v0.10 - Poll - Perception of class value

If 0.10 were to go live today....

• I currently do not play a Celestial Scholar, and I would start playing one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I currently do not play a Fighter, and I would switch a character to one.

• I currently do not play a Fighter, and I would start playing one.

• I currently do not play a Rogue, and I would start playing one.

• I currently do not play an Earth Scholar, and I would start playing one.

• Total voters
My main is a Earth Templar and would stay but my Alt is a Kin Fighter and will either be going C Templar or Scout.

Did someone say 60 Cloaks?

As a fighter, I believe we both know I can only count to five, and very occasionally a hundred, once.

As a fighter, I believe we both know I can only count to five, and very occasionally a hundred, once.

And sometimes coach others through counting to 90 in multiples of 5. ;,|

If anything, day one of this poll seems to indicate that Rogues and Fighters do not generally appeal to the people participating on the forums, and one of the few people who said he'd play a Rogue was driven by a desire to make it work despite how bad it looks (which I respect as a gamer, but I feel the reasoning is pretty important).

Also should be noted that the single fighter vote is explicitly for RP reasons and is staying a despite the new rules rather than because of the new rules.

If anything, day one of this poll seems to indicate that Rogues and Fighters do not generally appeal to the people participating on the forums, and one of the few people who said he'd play a Rogue was driven by a desire to make it work despite how bad it looks (which I respect as a gamer, but I feel the reasoning is pretty important).

That's what I've been doing since the last time I took a break, and suffice it to say I've spent the last year and a half assembling a Spirit Forge set to get out of it. :)

Currently play a rogue, and have a fighter that I played 2 games in an alt campaign that has been getting the random blanket tossed on him. Probably won't keep either as-is. Considering scout as one for a group's tank, and then a templar or full scholar for the other. Which goes which probably depends on what others do in my main's group.

Last edited:
I currently play a rogue, and I intend to keep him as a rogue when whatever rules come out. Simply put, I think the rogue game is fun, and I don't need 30+ Cloaks to have fun (heck, I've only ever used all 4 of my Dodges for the day once). My rogue is fundamentally a character with no interest in using/accumulating magic items (nothing but a 1/day Item Recall on his Arcane Armor and a single Indestructible short mace), so I don't get screwed over by any MI changes that might be affecting others folks. I don't use alchemy or traps either, meaning I miss out on that stuff too, but I can't say that I'm devastated by that. And hey, I can always pick those up if they start looking fun.

I also currently play an 8-column, 30-formal Celestial scholar with a ton of magic items and sufficiently strong wand charges to do a lot of damage each day, though I'm not certain how often I would play him by the time these rules come out.

I like having to move around and use some strategy to catch folks off-guard rather than just wading straightforwardly into every fight, which gets repetitive for me. I like swinging more damage than fighters. I like when I have to put some thought and tricks into play when I have to fight someone head-on. I like having a few easy outs ("Dodge!") if I need them. I like non-PTD-telegraphed Assassinates and Terminates. I like not always being expected to be at the front line in a battle. I like cheaper-than-for-fighters access to magical skills for some reason. Simply put, I like playing a rogue because of the things rogues do.

Your mileage may vary, but I think rogue PCs are fun. :)

I like having to move around and use some strategy to catch folks off-guard rather than just wading straightforwardly into every fight, which gets repetitive for me. I like swinging more damage than fighters. I like when I have to put some thought and tricks into play when I have to fight someone head-on. I like having a few easy outs ("Dodge!") if I need them. I like non-PTD-telegraphed Assassinates and Terminates. I like not always being expected to be at the front line in a battle. I like cheaper-than-for-fighters access to magical skills for some reason. Simply put, I like playing a rogue because of the things rogues do.

How do you feel the .10 has improved any of these things you have described?

I don't necessarily. In fact, I'm generally opposed to a whole lot of the new rules stuff. But new rules or current, the same sort of stuff I like about rogues still applies to them in pretty much the same ways, so I don't see a reason to change away from playing one. My enjoyment for the class comes from the playstyle, not the rules minutiae involved. Thus, if .10 were to go live right now (as asked by the poll), I would keep my rogue a rogue.

I think that's the main part of our difference in experience in how Rogue plays, despite playing in the same chapters. I made the mistake of buying into Ledgerdemain, traps, and a bit of alchemy. :) Combat rouging is fun, albeit frustrating from time to time. The .10 rules as published, however, lead me to believe that most of what's fun about it isn't going to be workable anymore, due to simple lack of damage.

Man, y'all seem bent on telling me I can't play a rogue. :p If you're trying to get me to say "fine, I'll go Celestial scholar like all the rules want me to," I remind you that I already have a character like that, and I don't need two of the same. ;)

Y'all constantly talk about how Fighters are awful in the new game, but keep pressing on me when I want to play a martial class that isn't a Fighter. :p

(In case it was not apparent, the above post was made with a light-hearted demeanor, not as a disgruntled retort.)

Man, y'all seem bent on telling me I can't play a rogue. :p If you're trying to get me to say "fine, I'll go Celestial scholar like all the rules want me to," I remind you that I already have a character like that, and I don't need two of the same. ;)

Y'all constantly talk about how Fighters are awful in the new game, but keep pressing on me when I want to play a martial class that isn't a Fighter. :p

(In case it was not apparent, the above post was made with a light-hearted demeanor, not as a disgruntled retort.)

You don't wanna play a martial class, I read your post, you wanna play a trickster!

....And Scout's the best class for that!

:D

-

Last edited:
Back