Vader vs Yoda

Vader vs Yoda

• Vader

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Yoda

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters

Muggins

After a rather back and forth discussion of important Star Wars related topics, I came upon this argument which I just cannot let die.
If Yoda and Vader were to have fought, who would have won? Please settle this argument for me and please submit reasons for your answer.

May the Geek be with you!

Unfortunately for the light side of the force, I have to go with Vader.

Vader defeated Dooku and the Emperor, two opponents Yoda could not defeat himself. Vader was a skilled warrior who defeated many Jedi in combat and though Obi-Wan wounded him greatly; he overcame his wounds with Emperor's help and killed Obi-Wan (sorry but we all saw how poorly Obi-Wan was fighting at that point) some years later.

Vader was a skilled pilot, an excellent warrior and the strongest wielder of the force the galaxy he had ever known. He commanded millions of stormtroopers and fleets of Star Destroyers. Yoda was a skilled diplomat, consular and way wiser than Vader but this is a test of battle not brains. In the end Yoda's defeat of a couple of clone troopers hardly makes him Vader's equal.

About the only person who defeated Vader was his son which is like the Achilles heel to my argument but by that time Yoda was already dead and therefore couldn't defeat Luke either.

What up Tedd, glad the force is with you again my friend.

I would have to go with Yoda on this one. His mastery of the Force and his skills with a Lightsabre would overwhelm the dark lord of the sith. Vader is handicapped by his lack of mobility in this bout. I think the biggest challenge for Yoda to overcome is the sheer number of objects Vader is able to manipulate simultaneously using the Force.

I think it would be a better fight than most people might imagine. When most people think of Vader the fighter they think of his duels with Luke. He was slow and hacked away like a drunken lumberjack. When I think of Vader I think of the Force Unleashed video game now. I think of this stupid strong Sith who can knock over gigantic trees and pull ships from the sky on to his foes. His lightsabre skills lack grace and beauty but make up for it with incredible strength.

Yoda, though, would triumph if the timeframe were close enough to the end of Ep III. He was still spry enough to bounce around the senate and dodge Palpatine's lightning attacks. He had to retreat in that fight, but Vader lacks alot of the ability the Emperor has because of his physical handicap.

Geeking out before lunch,

Justin C.

Yo Tedd...I don't know if you've ever heard of it but me and my friends have been playing Star Wars Epic Duels for years.

It's a great game that came out around Ep 2 times. You use attack and defense cards while using dice to move figures around different locales including the throne room.

We have put Vader Vs. Yoda a couple times and the outcome can always be different. We will run this scenario tonight and I shall tell you the outcome.

Justin

Badass muppet FTW.

I voted for Yoda, and my reasoning is that Yoda is the better swordsman, but it is his reverence for life that is seen as weakness by those who voted for the Dark Lord. Yoda harnessed the lightning that Tyranus sent towards him, and battled Sidious all across the Senate. Yoda's biggest downfall is feeling too strongly for his adversaries. I think that they was able to take down the clones because they were nameless automatons, but versus Tyranus, who had once been Yoda's padawan, Yoda has always tries to talk them down and make them see the error of their ways... however the question was merely about who would win in a straight up battle, not the logic behind their fighting, so I personally believe that Yoda would tear into the mechanical Vader like a little green warm knife through hot cyborg durasteel butter. :ugeek:

Seriously? People could actually vote for Yoda in this? Are you all mad?

Unless this battle was prefaced with a time machine that allowed Yoda in his prime (you know, the muppet aptly named not appearing in any movie) then maybe he would have a chance. But it wasn't, and he doesn't.

Fact, in Episode 2 Anakin was "nearly" as good as Yoda. Then he had the Clone Wars and years of Jedi purging to refine his skillset.
Fact, Vader beat Sidious, not Yoda. Yoda got pwned and ran like a bitch.
Fact, Vader has been beat twice. Once by his master when he allowed his ego to get the better of him and once by his son who arguably could have been getting an assist from Sidious. Not actual losses in my book. What did Yoda ever beat? A buncha clones, nothing more.

No really, if Yoda thought he even stood a chance do YOU think he would have hid out in a swamp until he died of old age? Can I get a little reality in this imaginary battle?

--Chazz

I agree with Chazz on everything. Yoda wouldn't be able to touch Vader. Vader proved his worth, Yoda didn't.

chazz, i think its funny you mention madness after Adryan the Mad's post. not sure if it was intentional. but go ahead and take credit any way. =P

Ok, anakin skywalker has to be the single handedly (har har) the most destructive force to hit the star wars world. before dark suit he was a walking killing machine flawless in most ways(save a few social graces from a lack of general interaction but hey that happens when you grow up with droids for friends). he saved obi-wan so many times obi lost count. OBI got lucky. I said it. he got LUCKY! If Anakin wasnt having girl troubles, obi wan was dead. before dark suit he was still strong but fast as well, yoda lose's predark suit. post darksuit he might stand a chance and i say might only cause in his day Yoda was fast. Faster than artificial legs I suppose. assuming vader didn't just choke-a-Bitch.

Yoda is either fast or strong never both. not when it counted.

Neither Yoda nor Obi wan could face Vader again after they had learned he'd survived Mustafar. Why? There was no way either of them could fight him without going over to the Dark side. He had so completely betrayed them both and done such horrible things they both hated him for that, and if they used the force while in that state it'd be Darth Yoda, bitches. I mean, Obi wan could have cut him in half on that last move, but what did he do instead? Crippled him and let him BURN TO DEATH (or so he thought)! Doesn't get much darker than that.
That was the real reason why they didn't tell Luke who his father was, or that Leia was his sister. They needed a jedi with no deep emotional betrayal issues to go after Vader, and no one who had served with Anikan could do that, knowing what he'd done. Luke had to be raised in a vacuum where Vader was just a generic evil that had to be destroyed, nothing personal.

Ok, so I'm a Yoda vote. And for several reasons:

1: Yoda was, by far, the most knowlegable in the force. His ability to teach younglings how to use it just solidifies that fact - any educator will tell you that in order to effectively teach someone, you have to have a greater understanding of the subject.

2: Yoda was not hampered, physically, in the way Vader was. The 'robot suit' destroyed the grace and agility that he once had as a young man.

3: Palpatine was power-hungry, even more-so than Vader himself. He purposely kept Vader underneath him in skill. It was only because Palpatine became over-confident (and admittedly, a bit batty) in the end that Vader was able to defeat him, not because Vader was stronger.

4: Yoda had been fighting Sith for as long as he was a Jedi - he was involved in the last Sith wars, at the very least (and I even made sure - go to starwars.com and hit the archives - it gives character info on Vader and Yoda).

I'm realize they both have faults - Vader and his overconfidence and history to be ruled solely by his emotions, and Yoda and his compassion and his inability to believe that someone can't be turned back to the light. Irregardless, I think Yoda has the upper hand.

jpariury said:
I don't know that that's true. Luke had to deal with his feelings of anger and vengeance for Vader killing Ben.

Think scope, Luke only started getting close to Ben Kenobi a few weeks before he was killed, and then got involved in the Rebellion, so it gets kinda lumped into the "a lot of people I know have been killed in this fight, and I gotta take out this guy to stop it" versus Obi wan having gone to bat for Anikan to even get him to train, treated him like a son, and then watched him slaughter the Jedi Pre-school ward with the lightsaber he probably helped him build. For Yoda, you gotta figure he was the oldest surviving Jedi in the Order at the time, so every active Jedi was either his student or student of a student, etc etc on down the line. Throw in the personal embarassment of having been played by the Emperor, no way does he not want to go all choke-a-bitch on him given the opening.

When I am asked this question, I ask myself "What would Yoda have been like if he turned to the Dark Side?" to kind of put it into an Apples to Apples comparison. Primarily for the reasons Jeff stated.

Which generally leads me to believe that Yoda would end up winning.

Maxondaerth said:
jpariury said:
I don't know that that's true. Luke had to deal with his feelings of anger and vengeance for Vader killing Ben.
Think scope, Luke only started getting close to Ben Kenobi a few weeks before he was killed, and then got involved in the Rebellion, so it gets kinda lumped into the "a lot of people I know have been killed in this fight, and I gotta take out this guy to stop it" versus Obi wan having gone to bat for Anikan to even get him to train, treated him like a son, and then watched him slaughter the Jedi Pre-school ward with the lightsaber he probably helped him build. For Yoda, you gotta figure he was the oldest surviving Jedi in the Order at the time, so every active Jedi was either his student or student of a student, etc etc on down the line. Throw in the personal embarassment of having been played by the Emperor, no way does he not want to go all choke-a-bitch on him given the opening.
I dunno. You're a farm boy from Kansas. You've been raised by your uncle and aunt, and you meet this kooky guy who teaches you to use a crazy light sword. Your aunt and uncle who raised you get killed at the command of this dude in a cape. Then the kindly old dude who taught you religion gets chopped down by the same schmuck. Later, while chillin' on a bridge in the big city, dude comes out and is all "Oh, by the way, I'm your pops... I never really looked for you before, but hey, you're here now, so, uh, wanna get together?" Understandably, you're a bit put off and need a while to take all this in, and so you're like "Nah, I think maybe you're a ****." And so Pops, who killed the only three people in the world who ever gave you a modicum of happiness, proves you right by lopping off your hand and trying to kill you... again. (You know, there was that time you were joyriding in the alleyway near his work, and he tried to blow you up in your ride). But you're like "You know, maybe I need to give him another chance." And what does he do? Arrests you and turns you over to the Cryptkeeper. I'm not thinking you're all butterfly kisses and rainbow farts.

Don't forget that Daddy killed (directly or indirectly) Biggs Darklighter as well, Luke's childhood friend and surrogate older brother.

So the body count for Luke is up to four of Luke's loved ones.

And Vader tortured Leia with that floating black ball of needles and other pointy things and stuffed Han in carbonite (after torturing him with the pressing machine of pointy things).

So to JP's point, Luke was pretty emotionally invested and was surely full of teenager/early twenties angst and emotions too.

I get where people are coming from on the "What is Yoda was evil, and they fought?". By that token, what if Vader turned to the Light? Then they'd duel over some parcheesi and eat crumpets and pudding, and maybe tie ribbons in each other's hair, but that's not the hypothetical posed. I gotta go with Vader.

I'm not denying he did have SOME emo problems there, and look how close he came to going over to the Dark side in that last fight? So, if he being the whiney I'm-just-now-coming-into-my-powers guy almost lost it there, it definitely woulda been harder on those who suffered mightily at his hands.
While I hadn't heard anyone else pose this theory before, this scenario does come up in the later books when someone who is very close to Luke goes Sith and kills someone else very close to him and betrays the order. Luke blames someone else wrongly and kills them out of vengeance and when he realizes what he's done, he then has to send someoen else to take on the now-Sith because he knows, through meditation and Force visions, that if he does it he will become an agent of the dark side. It was after reading this that it occurred to me that this kinda thing would far more explain why Obi-wan and Yoda didn't just team up and punk Vader like six months after the downfall of the order after tracking him down in one of the outlier systems and just double team his asthmatic ***, instead of some of the other "new prophecy" nonsense ones I've heard down through the years.

Let's say for instance, since we're talking crazy talk now, that Mace Windu didn't get chumped in the Senator's office. He would have dropped Yoda and Vader at the same while simultaneously taking a hit from a death stick, slamming it to a twi'lek, and doing 5 knots in a top-down speeder. Hells yeah. However, I did beat Windu with Anakin/Padme in duels last night. So I am kind of invalidating my own crazy talk. Whatever.

Yoda would still win Chazz, I have forseen it. He's quick like a cat man. Like a cat.

yodavader1gz.jpg

Back