Was the Gift "school" hard to grasp?

I'm thematically not okay with the idea of Death being Necromancy. Nuh uh. Nosiree. Not ever.

Death has a history being natural. Necromancy has a history of being corruption. You'd be flipping the cosmology in a terrible, terrible way.

Edit: Thinking it thoroughly, I honestly believe this would render my character unfun to play.

That is fair, too. Maybe get rid of the word Death altogether. Rename Death to Doom (I'm really pushing for that) and keep Corrupt as Corrupt (or maybe change it to Sunder Spirit or something similar).

That removes the expected Death / Life dichotomy confusion and still keeps Death as natural.

-MS

(or eventually acknowledge that not everyone is going to be happy... sigh)

That is fair, too. Maybe get rid of the word Death altogether. Rename Death to Doom (I'm really pushing for that) and keep Corrupt as Corrupt (or maybe change it to Sunder Spirit or something similar).

That removes the expected Death / Life dichotomy confusion and still keeps Death as natural.

-MS

Or leave gift alone :) It wasn't broke.
I too would like Doom, there is just something about saying it that makes it so nice.

Or leave gift alone :) It wasn't broke.
I too would like Doom, there is just something about saying it that makes it so nice.

It wasn't removed because it was broken. It was removed because it was an unnecessary categorization.

After a year of being gone, I sincerely doubt that folks will really care that it's not around anymore.

-MS

Sounds perfectly workable to me. I also like "I curse you with the Doom spell" "I call upon the earth to cast the
Life spell" "I call upon Chaos to cast the Corrupt spell."

All thematic, doesn't change the cosmology, removes a very narrow school of magic, makes sense why undead/elementals 'die' from it.... Seems pretty elegant while keeping the design philosophy.

Heh. Wasn't there an old Celestial spell called 'Doom'? I can hear the Celestial casters complaining IG now (especially with how much more potent the Earth version is), and can see so many theoretical discussions among the mages trying to rationalize it. It would be great.

Heh. Wasn't there an old Celestial spell called 'Doom'? I can hear the Celestial casters complaining IG now (especially with how much more potent the Earth version is), and can see so many theoretical discussions among the mages trying to rationalize it. It would be great.

There was (although I think it might have been pre-split), and it had the best incant ever. "I SET YOUR DOOM UPON YOU!"

Only thing more satisfying than rapid fire Dragon's Breaths.

It wasn't removed because it was broken. It was removed because it was an unnecessary categorization.

Why is it deemed an "unnecessary categorization? It was prefect in its own category. You needed to be more spefic with your smart spell defense because it was another effect group. Now my HM I can purchase cloak curse

After a year of being gone, I sincerely doubt that folks will really care that it's not around anymore.

Kind of like Doom? Hehehe joking.

I think people will still talk about it. Like Ward keys (it was the best and the worst ever) and the hour long Prisons (again great but sucked when some one didn't know you were in the woods imprisoned all alone.

*Edit due to messing up quotes

Hey, if Doom comes back as a Curse we could save the Gift school by bringing back Tarry and Inspiration. Then Gift would have four effects, so it would be worth it to keep it around.

(PS not seriously)
;)

Why is it deemed an "unnecessary categorization?

This is going to sound dismissive, but it's not. This is what it ultimately boils down to, for me.

The owners voted on it at Symposium. They wanted to cut down on categories, and since this one hosted a single spell, it was an easy pick.

They get the only say in what's necessary, and they picked that. Sure, some folks will disagree with that, but the position is at least reasonable.

Evan is correct. ARC recommended the change, owners voted for it (either unanimously or unanimously minus one, this was 2 years ago) and, let me tell you, we are strongly against retreading successful votes from Symposium 2014. We still have a ways to go, there are several things that we have no consensus on yet, and backpedaling holds no temptation. We also culled the Summoned Force effect group which had several effects in it.

So why play test something that was voted in? Seems to be you have made up your mind and are just wasting peoples time.

I'm guessing because the rulebook is hundreds of pages long, and there were a lot of other changes on which the owners *didn't* unanimously agree.

As a real-life biologist and self-described pedantic nerd, I could spend all day arguing about the optimal way to classify groups of things. :) But it sounds like us pro-Gift people are in the minority, sadly. *Shrugs*

So why play test something that was voted in? Seems to be you have made up your mind and are just wasting peoples time.

On the removal of Gift, yup. We (the owners) made up our minds. We are not asking to playtest Gift or removing Gift.

What we are asking is to playtest new/revised skills, spell incants, racial changes, MIs and more.

Hope that helps clear it up so you do not think you are wasting your time. :)

On the removal of Gift, yup. We (the owners) made up our minds. We are not asking to playtest Gift or removing Gift.

What we are asking is to playtest new/revised skills, spell incants, racial changes, MIs and more.

Hope that helps clear it up so you do not think you are wasting your time. :)

Ok np. Paladins please lock this as we no longer need to discuss the former Gift effect group.

Back