v0.10 Simplicity (With Poll)

Are the 2.0 rules a net gain or loss of Simplicity over the current 1.3 rules?

• They are a net gain in Simplicity.

• They are a net loss in Simplicity.

• They are a wash, niether gaining or lossing Simplicity.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah. They are now the unholy combination of 10 minute and concentration. That is an unpleasant change that I missed at some point.

-MS

-

Last edited:
Guys, if this conversation keeps going this way, we're gonna get Paladinned.

Palapinned?

Paladidn't?

Humor aside, take a breath, y'all. Let's keep it friendly. :)

Palapinned?

Paladidn't?

I tried two pages back, @Draven. Unfortunately, this sort of behavior is a big contributor why people don't want to engage with the process.

Palapinned?

Paladidn't?

The correct terminology is Paladaldineded.

The subject of this thread is Simplicity, so lets keep this thread back to it's original intent. No need to call another person out. If there are back and forth post as such, perhaps keep it to private messaging. There are some good points in this thread, so let's keep the discussion going......about Simplicity.

Thanks!
PoL

I'm pretty awesome, if I do say so myself, at building characters and monsters with the current system... I can say that the .10 rules, like the iterations before, definitely are *not* as simple as the current rules.

The .10 rules are, in my opinion, a net loss for simplicity.

I see the following issues with complexity:

The lack of drawn out verbals and the lack of player skill required to do the tap sequences on shield and weapon users on the front line is going to make combat into a line of yo-yo's. This causes issues from player satisfaction and health. Remember you have to measure against a wet muddy rocky field and how this yo-yo sequence will play out.

This idea of allowing the elemental flavor of any of the evocation spells to be arbitrary is just about a wash.

Meditate and Mettle: Here we get into the train wreck. First off as an attacker I'll just wait for some fool to use mettle and then use the slay/eviscerate when they cannot block at all. It is practically a self inflicted takeout. It sounds great, especially if you want to fabricate reasons for game play to stop as a means to slowing down combat....but taking people out of play entirely to use either of these skills is a bad thing in my opinion. I am thinking of all those occasions I am not on a line with 10-15 other front liners. There are also going to be more holds as the lunging to make sure your PTD skills land will become more and more prevalent...especially at lower level. Again, you are telling people to be sure you hit, or go take a time out.

Purchase of skills is just flat out more complex given the weird relations ships of this skill being <type x> and needing so much build spent in such category to buy a skill from that set.

Evade introduces for math. More math is more complexity. Simple assessment.

The biggest complexity of course comes from having to try and stat for these new ways of doing damage. I really wonder how the conversations on the intent and anticipated effects of these changes went. I must say I find the assertion that this was meant to simplify the game as a whole to be hard to believe.

Joe Siegel

Back