What Makes a good Chapter?

Jorundr

Artisan
I was talking with some mates of mine about what makes a good chapter...not game because thats going to be so far varied based on geographical locations.

perhaps this thread will also help others and people will post tricks or things they've learned over the years.

I'm mainly looking for Chapter not Flavor.

Heres a few of mine.

1) Efficient and Coordinated Logistics people... I would only "Hire" people with OCD and neat freaks if I had my say lol.

2) Utilizing resources: NPC schedules, treasure distribution, perceived treasure distribution
3) Updates: How available the update person makes themselves, and responds to emails

4) Communication: Overall flow of communication, if you do an IBGA how long is the wait time before you know, and if you submit follow up how soon do you get that back.

5) Overall togetherness: 1) basically how well the chapter is prepared for things, do they do everything on the fly?.. if they do is it a sloppy story?. If something changes are they prepared for those changes...do they buckle and shut down, do they overcome and adapt

6) Player Population: Is the player base small, how skilled is the player base when it comes to the game, how do they treat outsiders...

7) Evolution of the game: Has the chapter evolved into a game that lets you grow with them or does it stifle your growth until the staff is ready for everyone to move forward.. does the game have a dynamic atmosphere that lets you feel like its the real world.

8) The Chapter Owner: Does the chapter Owner leave his game to play in other games?....does he have a sense of community by showing he can PC and leave the sanctity of his home, Can the chapter owner deal with Jerry Boyd Rolling into his game..
do they treat high level players or outside with disrespect or do they invite em out for a beer...can they take criticism.

9) The Staff: How do they deal with Teams, can they cope with efficient and surgically accurate players, how do they treat outsiders

10) Pulling it all together: how well does the chapter come together do they see the holes in their game and are striving to fix em or do they pass the buck?

--------

I wish all the modules I went on were double hook mods... I hate NPC in 4 hour blocks*
the clause to the above comment is if Plot comes to me and asks that I NPC a lowbie module or run a lowbie module.. I LOVE doing that to help them out. I just hate getting shoved into the Role of the farmer who has to go and res in the circle.. or go and be Joe Jean the farmer of radishes.. give me some claws.. let me be a crunchy

Double hook more mods!...
ask me to run mods,
ask all the high level players / Teams to be crunchies for a "town Fight"

Double hooks are absolutely wonderful for the little fishbowl mods that pop up. They let you take a break from your character, while at the same time providing both groups of PCs with more NPCs than the game can usually muster. Plus, less waiting for NPC camp to be available to run a mod.

Seems like a total win/win there.

CONSISTANCY!!!!

As the player of a chracter who gets involved in local IG events and studies the word and history of the chapter I HATE it when a new plot committee just decides to ignore an aspect of the world that had been firmly established before.

To that end, I am hugely appreciative of any plot committee that can work in or otherwise acknowledge the story before they came along and not run contrary to it because they felt like it or felt their ideas/story should trump it.

I was sitting in the Corner of the Tavern with my Doughnut look on trying to figure out who is who and what is what when certan owner and Noble sopts me sitting alone and instanty arranges a mini adventure that I get invited too.

That impressed me very much, its that concern that makes a great Chapter!
I was also asked a dozen times if I was enjoying myself and if I needed anything that too is great!
every one was super friendly and the people working the varous areas worked non stop to help everyone !
these things for me made me come back despite the cold and rain and mud!

FW

Also, great players make a great chapter. Recently, I hopped a plane halfway across the country to catch my first event in months at Seattle, and I was very impressed by the sheer level of friendliness the players and staff there showed me. Definitely a group of people out to have fun, first and foremost, and I can't thank them enough for a great experience since I don't get to play as often as I'd like. :D

I concurr. The people make the chapter. I've never been to a chapter where I felt unwelcome or unneeded. That is the magic of the Alliance to me and the formula for any good organization. Sure, there may be events where the plot wasn't that great, the event was slow, weather hindered some things from occuring - but the people... they make all that not matter. The Players - Always looking to start their own plot (sometimes to plots chagrin), always willing to help the clueless newbs. The Staff - Always willing to take that extra step to make sure everyone is having a good time. And the NPC's - Always willing to go that extra mile to make our games as memorable and entertaining as possible. It's the people involved that make any of our chapters great.

I also agree that the overall friendliness of everyone adds a wonderful atmosphere to the game. I just got back from the April MN event and probably one of the things that made it absolutely the most fun was that the group of PC's was fantastic and just really cool to hand out with. By the end of the weekend we were all really starting to get a sense of cohesion.

But in addition to people I do have to say that a tight, organized and well run logistics is one of the most easily forgotten REALLY important and critical parts of the game. I agree that if possible only OCD organized and perfectionist people should do this. =) I wanted to say that the logistics for MN were also great and clear and that really helped the game move right along.

Incidentally I had the first experience ever of Dreaming in character the first night. I woke up amazed… it was freaking awesome; like in my dream I WAS Eldarion!

All right, so I may be partial, but --

Bad *** NPCs who play well and play hard always, always make me want to come back to a chapter again. These are, essentially, the people that make your game. They help put plot's thoughts to a reality, they help give the PCs their game -- it's not just about the -amount- of NPCs you have either (although having more is always a plus). It's about the NPCs you have enjoying their aspect of the game just as much as the PCs, and having that mutual mindset for participation create a more enjoyable experience.

I really think it comes down to having a great staff and NPC's. The Plot team must be organized and have a plan yet also be flexible enough to work with the PC's when they think outside the box. The Staff has to be approachable and make an effort to address all players concerns in an openminded and well thought out manner. The NPC's must understand that really they are "the ride at the amusment park" and that the important part is that the players are experiencing what is intended by the Plot team. If those three things are going well then the odds are the player base is enjoying itself, getting more involved and vichariously making the staffs job easier.

My two cents

A staff that is professional and treats their duties like a desirable job.
NPCs that invested in the plotline.
Constant participant growth or turnover.
Consistency in writing.

Hammerfist said:
The NPC's must understand that really they are "the ride at the amusment park"

Perhaps, but if I go around with a sign that says, 'you must be this tall to ride', it will probably get me in trouble.

Yes it will. Be prepared to get pummeled by my tiny girl arms.

Sunnfire said:
Sweet.

Make sure you wake me up first so I can pretend to get hurt.

They should track two types of posts: useful and useless. Jesse's ratio would be about 1:144.

Hmmm, I think my own ration just dropped.

:lol:

My first NPCing at an event

walk into barn, get no training, told to dress up as town person dying of plague go out there with this other two guys, no rule book, not told what to do if PCs ask me stuff, not told what to do except "go die"

this was a bad experience

My second time NPCing an event

told where to go for NPC camp and told who my 'boss' is. head to building where I am told exactly what to do and what needs to get done and when NPC training will happen. Help unpack, go to training, learn lots and what to expect not in detail but generalities. go back to NPC camp where am welcomed with free snacks and bottled water and told to take it easy when I need to and hydrate when I need to. ORDERLY told to get dressed as ______________ then get in line for monster card, then get in line for treasure. Then told where to go and helped by veterans as to what to expect and how to act and what to do. go kill or attempt to kill PCs. told its not nice to be happy when you manage to get them on the ground so try not to be happy while facing them. Go to kitchen in the morning where tavern wenches are more than helpful in telling me what to do to help them and how they would like it done. VERY organized staff that was honest about their lack of sleep and their ability and probability of becoming a hellhound mutant jerk during the weekend. but ya know what warms my heart the absolute MOST out of all of it....hearing a PC walk by with their sword on their head and yelling THANK YOU NPC.....i like when people are grateful for the little things you do even if you do it wrong.

Oh, by all means Chapter Owners should go out and visit other Chapters. I myself have done it FOUR times (first at each Chapter as an NPC, and then later on as an PC). Unfortunaltey, we in Minnesota have yet had another Chapter Owner visit us on our own home turf, yet, even though we do follow the common courtesy that Chapter Owners get to play for ***FREE***. :shock:

The policy/invitation still stands. ;)

you are far away :( i bet washington/oregon have the same problem ..although i'd LOVE to visit oregon!!!!!! but i don't own anything

Back