a Rogue, I have 5 doom blows, and 5 ripostes. So I can pump out alot of dooms in a day. In the first playtest I did as a earth templar the first undead I hit with doom said no effect, I guess it was templeted off a mummy so it was immune to curse. But I obv I didnt bother using doom on undead the rest of the event.

I will say in Seattle this hasnt been much an issue during live 2.0 events. In the last 2 events I have killed 2 big bads with doom. Which I found surprisingly pleasing. But also some big bads Alter doom, I assume taking more damage from it. Which is fine, though I would like it too be a set known number. I do see a future where Doom blow/spell/etc becomes not super great except for taking out the trash npcs. I find it likely I will sell back all but 1 doom blow eventually as that starts to happen.

And your point about doom blow being much worse then terminate is spot on. Eviserate is still a solid skill. But Terminate is just adding a carrier, and I find to be much weaker over all as it doesnt add to your KO effects most the time. If you are a high level rogue like me, you can use it without an assassinate and have it be okay. But it is nothing when compared to 500 body swings a fighter gets. Those are much more likely to land. Where as Doom is more likely to be defended by cloaks/resists or just straight No effect or Altered.

The build cost of 5 build per is a bit much, where as Waylay is 2 build, and most things that a doom will stick to a paralysis will too. I am now realizing maybe I should just sell back my 5 dooms for 12 waylays...

This is a big fear of mine. As a Rogue, I have 5 doom blows, and 5 ripostes. So I can pump out alot of dooms in a day. In the first playtest I did as a earth templar the first undead I hit with doom said no effect, I guess it was templeted off a mummy so it was immune to curse. But I obv I didnt bother using doom on undead the rest of the event.
Yeah. The same thing happened with poison this weekend. Someone baned a poison doom back. The monsters were immune to pison but, we weren't thinking and assumed it was doom. I was like, Darn I'm going to have to go have a talk about stating, as we try to avoid this super super super hard at somi. I was wrong but, it still scared everyone away from dooms for that mod. The runner totally had enough fore thought to be like, hey just think for a second about the qualifier and everything will make sense.

I will say in Seattle this hasnt been much an issue during live 2.0 events. In the last 2 events I have killed 2 big bads with doom. Which I found surprisingly pleasing. But also some big bads Alter doom, I assume taking more damage from it. Which is fine, though I would like it too be a set known number.
Super awesome. I'm generally happy with altered effect.

And your point about doom blow being much worse then terminate is spot on. Eviserate is still a solid skill. But Terminate is just adding a carrier, and I find to be much weaker over all as it doesnt add to your KO effects most the time. If you are a high level rogue like me, you can use it without an assassinate and have it be okay. But it is nothing when compared to 500 body swings a fighter gets. Those are much more likely to land. Where as Doom is more likely to be defended by cloaks/resists or just straight No effect or Altered.

The build cost of 5 build per is a bit much, where as Waylay is 2 build, and most things that a doom will stick to a paralysis will too. I am now realizing maybe I should just sell back my 5 dooms for 12 waylays...

It's pretty much just a braggart move for me. I use it to add a bit fo flourish to riposting blows.

I have some ideas about how to keep this skill intact but I haven't looked at any of the data. It could be we're both wrong. As 2.0 goes on we'll see some folks balance out purchases, people might sell them back. Given enough time, maybe the data will back me and we can look at changing it.

I have some ideas about how to keep this skill intact but I haven't looked at any of the data. It could be we're both wrong. As 2.0 goes on we'll see some folks balance out purchases, people might sell them back. Given enough time, maybe the data will back me and we can look at changing it.

Personally I would love to see it be reduced in cost to like 3 build and just do something like, double your assassinate damage or your assassinate damage +200. Maybe add a body carrier and be 4 build a buy with the extra damage. I know that maybe boring to some, but just more burst damage that is competitive with eviscerate and less likely to be defended would be nice. It feels super bad to do a assassinate/doomblow to have it cloaked.

Or if you want to get super spicy, Make it just add a Vengence carrier and do your assassinate damage...

Still plenty of Elementals with immunity to Paralysis in their cards, which is super annoying.

I think with 2 top end spells like Paralysis and Doom, if they don't have Resist, Dodge or Phases, that'll be a rare sight. I'm goin to prep 6 dooms this upcoming event and see what sticks or doesn't.

Hilariously, that’s pretty much why I went from earth Templar to scout in the last changeover and then from scout to earth spellsword in this one.

Your just lazy and want to spell strike your colum.

It’s no longer a want. It just is.

But also the not dying thing.

And with the change to incants, spellstrikes are the only way I would ever be a caster again, short of just buying enough formal to “magic” my whole column... which was an option I considered.

Life spells keep you from avoiding the circle.

Only other people’s. They are notoriously unreliable.

And on that note, my wife does not read the boards. Lol

I think with 2 top end spells like Paralysis and Doom, if they don't have Resist, Dodge or Phases, that'll be a rare sight. I'm goin to prep 6 dooms this upcoming event and see what sticks or doesn't.

Don’t forget to prep 6 Powerful Meditations. The way I see it, PM guarantees I will stick X spells per LP.

I figure that one day, I’m going to just burn all my HM on PM and keep tossing Dooms until someone pulls me aside and asks me how I tossed 30 in a fight. >.>

Right, good call! I will make sure I have those ready for the occasion.

I was referring to, if you memorize life spells, you get lifed because you life the ones with the life spells first. Poor Naomi . I'd have to hit Mathis first.

At least Rebirth got “cheaper” for Scholars (16 XP per LP instead of 15 XP for once-per-weekend and a 5 XP spell per LP) if you don’t factor the Formal Magic part.

Back