What was your first magic item ever?

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
In my early days of LARP, it was incredible for me to get my first magic item, and I'm sure other folks felt the same back when it happened to them.

So, I'm curious: what was your first magic item? :)

Mine was a 2/day Enflame bracelet featuring a resin-encased beetle, flawed so that it could only be activated in the rain.

6x Ever 30 Magic Assassinate in the form of a domino. As a fighter, I didn't think I'd get a whole lot of use out of it. And then I dropped all of them in the same event I got the item.

Damn the Monarch.

My first Alliance MI wasn't super exciting (I used goblins to get a 2/day 30 Elemental Burst, whoo!) but I had a lot of fun getting my first magic item in NERO. This was my first time PCing any larp and either my second or third game overall. I was supposed to have a whole group come in with me and somehow ended up being the only one that actually made it, so I was kinda on my own as a level 3 character in a mostly high-level chapter. The Guild of Knowledge (or something like that, it's been like 9 years) came into town passing out a math puzzle, basically a cross-word puzzle with arithmetic. Given that I didn't really know anyone and didn't feel like I could do much as a PC, this was a really nice way to spend some time, so I got through it as quickly as I could, checked my answers, and turned it back in to the NPC that handed the puzzles out. Turns out I was the only one to return it fully completed, and I got a "quill" (actually a ball-point pen with a big feather on the end) that was a 2-year, 5-effect magic item as a reward. It was all utility spells, though I don't remember what exactly was on it other than 1/day Inspiration, which was a NERO spell that lets you renew a single skill. I'd probably find the rep annoying nowadays (how do you store it without ruining it?) but I always made a point to show it off - I always used the pen when I needed something to write with and I kept it tucked into the cloth bracer things I wore at the time so there was always a big feather on my arm.

A mace with a flame aura I managed to pick up as a result of an honor duel.

My very first magic item was at the Nero Brooklyn module site. It was at the end of the "Magic Item Factory" mod. Upon completion of the mod, the mage that tasked you with "testing his tower" would make an item for you. The marshal would have you roll some 10 sided dice a few times and based on a sheet that was what you ended up with.
Since this was my 2nd (or possibly 3rd) mod (I didn't do an event yet) the only item I could charge was my weapon (what a bad move because if it got shattered, bye bye magic item). I received a 3x ever cure critical wounds. At my first weekend event up in Athol New York with something like 2-3 feet of snow on the ground, the town was fighting and the big sticks (Trellhiem) were taking on this huge hydra (multi npced). One of their members went down in front of me so I used all three shots on him (I think it was a guy named Enoch). He thanked me. After the fight he asked me if I used a times ever item (times per day were hard to get) because he knew I was a fighter. I told him yea, that was all my charges. He gave me several gold for using it. In a time when you had to pay for maxing out that few gills was very very useful.

Oh man. Mine was a 1/Day Life, 1/day Cloak Gift, for one year. I loved that thing. It was a cute little green stone.

I received mine during my 3rd or 4th Alliance game, and it was a little leather bracelet with skull studs. 3/ever 75 assassinate ^.^

I believe Evan was on the receiving end of at least one of those ~.^

4/E Life in a doily. It had a flaw that read, "Must be placed on target's head to activate." Someone gave it to my stone elf because she thought it read "Must be placed on caster's head to activate," and she correctly thought that would be hilarious. There was a very tense night battle once where I spent easily 10-15 minutes crouched in the grass by a tree nearby with the doily on my head, waiting for someone to call for a Life. Nobody saw me, and nobody needed a Life, so I took it off again unseen.

My first magic item was from gobbies/MI picks....Arcane Armor in a piece of Aztec Gold.

The first magic item I had crafted came last month when I had two elemental auras placed on my sword.

The first magic item I've looted? Still waiting.

My first item was a Purify Blood 1/day with a flaw: The item was a bowl, and it must be filled with water (and drunk by the target) to activate.

My first item was a Purify Blood 1/day with a flaw: The item was a bowl, and it must be filled with water (and drunk by the target) to activate.

Nice. Remember the life candle paul?
Items with flaws like that were great.

I suppose I could have two answers. My third game ever by hook or by crook I ended up with a piece of my races artifact, a necklace which was spirit linked and caused me to take one point of unavoidable body damage every time I took a protective/ enhancement effect. Twas rough but good things came of it eventually.

If we're talking about MIs that were actually useful to oneself then it was a once a day paralysis with the flaw that the incantation will always be "I call upon entropy to paralyze you! Activate paralysis!"

Ah empire magic. Good times.

A turquoise necklace with a 1/day Bless and a 1/day Shield. So basically a 1/day Bless. #biataproblems

Just got it a few months ago.

-

Last edited:
I received mine during my 3rd or 4th Alliance game, and it was a little leather bracelet with skull studs. 3/ever 75 assassinate ^.^

I believe Evan was on the receiving end of at least one of those ~.^

...Yep. Totally thought you'd been lying to me about your skill level this entire time.

"2 normal, 2 normal, 75 assassinate". :p

My first magic item was this absolutely awful Orc Shaman headdress that we got on my very first weekend 5 years ago. We were even able to use it on a mod to trick a rival group of orcs not to attack us!

I've never had a better magic item since, but because I prefer not using magic items... It works out. :D

Name: Healer's Breath
Flaw(s):
  • Only Usable by Earth Casters
  • Only Usable by 10th Level and Below
  • Must be worn openly
Effects:
  • Bane Greater Command - 1/d
  • Bane Command - 2/d
  • Bless - 1/d
  • Magic Armor - 1/d
  • Cure Light Wounds - 1/d
  • Cure Wounds - 1/d
  • Cure Serious Wounds - 1/d
  • Cure Disease - 1/d
  • Purify - 1/d
Here's a bad photo of me wearing the headdress for your amusement. :)

Attachments

• Headdress.jpg
    Headdress.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 47
My first magic item was this absolutely awful Orc Shaman headdress that we got on my very first weekend 5 years ago. We were even able to use it on a mod to trick a rival group of orcs not to attack us!

I've never had a better magic item since, but because I prefer not using magic items... It works out. :D

Name: Healer's Breath
Flaw(s):
  • Only Usable by Earth Casters
  • Only Usable by 10th Level and Below
  • Must be worn openly
Effects:
  • Bane Greater Command - 1/d
  • Bane Command - 2/d
  • Bless - 1/d
  • Magic Armor - 1/d
  • Cure Light Wounds - 1/d
  • Cure Wounds - 1/d
  • Cure Serious Wounds - 1/d
  • Cure Disease - 1/d
  • Purify - 1/d
Here's a bad photo of me wearing the headdress for your amusement. :)

Wow. That thing is...gorgeous...

+2 damage aura
1/day 50 point critical slay
Permanence

Was a pretty nice sword for a low level rogue back in the day.

That's a pretty nice sword for any one

Back