Town name ideas

Hello All.
I like the name Mara's Glen.
I know i'm new to the area.
And i didn't know Mara very well or for very long.
But from just watching how she lived and also how she effected others.
She was an example to others and made them better.
And went with newer warriors to protect and help them.
She was a fantastic warrior but an even better person.
She may not have wanted to be the center of attention.
But maybe by naming the town after her it will become a rallying point for everyone.
Maybe the farmers and other people living in the area will know that someone will be there to look out for them. And for any new adventurers that may come will know the legacy she gave us all.

Crow.

I don't tink she would 'ave named a place after herself..... if you want to properly represent what she would have done..... den name it what she would have named it.... and dat was Hope's Reach, yes? Deh idea iz to inspire de people in deh area to rise up and fight.

Deh highest honor for deh dead is not to have a chunk of land named after dem, it is most certainly dat dere wishes was respected. One of her wishes was to not name de land after one of us adventurers, and dis is what you are proposing. I would ne'er have land named after mine self even if i were dead. To me it makes deh final rest with Fortanis much less restful.

Sparrow, watcher of spirits passed on.

Ze suggestion to name ze town Mara's Glen vas made by Tazoulti on ze market day after Mara was killed. Dose of us in ze group with Tazoulti liked ze idea, and McGregor quickly passed ze idea on to our other friends at ze market dat day. If I remember correctly, zere ver just about 'alf ze number of people at zis market day as zere ver at ze one last month. Zat means zat 11 people agreed zat this name vas a good idea.

Ve also 'ad one vote vor Free Beer City.

I zink zat Mara would appreciate ze honor being given 'er and I believe zat her spirit vill guide us as ve vork toward ze future.

Zis is a fitting tribute to our fallen friend.

Jamina

You people need a hobby, why not take up cheesemaking or some such instead of debating over what to call a "chunk of land!"

At least we have made some progress, the town is to be named either "Hope's Reach", "Mara's Glen", or "McGregor's Wrath."

Unfortunately, the last choice would not be good for business as no one would come and patronize the Falcon's Roost.

Hope's Reach was the original suggestion before a series of unfortunate events occurred several days ago resulting in the final passing of the honorable Mara Glenbeck. <significant pause>

Mara exhibited the pinnacle of what we were trying to accomplish in this region; to preserve the lands from the corrupt, to protect the citizens still remaining and fighting for their homes, to foster peaceful relations with the others that share these lands and oppose the corrupt. Through her skills as a warrior, tactition, diplomat, and servant, she is and was an example to us all. <another significant pause>

She will be missed...<pause again>

The name Mara's Glen was suggested to honor not only the individual Mara Glenbeck, but the ideals she stood for. She made a promise to the people of this region, and so in naming it Mara's Glen we continue and foster this promise.

I am typically not a man of many words, nor I do not expect those of you not present several days ago to understand, but this is why I feel the name Mara's Glen is appropriate.

Regards,

McGregor
Proprietor of the Falcon's Roost

I don't know how long it will be before I am able to return through the mists, so take my words with a grain of salt. But Mara was one of the first adventures I met when I started adventuring in various continents. She was helpful and thoughtful, I am sorry to hear of her passing. However I would believe it to be an honorable choice to name the town she died defending after her.

May the stars shine on your path,
~Mage Eldarion Avari

I see dat you were don't listening to Mara.... She wanted dis not named after an adventurer. It matters not if dis adventurer be live or passed... she was against it. A valiant warrior, yes, a kind individual, yes, a fighter to de end, yes... conceded.... no. I am telling all you folk... Mara suggested a name, why not respect those wishes of her. We can erect a memorial, and let tht become de memorial of deh fallen... I'm sure she won't be deh only one.

If we choose deh name based on who died, vill it change everytime some one leaves dis world? De spirits cannot rest with de notion of dere death becoming meaningless with a name. Years down deh road when we are all passed, who will know who died here? I don't believe a legacy vill live on by only a town name. Dis is what Mara meant. It must be sumting that people who travel in recognize deh meaning just by hearing its name... If no one knows Mara den her memory dies with us.

De original Idea was thus, name it someting inpiring to deh people and country.

Hope's Reach is what she wanted because it is a name dat can stick, dat will ring true for anyone here villing to fight and anyone who comes here to fight. It inspires deh mind into tinking dat the people here won't back down and roll over. Dis is no peacful place. A glen is a place of peace and contemplation. Mara would never have called dis place peaceful while she were fighting vat is out dere.

Tink about dis... reasonably. Instead of with greif stricken minds. We will ALL miss her... even dose of us who only met her two or tree times... but let us tink about vat she SAID and not dat she died. Also, it vould be better if deh entire town got to decide.... not half of it, one half does not make whole. Tink about dat as well.

Sparrow

I think it's somewhat insulting that people who barely knew Mara are trying to speak of what she might or might not want as if they knew her.

I knew Mara, taught Mara, learned from Mara, found myself saved from blade and spell more often than I can count by Mara, and as a person who pulled Mara's Spirit through the Circle on several occasions, hoping each time would be the last time I'd have to meet her there -- breathing silent wishes that her Spirit would be strong enough, that my story would be good enough to bring her home to us -- and that she'd live to see a time safe enough that she could live to be an old, wizened soldier, regailing village children with tales of battles she'd seen, heroes she'd fought alongside -- my heart is broken by this news.

I am sorry I wasn't there for you this time Mara. I am sorry your Spirit could not find its way back to us.

But my own tears aside, I think this is a silly argument. Most of you didn't know Mara well -- so it's silly of you to try and guess what you think she'd want. How can you know?

I knew Mara very well, and I do not know that I can say with any more certainty than most what I think she'd want, given the current situation, and everyone's arguments considered. Your impressions of what she may or may not have wanted are just that -- impressions. You have to consider them based on any number of factors, and even then they're just guesses. Educated or otherwise.

I do think, however, that she'd have been very touched to see how much she meant to people, even in the short times she knew them.

So consider not Mara -- but what you want. What you think is best. If you cared for Mara enough to name the town for her -- then do so. I think it's a lovely idea, and a good homage to an adventurer who helped found the town itself with her blade, heart, and determination. If you don't want to do that, then don't -- but don't pretend it's because you don't think Mara would want it. You don't know what she'd want. Once the town is named, it will be named -- put on to maps and onto the tongues of every child, farmhand, wandering merchant, and anyone else who has reason to know where the patch of land that was once Fort Miller is located, and what became of it.

I think regardless of what the decision is, some things are immutable - a good and gallant woman and friend is gone forever, having died in battle -- which is how most of our lot find themselves at the end. I think this no less sad, but somehow fitting for a woman who lived by the ideals of the soldier. Given the myriad of ways one can meet the end -- I think this is one of the few that suited her best. Did her the most justice.

Who was there with her at the end? Both on the field, and then finally in the circle. I would like to know the entire story. Where was her body buried? Please send me a pigeon, and let me know.

How about a little bit of both ideas. Like "Mara's Hope". I mean, it's what she was talking about, but it lets us remember her heroism. Heroes are good to have, all the best stories have 'em. Would that work?

Hef

I knew Mara for a short time but, I do no think that she would have wanted Mara’s Hope. I say Abandon Hope and Fear. Life for many is a constant change between hope and fear. Exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. We all want to be part of solution and we dive head long into despair at the enormity of those challenges and the fear that or efforts will fail.

And so we jump between fear and hope, it is unavoidable. Fear is the necessary of felling hope again. They are not opposites but the same. One fruit not two separate pieces. And since they are the same if you hope to accomplish something, you are also afraid that you will fail. You can no have one with out the other.

Hope is what makes us take action, it makes us dream. We then plan and work out details to make that dream real. But, then we think,”What happens if I fail?” That is fear. Motivated by hope and then opposed by fear be become depressed. Hope does not inspire instead it is a heavy stone weighting us down by its other half fear of failing.

So we must abandon hope and fear and find the place beyond hope and fear. When that happens you are grounded and know that nothing remains the same, living with the knowledge that change is constant; as the day sun sets and night rises. Good does not last forever and Evil does not last forever. That is just the way it is.

We need to honor her memory in our actions, not some name.

Quetzalli

I still think Quilly is a good name *scuffs the ground*. It's pretty, nice and short. Easy to remember *folds arms and pouts* and it's PRETTY!!!!!

Quilly

Oh, to be innocent and blissful like a child..... such tings are vhat we need sometimes in moments like dees.

Overall, Quetzalli has a point, and I agree.

Sparrow

Thank you all for your input. Your ideas were lengthy and clearly thought out. We will be announcing the name of the town shortly.

Regards,

McGregor
Proprietor of the Falcon's Roost
Mara's Glen

Eef you are to vote on it... vouldn't it not be better is everyone made de desicion and voted on it? Dis annoucing shortly does not give everyone de chance to vote, it only sound like you make deh desicion for us. Input or not it is someting dat needs to be decided at de gathering vith vote.

Dis is no time for leaving people out.

Sparrow

Back