Transferring from a NERO chapter

ChrisB

I've just recently gotten back into LARPing and used to LARP in the MA chapter of NERO (Ravenholt). If I want to play in the Oregon chapter, is my old character transferable from Ravenholt? It's been over 10 years since I played him and I imagine skills have changed. Is a rebuild possible if the character is transferable? Thanks in advance.

If it was pre-split...they may have in the HQ (ashbury) Database...but you would need to contact the HQ logistics members to see if you are in their DB

Fortunately for you, the Oregon chapter has recently experienced a sizable influx of new players, so we have a much lower APL than we used to (average player level). There's a good-sized group of low levels in town, so a new character won't feel out of place.

Wow, that's too bad. I didn't realize these two organizations were that different. I must really be out of the political LARP loop. I thought this was the essentially the same game. I'm not interested in starting from scratch. Oh well.

To be fair, the games have evolved to be fairly distinct. Alliance has whole hosts of new skills, three additional classes, new spells, etc. While the underlying mechanics are still pretty much identical, the meat of the game is pretty different.

You could always join Oregon's NPC guild and work to getting your character back to where you left off with him ten years ago, though, if for some reason the old one isn't on the books anywhere. :D

jpariury said:
To be fair, the games have evolved to be fairly distinct. Alliance has whole hosts of new skills, three additional classes, new spells, etc. While the underlying mechanics are still pretty much identical, the meat of the game is pretty different.

You could always join Oregon's NPC guild and work to getting your character back to where you left off with him ten years ago, though, if for some reason the old one isn't on the books anywhere. :D

I'm almost positive he's still in their database. I still have many connections back at the old game and I think I even have a profile on their PC IC database.

I also read up on the split and spoke to some friends who are 'plugged in' and go back to NERO's roots. I understand that you guys don't want people coming in with huge sheets, but my toon was an 11th level Stone Elf. Nothing crazy.

If I can get an official sheet emailed over from NERO, Massachusetts, will it be transferable? As I said, he's a whopping 11th level if I remember correctly and has nary a magical item. If not, I understand.

Thanks.

ChrisB said:
jpariury said:

I'm almost positive he's still in their database. I still have many connections back at the old game and I think I even have a profile on their PC IC database.

I also read up on the split and spoke to some friends who are 'plugged in' and go back to NERO's roots. I understand that you guys don't want people coming in with huge sheets, but my toon was an 11th level Stone Elf. Nothing crazy.

If I can get an official sheet emailed over from NERO, Massachusetts, will it be transferable? As I said, he's a whopping 11th level if I remember correctly and has nary a magical item. If not, I understand.

Thanks.

No, sorry. If we make exceptions, it opens a floodgate we don't want. And the game really has changed over the years; you can't transfer in a character from NERO any more than you can play your World of Warcraft character in Dragon Age.

But realize, as was pointed out here, that the game is a lot lower level than Ravenholt probably ever was. Starting over again at 1st won't make you have to sit on the sidelines doing nothing.

Check us out; the game isn't just about levels and stuff. I'm pretty sure you'd have a good time!

Fearless Leader said:
ChrisB said:
jpariury said:

Thanks.

No, sorry. If we make exceptions, it opens a floodgate we don't want. And the game really has changed over the years; you can't transfer in a character from NERO any more than you can play your World of Warcraft character in Dragon Age.

But realize, as was pointed out here, that the game is a lot lower level than Ravenholt probably ever was. Starting over again at 1st won't make you have to sit on the sidelines doing nothing.

Check us out; the game isn't just about levels and stuff. I'm pretty sure you'd have a good time!

wait a sec... if he has a character in a database that is pre-split.... why could he not use it? isn't that same thing as a really old Ashbury player coming to us and asking us to find his old character in the filemaker database and transfer it or whatever? am i reading this wrong?

Robb Graves said:
wait a sec... if he has a character in a database that is pre-split.... why could he not use it? isn't that same thing as a really old Ashbury player coming to us and asking us to find his old character in the filemaker database and transfer it or whatever? am i reading this wrong?

It'd be akin to me going "Hey, I have a character from the original Ashbury campaign, prior to yours- the original NERO-NJ. Why can't I play him in an Alliance game?".

Neither game has been or will be part of the Alliance, so why would it be legal to transfer those characters in?

(Heck, I've played in every incarnation of Ashbury that's existed to date, which has to be a record- the original, this one, and what started life as ET-13... :p )

Robb Graves said:

I think you're reading this wrong (or I am). I thought he said he had a character in the Ravenholt database, not the Ashbury one.

Yeah, the character has to be in the old database that Mike can look up and verify. He only has access to the old NERO Ashbury database. I was just lucky that Nigel went out there to play one game pre-split. :D

Taking a risk as a new player posting in the veteran's thread.
ChrisB said:
Wow, that's too bad ... I'm not interested in starting from scratch. Oh well.
My humble opinion: Level 11 is not very high. I started playing this season and I just reached level 6 before our August game last weekend and I have only played in this one chapter. So I would expect to be level 11 at some point mid-late next season. That's less than two seasons to get back to where you were.

I also play in a newer, low-level friendly chapter (SoMN) and I have never felt useless as a character. On the same note, I have seen a newer players take on the big bad NPC and win multiple times. Levels truly are out-of-game and should not so drastically effect your experience of the game to the point where you don't want to play unless you get to be "more powerful" (even though that's purely relative- which is one the beauties of this game). This all sounds like the worst side of power-gaming and a bit whiny, only overshadowed by those who complain about not getting enough loot because they feel their character did more so they deserve more.

Get back in the game because you love the experience of it, not because you swing a little extra damage or know a few more spells.

Alright, that's my two coppers, so back to the newbie threads I go.

It does seem weird that we wouldn't allow a character whose progression stopped prior to the split to transfer in, though. I can see arguments about not allowing someone who continued to gain build after the split, but disallowing a character who has not changed since then simply because he hadn't attended one or two particular chapters seems wrong in some way.

OrcFighterFTW said:
Taking a risk as a new player posting in the veteran's thread.
ChrisB said:
Wow, that's too bad ... I'm not interested in starting from scratch. Oh well.
My humble opinion: Level 11 is not very high. I started playing this season and I just reached level 6 before our August game last weekend and I have only played in this one chapter. So I would expect to be level 11 at some point mid-late next season. That's less than two seasons to get back to where you were.

I also play in a newer, low-level friendly chapter (SoMN) and I have never felt useless as a character. On the same note, I have seen a newer players take on the big bad NPC and win multiple times. Levels truly are out-of-game and should not so drastically effect your experience of the game to the point where you don't want to play unless you get to be "more powerful" (even though that's purely relative- which is one the beauties of this game). This all sounds like the worst side of power-gaming and a bit whiny, only overshadowed by those who complain about not getting enough loot because they feel their character did more so they deserve more.

Get back in the game because you love the experience of it, not because you swing a little extra damage or know a few more spells.

Alright, that's my two coppers, so back to the newbie threads I go.

There's a little bit more judgement and accusation/assumption in your post than I think is fair and a lot more than I appreciate. This is the single character I have ever played in NERO and I enjoyed him quite a bit. He dates back to the home chapter in Massachusetts, when there was only one chapter and has a huge history and background. I played this guy alongside 30th level toons regularly... It wasn't about the extra few spells or abilities or feeling like a badass. This is about time spent. I'm a professional with a busy life and I don't have the time I had 15 years ago when I started this character to just level him up to get back to where I was. The skills I had did really help define the character. He was spread out pretty wide and had a very large range of skills. It wasn't about power, it was about utility and identity. I don't want to play this guy and feel like a farmer with 2 weapons again. Been there, done that and I don't really want to do it again in a NERO style game.

I am fully capable of having fun with a level 1 character. I've played MANY LARPS in my 20 years of LARPing and can deal with starting from scratch again. I'm just choosing not to do that if I don't have to. I'm not whining. I had asked a question and got some different answers. Many responses from players and even chapter owners feel I didn't name call, I didn't criticize the system and I've not passed any judgement. If you think this sounds like 'the worst side of power-gaming', then you haven't gamed much. I'm looking to get an 11th level character transferred that I payed, played and built up by attending events. I didn't know there was a huge rift between NERO and the Alliance. On Shade's LARP page, it was listed as 'NERO Oregon Alliance'. I think it's a fair assumption that my character would be transferrable.

Chris,
Hopefully, welcome! I certainly hope you decide to come in and play with us, always nice to have new players, especially one who's *ahem* more life experienced than a lot of these other whipper snappers. While I also encourage my fellow players here at Alliance to temper their tones in situations like these, there are a few things that I'd like for you to also take into account when we say that we don't allow characters to transfer in from other systems:
-We try to run a professional organization. One of the key things that this requires is a standard of quality. We guarantee an even playing field for our players (as much as possible anyway) so that if you come in and play ten events, you'll have the same amount of XP as someone else with the same dedication. If we let games which may have differing levels of XP rewards for their games bring in characters and make them equivolent in our game, that takes away from that promise we make to our players.
-There was a time when pre-split characters were allowed to transfer in to the game, and I believe that some post-split ones got in in the first year or two as well but I may be off on that, but it has been 12 years now. Any other company(s) which have similar situations have expiration periods in which you can transfer you benefits from one to the other. It's just been too long.
-There are ways in the system in which you could help boost yourself up from first level even before coming into game; if you make donations to chapters within the Alliance, you are awarded points which you can spend to "buy back" events you may have missed recently and get XP as though you had played at them. I believe the window for that is three months, but if you look at our schedule of events, we're in the heart of the season. A couple of donations to two or three key chapters and you could easily be looking at starting at 5th level. Continue that trend and by start of next season you could be back up into that range you were at before!

As to the tone of some people's responses, please keep in mind you are not the first person to make this request. We get people asking this sort of question quite frequently, and a lot of them are not nearly as eloquent or nice about it as you have been. It's unfortunate, but as human nature shows, a lot of the time the tenth person in line gets the pent up agravation from the previous nine customers at the checkout if you catch my drift.

Oregon is a great game, and they have a fantastic player community which is shared with Seattle quite a lot. I highly encourage you to get in contact with their staff/ownership directly and see if they can help you to find a way to get you happy with coming back into the game. Good luck!

Jeff Rainville
long time ex-Oregon player, and former Oregon player rep (if you couldn't tell)

Fearless Leader said:
Robb Graves said:

I think you're reading this wrong (or I am). I thought he said he had a character in the Ravenholt database, not the Ashbury one.

You are right Mike...he did say Ravenholt..but he played pre-split...so I think some might think that you (HQ) may have his character in the OLD data base...????

Matt K.

MKing said:
Fearless Leader said:
Robb Graves said:

You are right Mike...he did say Ravenholt..but he played pre-split...so I think some might think that you (HQ) may have his character in the OLD data base...????

Matt K.

Actually when we began Ashbury in 93, we didn't allow any transfers in from any other NERO chapter. Later we did for a short period. This proved to be a problem, because Joe Valenti would send fake character cards to us from people in his chapter, so they could be much higher level than they really were. He also allowed players to buy XP with real money so that some newbie could come into his game at high level. Because of these kinds of abuses, we stopped taking transfers again -- which also happened to be around the same time we broke away and cut off all transfers again (in 97).

So unless he played in Ashbury during that short period, there's no way we can accept his character.

Hmmm..I started playing a few years back in Alliance...and I had a character in the your DB from presplit around 92 I thought...so I guess I lucked out on that!! :D

Fearless Leader said:
He also allowed players to buy XP with real money so that some newbie could come into his game at high level.

Sorry about the tagent. How is that different from Pay-no-playing or goblin stamping events? Other then NERO allowed them to go further back then 3 months or whatever the limit is.

-Joe

Back