What kind of world do you want?

Redcloud

Scholar
Earlier this year, both of my boys were diagnosed Autistic. It's heart breaking for my wife and I and we're doing all we can to raise awareness about what is quickly, if not already, becomming an epidemic.

The band, Five for Fighting, is generously donating $0.40 to Autism Speaks for *each time* the video is viewed the funding goes toward research
studies to help find a cure. When you have a moment, please visit the link below to watch the video and pass it along to your friends and family.

They are aiming for 10,000 hits, but hopefully we can help them to surpass this goal.

http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com ... /id/408214

Thank you all for at least taking the time to read this.

-Mike

Good call!

and Bumpo!

-Justin

Mike,

I actually just went to a training session today on working with Autistic kids. It was run by a group called Parents of Autistic Children. If you haven't already heard of them, their website is http://www.poac.net. The speaker was absolutely wonderful, and it could be a great organization for you and your wife to meet and talk with other parents dealing with some of the same things. They also do all kinds of events for the families.

Sending love and strength...

-Michelle

bump

We actually are working with a school for autistic children. It's the Alpine Learning Center, they have a therapist who comes out every thursday to work with our boys in addition to parent training courses, family training courses and a long lecture series being given at Hackensack Medical Center. I'll def look up POAC and see what they are about. This whole situation has really driven me to start thinking about trying to go back to school and finish my early childhood education degree.

The thing that has everybody frustrated about Autism is that they have yet to find a medical cause. It's not like Downes where you find that extra chromosome, or other conditions that were caused by a stroke in-utero or by drinking or drugs or exposure to something...

Given the exponential increase in cases (when we were kids it was one in more than 10,000, now it's 1 in 166) some experts say it points to something environmental, but nobody's figured it out yet. At least now, unlike 40 years ago, they realize that this is something that needs attention and not something to be shunned and ignored. On the upside they are some of the most loving and wonderful kids you'll ever meet.

a friend has a boy that has Asperger's Syndrome. She has him (and the whole family) on gluten-free diet. She thinks that it works pretty well. I personally think I would have been diagnosed with this if the diagnosis had existed when I was young. I'm very curious about the whole autism thing.

Redcloud said:
Earlier this year, both of my boys were diagnosed Autistic. It's heart breaking for my wife and I and we're doing all we can to raise awareness about what is quickly, if not already, becomming an epidemic.

The band, Five for Fighting, is generously donating $0.40 to Autism Speaks for *each time* the video is viewed the funding goes toward research
studies to help find a cure. When you have a moment, please visit the link below to watch the video and pass it along to your friends and family.

They are aiming for 10,000 hits, but hopefully we can help them to surpass this goal.

http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com ... /id/408214

Thank you all for at least taking the time to read this.

-Mike

bump

bumped for your morning viewing pleasure

Mike,
Going back to what Velkyn had said; a friend of mine used to babysit for an autistic child (who might've actually had the same syndrome that Velkyn was talking about) but the boy was on a very specific diet, and it seemed to help tremendously. I don't know if you guys are already on it (as I'm sure its something you've heard about) but I would recommend looking into it.

-Ali

My kids are on a GFCF diet (Gluten and Casein free), they also are allergic to Soy, Wheat and Oat. So yeah, they're diet is pretty specific. We're also getting 10 hrs a week of ABA (applied behavior analysis) therapy, and a 1hr a week in-home parrent training session. We are also seeing a D.A.N. (Defeat Autism Now) Doctor, who prescribed Methel B-12 shots for the boys which they get every 3 days. It's a tough schedule, but the kids seem to do very well and have made great progress in the last few weeks. The most common similarites found in most Autistic kids is a mutation in the MFTHR gene, and a build up of heavy metals in the system. The reason for the dietary changes is that, the gluten and especially the Casein break down into chemicals that act as an Opiate and can cloud thinking and attentiveness is children. Thank you all for your support, it's good to know others are aware of this growing problem, and with knowledge comes progess and hopefully a cure.

bump

Yay! My children just got accepted into an outreach program from a school for autistic childer, which means they'll get extra therapy now, and they can enroll in the school if necessary when they reach preschool age!

Redcloud said:
Yay! My children just got accepted into an outreach program from a school for autistic childer, which means they'll get extra therapy now, and they can enroll in the school if necessary when they reach preschool age!

Great man!!!

Back