Viktor Hook

Do not mistake my pain at the loss of an elder of my race for acceptance or approval of his actions! Nor should you think you alone fight against Terna's destruction. All manner of folk from Wayside, the Northlunds, and the Leaf Crowne have shattered their Spirits on behalf of your nation. I have stood The Wall holding back the hordes. I have fought with Wardancers tree by tree through the blasted capital rescuing and securing survivors. The University welcomed imperials from the first days and has kept its doors open this entire time to soothe their plight and horror. Do not presume to understand what I have witnessed or what I have lost! If we lift this veil of darkness from your lands, you and your people will have the opportunity to return and rebuild. Not all of us were so lucky in having our homelands spared.

Ah, but I have allowed my heart to distemper my words. Forgive me, Guildmaster, for any pain I have caused. You touched wretched sutures in this old elf's past - injuries I thought long scarred over. We will, of course, continue to answer Terna's call to arms and return the Empire to Balance. I look forward to seeing your children and grandchildren flourish and thrive in the green lands to come.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Dramthin,

I apologize if I struck a nerve. The forge fires burn hot sometimes, I will strive to do better. Lady Falling Star sorry for disrupting the flow of information.

Master Firebrand

From my perspective...

A noble house has not been lost or fallen, nor will it for some time.

A once great man fell to hubris, and in true Earth Scholar fashion his fall matched his rise and created as much death as he did life - as they must always find balance. However he has gone to far and requires an outside force to intervine, for the death he has created could be argued to vastly exceed the the life. The guiding force of Stars, the awakening of Dragons, Changing of Planes, shifts in magic and the creatures that bear life from it, the turning of seasons and passage of time...The House of Hook has surviving heir(s) - Victor's chapter is ending, but the Story of Hook is far from over. Forces have simply aligned to turn that wheel in due course, and it seems we are the instrument which will turn the page to the next chapter.

-
SHEN

Greetings and Good Health to you, Lady Fallingstar,

I had the honour of being at your service in our most recent and sudden excursion to the far-off realm of Rathfall across the mists. Thank you for your kindness and guidance as we navigated foreign affairs.

I have only recently arrived to Wayside myself; from whence I came, I know not, but I trust that I am here under benevolent auspices. To that end, I have been doing what I can to bring relief to the common folk who first gave me shelter after I awoke. I understand that much of their suffering has been due to the rippling effects of chaos at work elsewhere, the pinnacle of which appears to be the blight and displacement of Terna. I have pledged myself to the rural families whom I now protect at the small Village of Rosemont Grove, and I understand that their wellbeing will always be compromised as long as undead flow from the fallen empire. Furthermore, I can only imagine what suffering the displaced peoples of Terna must be enduring, having been forced from their homes without recourse. My heart goes out to them, and I feel called to action.

Since arriving at this realization, I have begun aiding others as best I can to undo the evils that plague that part of the continent; most of this has been done at the side and behest of Master Firebrand, one of my first and most loyal friends. Here are some of the plans, shards of information, and resources I can contribute to the effort:

• As a member of the Wayside Earthguild, I am contributing to research to find ways to adapt and apply rites of abjuration and restoration to various scenarios regarding Hook and the Corruption he has spread. More than this I can not say, for we weave our magics behind veils of mystery to make sure that no countermeasures may be forged by the foe, but I encourage you to reach out to guild mistress Eve for any coordinated effort on this front.
  • As a member of the Phoenix Flight Guild, my duty is to weave plans for the common folk after all is said and done. The Ternian Diaspora of those who fled will take years to mend, and there are many who suffer now and have no place to go, and no one to turn to. I am working to secure shelter, food, healthcare, and work for Ternian refugees, especially orphans among the young, and to create an archive of their names, surnames, and stories in hopes of reconnecting them with family and community once peace has been restored to their homeland. I am allied with a number of other resourceful folk who understand how to serve the unfortunate, such as Housefather Grimshaw. Together, I believe we can coordinate enough of a web of support that none will have to go without.
  • Lastly, corruption leaves bitter scars on anything it touches, but that does not mean that this is the end, for we know that rot and refuse can be transformed into rich soil; my own personal magical research is in magics that will purify places once blighted and restore health, fertility, sanctity and serenity to the land itself. My hope is that families may inhabit their old homes and hamlets without fear of being haunted or hunted, and farmlands once despoiled will again bear fruit for the peoples who labor to feed each other.
  • Lastly, I have membership with both the Mistweavers Guild and the Earth’s Chosen of Rathfall. Their city has been studying the blighted lands that encompass them, looking for ways to counter the corruption there. I hope that by sharing mystical wisdom, we may find insights on each others' plights that can be leveraged to greater effect.
These are lofty goals, I know, but slowly but surely, my friends and I have been piecing together the puzzle into actualization. It is my hope that the diligence of simple folk such as me will bear fruit in time. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance beyond what I have described above. You have my thanks for your most esteemed leadership in this challenge.

May Light and Earth be our deliverance and hope in these difficult times.

With deep gratitude,
Madrina Adlao

Last edited:
Good Woman Adlao,

There is much concern for the refugees of the Ternian Empire. I have been tasked with the development of a Colony in Anret. Among the stated goals in it's development is to 'aid in diplomacy and providing a place for more of our lost population to go', the Ternians were specified in the mandate. That is if they want to relocate. I would appreciate any additional help in Anret with the Colony. Please send me a missive at your earliest convenience, and we can discuss this in further detail.

Thank You,
Lady FallingStar

As we quickly approach the culmination of many years of planning and struggle, can we go over the order of operations and who needs to assist with what; one last time? I need to ensure that I have my high magic available to do what need be done. And that my mind and spirit are ready.

Regards,
Lady FallingStar

Can we just get like a summary list of everythin' we've got planned so that everyone knows what's goin' on?

~ Silp

Last edited:
Letter Adlao to Earth Guild regarding Ritual of Woe.jpg

Rustic, bark-wrought tubes bound in jute arrive via courier at the doorstep of the Great Earth Guild of Terna and the Estate of Matron Fallingstar. The courier says it came from Rosemont Grove. Opening it releases the faint fragrance of a bright incense dappled with notes of ginger and roses. Inside is a carefully rolled scroll bearing a simple cream-colored beeswax seal stamped with a heart, penned in a flowing script:

((Transcription))

To my esteemed colleges at the Earth Guild of Terna, Beryl and Eve,
And to Matron Fallingstar, friend of those across Terna who oppose the Tyranny of the Lichlord,

Peace be upon you all! I hope all has been well for each of you. My most recent journey allowed me to visit the Plane of Mirror at the behest of Mary the Pure, an extraplanar being of great power and even greater kindness. I and other adventurers aided her in defeating her Dark Half, and in doing so, hopefully earned yet another ally in our ongoing mission to bring balance and peace to our war-torn lands.

I wish to follow up on my earlier request to lend access and use of one of our Earth Circles at next Market ((11.10/11.11)) to Guild Master Franz Firebrand of Phoenix Flight, an ally of our institution and a good friend of mine. He wishes to cast ritual enchantment, ((Armored Shell)) upon his armor to better protect him in battle, and has the resources to do so safely.

As you know, we are mustering the collective strength of Wayside against the fell foe Victor Hook this coming Market. Phoenix Flight and a coalition of guilds has procured a Scroll for the Ritual of WOE, but we do have enough Formal High Magic to carry out the ritual to its full effect. I humbly beseech our Guild and my Lady both for your beneficent aid in this matter also, for between the Earth Guild’s might and resources of Matron Fallingstar, I am confident we can make the Ritual of Woe yet another advantage against our common undead enemy in the battle to come. Guild Master Franz has the details on the Ritual.

You have my sincere thanks for taking the time to entertain my words. May Light ever shine on us, and Earth open The Way.

With humble deference,
Madrina Adlao- HM, LSW

Greetings All,

I will be obtaining a Ritual of Woe. I do not have the reagents required to cast it at full capacity. .

I do need to know the plan so that I can allocate my high magics to best serve our goals. Without a plan we won't be able to work effectively and thus resources may be wasted. And I am still preparing my spirit and mind for the task at hand. There has not been open conflict between the Seven High Families since the Times of Conflict when Celestines acted as foot soldiers. I assure you, our actions must be precise.

Lady FallingStar

The Hook family has also taken much from this continent. I dont have a great investment to this, but having seen the chaos and misery the Ternian Empire received I dont think redemption is the right word for Victor Hook.

Binks

Sorry I have not had time to comment on here, I have been spending all my time either helping in the fight against the undead or preparing to cast a large ritual.

While some of my family have done great harm, do not think we all have. I have spent more years healing and caring for all the people then you could understand. Please understand, that my family has represented purity in earth magic, and while my Uncle has fallen to Necromancy, some of us continue to remain dedicated to healing and purifying.

Ractor Hook
Eldest Living Hook
Simple Healer

Greetings All,

I will be obtaining a Ritual of Woe. I do not have the reagents required to cast it at full capacity. .

I do need to know the plan so that I can allocate my high magics to best serve our goals. Without a plan we won't be able to work effectively and thus resources may be wasted. And I am still preparing my spirit and mind for the task at hand. There has not been open conflict between the Seven High Families since the Times of Conflict when Celestines acted as foot soldiers. I assure you, our actions must be precise.

Lady FallingStar
Lady FallingStar,

Do you know which reagents are needed for your Ritual? I know that some magics require different reagents at different times of the year. We may not be able to directly contribute with formal studies but we may be able to find a few reagents to ease the burden.

Master Firebrand

Feyander x3
Lodestone x5
Truesilver x3
Jetsam x3
Pyrotis x1

That is what I'll be sending down with Gerty. Hopefully it requires at least 2 of those reagents.

-Asher

Lady FallingStar,

Do you know which reagents are needed for your Ritual? I know that some magics require different reagents at different times of the year. We may not be able to directly contribute with formal studies but we may be able to find a few reagents to ease the burden.

Master Firebrand
Master Firebrand,

As I do not currently have the scroll on my person, I do not know which reagents will be required to cast the ritual.

Lady FallingStar

To those with the plan for the amulet's magic,

Order has informed a few of us of a possible flaw with your plan if the appropriate order is not follow.

1. The name must be found amongst the other lost items that are guarded by Kevin.

2. A poultice made from the slime of a rare fungus must be made.And coat the amulets user.

3. The gift of life must be cast before Viktors demise, but the amulet and its name are not spoken till after his demise. Order of operations matter.

If more clarity is needed please speak with me or the few others that met with the Order.

Aramis Seablade

I have heard from several parties that part of assault on Elder's Hook army will include a complex piece of Ritual Magic designed to break the necromantic shackles he has placed on his prisoners within the Ternian nation. Is this the case? Are we expecting a large portion of the population to be cleansed of their necromantic shroud during this assault?

If that is the case, what preparations are in place to restrain or otherwise mitigate losses to the Ternian people while Wayside forces move into position and complete this strike? Phoenix Flight and the University has seen some success these last few Market Days reducing the number of unnecessary casualties among enslaved folk and I would like to continue this trend.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

Greetings All,

Lady FallingStar
As for the amount of reagents needed;

If my memory from summer is correct from the Weapon of Eratication that GM Kruger provided - he explained that it takes nearly 20 reagents to cast at full power and the gossip'd vampire was not yet known to warrant such a high expense. And while a powerful vampire, I don't know if he is a Master. So the less powerful version was infact prudent, it's economic cost not withstanding.

-
SHEN

I have heard from several parties that part of assault on Elder's Hook army will include a complex piece of Ritual Magic designed to break the necromantic shackles he has placed on his prisoners within the Ternian nation. Is this the case? Are we expecting a large portion of the population to be cleansed of their necromantic shroud during this assault?

If that is the case, what preparations are in place to restrain or otherwise mitigate losses to the Ternian people while Wayside forces move into position and complete this strike? Phoenix Flight and the University has seen some success these last few Market Days reducing the number of unnecessary casualties among enslaved folk and I would like to continue this trend.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
I answered and confirmed this just over a month ago.

Yes there will be some fantastical feats of earthen magic this coming week. As I understand the plan (at the time - not an earth caster so this may or may not be true any longer)....

I was the "I don't know how earth magic works- but this is my crazy idea.... why can't we do this?" During the after Glow celebration of dispatching the founder in 319. Ser Rusty ( @Andrew Nelson ) has since then been working the magical math and consulting with notable earth formalists of " shen is crazy, and the idea would never work how he thought of it.... but if we do all of these things- then the idea is still viable... Once the idea held enough merit to actually be plausible - Rusty discussed it with Matron Lydia (@Pokethulu ), Apprentice Concilor Eve ( @tennyo.san ) , and Ractor ( @Ractor ) For their input and participation. Rusty has been since working directly notably with Eve on some of the Earth stuff, and has been working with a number of Elementals with the assistance of some others.

Ractor, as previously mentioned has been preparing himself for this ritual as he will be its Primary Caster and it will be quite daunting, exhausting and Lengary Magic the likes of which the Hook Bloodline is known. While also attempting to bring peace to a blighted land and heal that which he can - and also reconcile his upcoming Coup d'état in true regicidal fashion. An act that as mentioned my Lydia has simply not happened, let alone the great families standing against one of their own. No matter how evil - we have already discussed the power, abilities, and wide breath of not only Hook blood and dynasty, but Viktor himself is legend in his own right *before* his story entered book three.

As such, Eve, as described has been assisting with the collection of needed things that will be required to face Viktor. To my limited knowledge, these things alone, will bring him down to a level where adventuring mortals are capable of even trying to kill him, or will be used in the ritual to accomplish the same feat and also call upon that power which once was to instil it to continue the cycle into new beginnings and birth again.

It is possible that this will be a conjuctive, simultaneous, multiple Circles throughout the Ternian Empire. At least that is when it was my crazy idea. It's possible that research has removed that need due to things, or the idea has been refined to be plausible as conceived. Those ritual casters would be selected from Eve, Lydia, and Rusty as they three along with Ractor are the only Earth Formalist Adventurers Capable of True Empowerment. I know that I am going to be attempting to provide the near instant communication between the multiple circles if that is still happening. Yes I admit, I don't know the answer to that question - and I don't need to know it save for 30min before it might be needed.

As i had mentioned before and also separately in my recent "magical preparations for army of undead" there is going to be lots to do. As adventurers we manipulate and employ no small amount of resources and the exact missions (to my knowledge) are unknown until those resources are able to report. If my suspicious are correct, there is no exact plan yet because resources which will determine that, are still being outsourced and are still reporting in with their findings. Once all collected - it will be known exactly what is left that we must address personally.

While it is known amongst us, secured within our obfuscated Dreams - that such an insane idea- is actually being put forward as a workable plan and is seriously and earnestly going to be attempted... as soon as any traceable or obvious effort is done out in the countryside in an unsecured, not obfuscated fashion - it is no longer a secret and can become victim of numerous rituals. We Know for a fact that Viktor can call upon Dragon Magic, because he is as powerful as he is. Creatures of Less power are able to Encant an Arcane Vision on any topic they desire, and thus, Viktor would be capable of it too.

Resources are being used very delicately, and information is revealed very sparingly. Because all it takes is two adventurers sitting at the Flaming Skull to discuss the merits and ideas of the details, and we now won't know if our secret plan is known and being countered. Currently all any adventurer is able to reveal even under duress is that the Aprentice of the Solar Emeritus, following in his masters footsteps has an insane idea to manipulate magic, and is charismatic enough to get other people to believe and try it - but in reality it could never possibly work. This is a known reputation of Asura, his teacher Solar of æther and his Apprentice. And my name caries very few magical accomplishments to which such insane ideas are given more than an amusing eye roll.

There are in fact lots of details regarding the precise ritual magic involved. Even I don't know all of them, and none of them will ever be revealed to the public. Everyone who knows them has agreed to that because if it turns out that we collectively are right, and are able to pull off something any sane person would consider sucidially impossible - then the danger that knowledge posses not to just Wayside, but to Terna and Anret.... we are attempting to operated on a scope far beyond the realm of Mortals and it is succinctly why the Volarian Sarr led by Sakura wished war upon us because we have time and time again proven ourselves as Creatures of Power without nothing to hold us back but our word and honor.

I empathize that it is frustrating to not know the basic itinerary of a market gathering, but such basic questions are not ignored out of malfeasance. They are simply questions that to my knowledge, don't have answers and likely won't hours or maybe a day at most two before we travel and meet up in Naharis's lands.

It is my hope that by then, a better view and scope is known and can be provided and planned. However, do not seek to learn the inner workings of the ritual and how it is being empowered. Those who are involved in its design already know too much, and those who working it, know only as much as they need to perform the ritual as safe as can be managed for everyone. Even Ractor, the person actually casting/leading the ritual, has agreed to only know what is absolutely nessecary and not until it is nessecary for him to know it - just in case....

-
SHEN

Thank you Shen, as I was going to take the time away from my preparations to explain these. Also, to note I believe with the actions we have already taken has limited his growth in power. With the destruction of all of his "lich bits", while in his plan, some were destroyed before they could do their part. And we were able to gift of life others. As such, I have seen that he will not be able to reach the form of a full Draco Lich. Now, I will go back to my meditation.

Ractor Hook

Apprentice Magistrate Shen,

My interpretation of your response: information is on a need to know basis as evaluated by Lady FallingStar, Sir Rusty, Apprentice Councilor Rosenfeld, Master Ractor, and yourself. Therefore, since I do not know, I assume that is my answer.

I have done my time as a soldier and understand strategy needs to be siloed at times. So be it. I and the University stand ready when called.

Nonetheless, I do plan to move forward with attempts to coral and otherwise safeguard as many undead Ternians as possible in the hopes that the rumours are true. Please inform me if this disrupts the plan.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

Back