Town Box Update

Zihr

Artisan
Friends ... I can't thank you all enough for your generosity during the Town Box auction, both donating items and bidding on them. Very special thanks to Matron Locke and the rest of the organizers.

The box had 6 gold 8 silver, some assorted production, and scrolls coming into our market day. Now we have quite a bit more - 108 gold, 50 cure light potions (donated by Squire Bruisey), 10 cure disease potions (sold at production cost by the Gruntled One, Gertrude), and shields and longswords (donated by our comrades from Wayside).

Next Market Day I'd like to get together with Zen for a complete accounting (and hopefully someone who can read magic scrolls ... ). We were to do so at the end of this gathering but time slipped away from us. I'd like to do so every time we're together if possible.

I intend to keep stocking the box with curatives and will when possible use local production. Any adventurer who does not have the means to get a potion or spell will be taken care of. For example, if Jamina asked for a Cure 5 Wounds potion ... probably not. But if Edryn, Kierann, or Artemis Wolf (again, as an example) needed a Cure Disease after unwisely digging around in some undead remains (gross), they will be helped. Likely scolded and perhaps made to do dishes in Countess Colfield's kitchen, but helped. Does anyone have suggestions or comments on this policy?

Thank you all for your trust in me to keep the box safe.

Zihr of House Husky
Squire to Baron Marciano Gibbs of the Eastern Territories

Excellent to hear that the funding projection went swimmingly, and excellent to hear you were Squired, Zihr! I look forward to seeing what you bring to the table as a Squire.

A comment on your box policy: Is it reasonable to assume that funds from the Town Box could be appropriately granted to someone to compensate for the costs of such things as ritual scrolls/reagents expended for the town's benefit? For example, if the town needs a Vision scroll cast and I put forth the scroll and components for the casting from my personal supplies, am I able to request funds from the Town Box to compensate me for an agreed-upon value of my scroll and reagents?

May your Words have Power and your Memories be Knowledge,
~ Gandian Ravenscroft

The Company was happy to donate the 8 longsword and shields. Congrats on a highly successful fundraiser!

A comment on your box policy: Is it reasonable to assume that funds from the Town Box could be appropriately granted to someone to compensate for the costs of such things as ritual scrolls/reagents expended for the town's benefit? For example, if the town needs a Vision scroll cast and I put forth the scroll and components for the casting from my personal supplies, am I able to request funds from the Town Box to compensate me for an agreed-upon value of my scroll and reagents?

Excellent question, Magus Gandian, thank you for asking. Yes, absolutely request and expect payment as long as it was agreed upon before the casting (in this example) was done. Emphasis on the agreed upon before the action took place.

I'm certain this will raise another question - who can authorize funds from the Town Box. Does it seem fair to the adventuring community to require a majority agreement between Squire Bruisey, Zen Mallowbrooks, and myself?

Zihr of House Husky

I personally trust all 3 of you, Squire Bruisey, and Zen and think it would be a great plan. But definitely feel like that would be a great idea to have the town fully approve at a town tea so we can all have a confirmation.

Along with this I know I have a few long hammers, maces and other miscellaneous weapons, scroll, potions, ect. That I will also be bringing to donate to the town box as I sort through my supplies.

-Lieutenant Roff Alloutte Rallentine Starshine ze Rycha Voda

I want to be clear that I would not make a decision regarding the town box for myself, regardless of the circumstances. I will always seek others opinions before such decisions but I do believe that it is still important to give the final authority to someone to make the decision. Just be sure that whoever we decide to give that power to will make decisions to mirror the will of the adventuring community.

Zen Mallowbrooks

If I may make a suggestion that every gathering there be made a current inventory of what is in the town box for all to see, it would help us point those in need to the box and also help others to know what we need to replenish as well. If we run low, it's best the town knows so that we can resupply before it becomes an issue.

~Locke

I have a pretty wide selection of weapons that I don't use that I'd be willing to donate.

I'd like to make a point that IF AND ONLY IF the rare event that there is none of a certain type of weapon in town currently produced and current town production is exhausted occurs, the box should be seen as a valid fallback option for all in the interest of keeping as many armed as possible. I realize this is a Absolute Worst Case Scenario option, and like Zihr said, you'll probably be told to replace the weapon borrowed at a later time when blacksmithing is available and go wash dishes, but it seems like it'd be a good fallback option in case of things like blade eaters, shatter spells, or monstrous beings capable of dissolving blades. I remember a market day a few years ago where as an established adventurer I struggled to replace a blade and had to use a dagger in its place (long before I gained proficiency with my beautiful longbow) and Urt went through three or four different polearms including his backup throughout the weekend and continually arming him was a necessity to hold the line that market day.

Additionally, I believe passing a motion on it at town tea is an excellent idea, mostly so it gets maximum voting exposure as Roff said. That being said, hopefully there won't be any urgent mages guild interruptions this time.

-Auryn Fairhorn

Perhaps we could commission such stockpile of weapons be put into the box by our 3 resident master Smiths?

Say 2 of each type to start, along with at least 1 suitor 25, 30,35,40,45 suit of armor.

Cass

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I don't think we should chide someone for asking for help from the town box or we'll end up with people who are too embarrassed to ask in the first place. Putting in place the request to replace the items taken out of the box is a good idea though. We should have an established understanding that the box is there to be used, and it's open to everyone who needs it. No questions asked, just replace what you use when you get the opportunity.

~Locke

You make a really good point Locke. I didn't really think of it that way.

Maybe we should make a check in/out book to keep track of things kind of like they do at libraries? I'm unsure as to the practicality of it, but it would serve well as a way to keep track of stuff while holding people accountable.
-Auryn

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I don't think we should chide someone for asking for help from the town box or we'll end up with people who are too embarrassed to ask in the first place. Putting in place the request to replace the items taken out of the box is a good idea though. We should have an established understanding that the box is there to be used, and it's open to everyone who needs it. No questions asked, just replace what you use when you get the opportunity.

~Locke

This does sound like a good idea.
-Auryn

Perhaps we could commission such stockpile of weapons be put into the box by our 3 resident master Smiths?

Say 2 of each type to start, along with at least 1 suitor 25, 30,35,40,45 suit of armor.

Cass

I have a pretty wide selection of weapons that I don't use that I'd be willing to donate.

Additionally, I believe passing a motion on it at town tea is an excellent idea, mostly so it gets maximum voting exposure as Roff said. That being said, hopefully there won't be any urgent mages guild interruptions this time.

-Auryn Fairhorn

Thank you for any donation you make, Auryn, it is appreciated. Would you be willing to work with Zen and Roff on the specifics for the Town Tea Town Box conversation? As I am currently the custodian of the box I would like to NOT be a part of leading the discussion as I feel it would be a conflict of interests.

Cass

Absolutely my plan, Cass. I have prioritized the curatives and want to explore costs with the master smiths, but absolutely my plan. We currently have longswords and shields covered thanks to The Company.

~Locke

Agreed Matron Locke. My comment of scolding and perhaps making them do dishes was more about someone foolishly digging through undead remains than asking for help, apologies for the lack of clarity. Yes, anyone who requires help WILL be helped if we are able.

Zihr of House Husky

Cass at the next market I comen too, vou vould please make 2 of each weapon, armor, ect and put it in box. I vill pay for it all.

Kit

Kit,

I like the idea but the box is more than capable of paying for it. I would rather use the money in it rather than have it sit there.

Zen Mallowbrooks

I would recommend some armor that is less bulky. Perhaps something around the strength to absorb 15 daggers. Many young scholars are still learning their craft and encumbered by heavy armor. Just a helpful thought from a Scholar.

Last edited:
I'll work to get those things ready and drawn up. I do have a few smaller suits of armor laying around, so that can be used as well.

Cass

A full earth celestial and Alchemy books should be stocked, I have a full set to copy from and the box can pay for the ink.

Also perhaps an agreement to purchase mostly useless/ situational scrolls like Forsee the weather, March of the untiring. As well as a reward for turning in necromancy for safe desposal.
To me 2 gold for unwanted scrolls, production cost for necro potions, and a sliding scale of 1-10 gold for necro scrolls and items seems reasonable.

And next year when funds are low we do another silent auction.
- Gertude the Gruntuled

I have an extra alchemy book that I can donate to the box. I'd rather have other people use it than have it gather dust.

Zen Mallowbrooks

Back