What would you do?

Lurin

Duke
So um, I'v been traveling more than I'm used to and I'm starting to get a heavier coin purse than usual. Most of the time that's okay because I always need extra money for a new workshop or something like that so I can keep up on my crafting, but even with that I kinda find that I sometimes have more money than I need to save to be sure of being able to buy stuff and I'm wondering what someone who is smarter than me that wants to do some good with it might spend it on?

A couple of things, because when I ask this question sometimes people think they are funny, or maybe take advantage, or think I'm stronger/braver/smarter than I am. First I'm not just gonna give it to you/this other guy you know to spend it for me (Unless you maybe really need a little bit of coin or something important, but even then I should know you first I guess). Second, I don't want or need any magic items, there are a lot of people that can use them a lot better and there is no sense in wasting magic by having me buy it. Third, I don't really need to make a bunch of money over whatever it is, but it should be something that does need more money later to keep going...I really don't think it would be smart to have people depending on me being able to keep providing things.

Thanks for any ideas...

-Jehyu

You could always donate some to local guilds such as a healers guild who help those in the area who can't afford things such as healing potions. That way you can lighten your purse and help others. Is there an orphanage in the area? If you want something that relates to you more directly, commission a great meal in your local tavern or from a cook or baker. Just some ideas.

~Sun~

Jehyu,

I operate by the principle of "teach a man to fish..." and its worked pretty well so far. A little goes a long way, a workshop for a traveling adventurer takes longer to pay itself off but brings returns even after you leave it. A lumber-mill, quarry, community center, orphanage, or even a road help the people in unseen ways.

If your curious about it I can explain it to you next time we meet. Heck I could use some fresh ideas myself.

Fern Woods
Bonded Guardsman of Gaden

I myself am a firm believer in putting my spare coin into the coffers of the local guard. There are not always such numbers of adventurers to aid in the defense againt those unsavory forces that threaten the citizenry. In their absence it may be wise to ensure that the local forces have the means to arm and train themselves.

Alternatively, you may consider starting a bank of sorts: loaning items and gold with the promise of repayment or favor. I wouldn't know how you might insure these debts, however.

Undrask said:
I myself am a firm believer in putting my spare coin into the coffers of the local guard. There are not always such numbers of adventurers to aid in the defense againt those unsavory forces that threaten the citizenry. In their absence it may be wise to ensure that the local forces have the means to arm and train themselves.

Alternatively, you may consider starting a bank of sorts: loaning items and gold with the promise of repayment or favor. I wouldn't know how you might insure these debts, however.

You sound like Tvard, we met last gathering, but I can't be sure...

-Jehyu

Jehyu,

I have found that one of the best ways to spend excess coin that you want to spend in meaningful ways is to support your fellows. Procure a bevvy of cure light wounds potions and elixirs or other curatives/enjoyable draughts. Obtain some of the more useful but rarely memorized scrolls for when you or someone else needs them, such as Wall of Force or Lesser Investment. No archer will ever turn their nose up at more quivers.

If you know someone who makes things but currently lacks a shop, broker a deal to procure a shop for them in exchange for getting goods at below market value until they've repaid you. If a new mage or healer walks into town, fund a full spellbook for them. Often, they have only what their teacher gave them before heading out into the world. The same can be said for warriors and their like.

These are long term investments. Should the people around you survive, they will not forget your assistance too readily. Friends are better wealth than coin.

Dame Ny'ranï

Best way to get use outta dat coin is to put it to work.

First you build a good fort or a keep or somet'in like dat. Good strong building.

Den you hire a bunch of guys to defend dat fort.

Den you bring in a bunch of farmers to work da land around da fort and promise to protect dem wit' your guys and your fort.

Next t'ing you know you makin' lots of money from extra farm food. Build a tavern. Den de adventurers come. Hire a shaman to build a earf guild. Hire a smitty, build forge. Make a little town.

Holy crap - you am warlord of little town. Lookit what da money did for you and for all dem peoples. Someone gonna make you a lord.

Jeyhu,

There was once a time after a fatal mistake I made where you handed to me a large purse of gold to be given to Shademarch Keep to help with the shortage of food they were going through. You didn't say anything, you simply handed the gold over, unasked, and went about your way. That was a true act of kindness, and hopefully the people of Shademarch know of the Rabbit who saved them that season.

Might I suggest doing the same again. I would not merely hand it over again, but instead teach people how to plant, cultivate, and get themselves stabilized in a land which only a year ago was under Corrupt rule. You could invest in new farming practices, perhaps you yourself can find some young craftsmen who have ideas and invest your coin towards their research and development.

As someone like yourself who is versed in all sorts of magical and non-magical pursuits, perhaps you can start to help those like yourself in achieving their dreams and perhaps even bettering the people for their invention. The only thing stopping them is funds. You can provide initial funds, and take part ownership when it's created. Does that sound like an option?

I tell ya, the things you learn hanging around Thorador and Davion talk about the Brokers Guild really comes in handy sometimes.

-Asher

I don't want to be a warlord, and I don't want to be in charge...I just want to help out, and I don't want to make a bunch of people owe me favors or anything like that, and I don't really know how to fish at all.

I make most of my money from making things for people, and I usually do okay making enough stuff to have what people need, but making more stuff would probably just make the problem worse, not better.

I do like the idea of funding like a big dinner or something like that, it could be really good. I do like to try to craft new things and I do spend a lot of money on things like that. Elemental Essences from Asyl, Pigments and Ores from Barran, Lumium, Yelith Root and Nilius grass from Gaden, but once I figure out what to do with them, and get them into the hands of someone who is worthy of using them I usually end up making money again, and I can't always keep up which is why I need to figure out what to do with the extra coins.

-Jehyu

Greetings Jehyu,

It seems you have the problem that everyone wants: too much money in your possession.

I know you have said that you do not want magic items for yourself, but have you thought about using your financial resources to procure rituals for those you care about? For instance, procure a Regenerate and Preserve or Permanent Duration for a friend or have an item made with a large number of cloaks and banes for another friend. Magics like these can really help your friends out by keeping them alive.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Alavatar Peece

Jehyu,

It's also not about having people owe you a bunch of favors. It's about helping people learn and grow, and making friends so when the fighting breaks out, as it always inevitably does, there are people who have your back, and you theirs.

Alavatar has a good point about procuring rituals for others to help keep them safe and better able to do their chosen job on the field. If it's not something you're personally interested in, you could always find yourself a ritualist that's trustworthy, and just strike a deal with them to procure and create for you. Then you can just feed them money so that they can do that.

Ask the various guilds in the lands you travel what they need. Maybe it'll be something you can procure for them.

~Ny'

Dear Jehyu,

It is always a pleasure to have you at my side in a battle, and to deal with you as an honest businessman.

I suggest that you fund a research academy. There are many diseases in need of cures (such as the Black Ichor in my own lands of Icenia), and there is always talk of creating new alchemical weopon coatings, new scrolls, a life potion, or even an invisibility spell. Your funds could make one of these a reality, either by announcing a prize or by hiring and traing acolytes to perform the research.

Regardless of what you decide, I am confident that you will choose wiesely and with honor.

Sincerely,
Sornelintion the Eagle-eye, sometimes known as Swifteagle
Amani Elf of the Ash Forest
Ashbury, Icenia

Jeyhu,

There be many that starve and be hard for find way for feed family. Many be desperate and make last choice before starve, what some call be "bandit" in Sheltered Lands. Need help but no one give, so they forced for take. They be good people, they be hard work people that only need coin for feed family.

You give me coin and me can give "bandits" better way for eat and live. Maybe then bandit "problem" go away.

-Cho Ko Nu
Free Man of Three

Cho Ko Nu,

How much does it cost to buy each bandit and how many are there? Also, if they are in Gaden, can't they just join the army and get money that way maybe?

Research sounds good to me, and I already do a lot of that, I have a lot of trouble talking to other crafters about it, I dunno if they don't want to share their secrets or they don't think I'll understand how they do things or what, but it's something that I'm looking into, I've join some guilds in Barran, hopefully they can help some up there and I do a lot of research in Gaden and Asyl when I'm in those places.

I've thought about Rituals, but if I start buying those out from under groups, or powerful people, then I'll be getting in the way of what they are doing and to be honest they know a lot better than I do what rituals need to go to who. To be honest I really think that doing the big ritual stuff will just make me step on peoples toes, a lot of who can be good customers and I don't wanna do that. I do sometimes buy rituals if they don't seem to be as important, like Gifts of Life, or Find the whole, or ums, Bound Shards and things like that.

I like the idea of helping people get shops, how would I find folks that need things like that do you think?

-Jehyu

Jehyu, Donate to your local orphanage. When children are given the proper care and upbringing, they will become the heroes we need. Too many children are with out homes, food and clothing. Take care of them before some one else does. I personally knew an orphanage where people would use the children as recruits. Starting them young, they think what they are doing is the right way...It's not a crime to them if they were never taught that it is wrong.

Just to be Certain...

That one fellow said an Orphanage was a Workshop? ..... What are you doing you sick sick creature?

Reiklund

He makes a good point. Make sure your intentions and ideas are well before you fund a dark cause. Otherwise you and a wolf are sharing the same cold meal. Sharing the same forest path of darkness. Intentional or unintentional. Don't make a habit of folly, folly does a good job finding it's own victims as it is

Zimps of Odenis

Jehyu,

The money could go to good use in Gaden's Earth Guild. The guildhalls nearest the grove are almost overflowing with Children of Autumn afflicted by the blight. I don't think money can fix the problem, but I know for damn sure it can't hurt.

Briar of First Forest
Defender of the Earth Guild

KyleSchmelz said:
Jehyu,

The money could go to good use in Gaden's Earth Guild. The guildhalls nearest the grove are almost overflowing with Children of Autumn afflicted by the blight. I don't think money can fix the problem, but I know for damn sure it can't hurt.

Briar of First Forest
Defender of the Earth Guild

I could bring potions and alchemy to help in a few weeks, what do you think they need?

-Jehyu

Jehyu,

I'm sure any curatives you could provide would be helpful. I believe alchemical oil is also useful in treating the symptoms.

Briar of First Forest

Back