What would you do?

Lurin said:
Research sounds good to me, and I already do a lot of that, I have a lot of trouble talking to other crafters about it, I dunno if they don't want to share their secrets or they don't think I'll understand how they do things or what, but it's something that I'm looking into, I've join some guilds in Barran, hopefully they can help some up there and I do a lot of research in Gaden and Asyl when I'm in those places.

-Jehyu

Jehyu,
I don't think you have that much problem talking to other crafters. You seem to be one busy rabbit though! If you're having this problem, you could perhaps buy things to make the town stronger, like this one adventurer named Eric Marsters bought a Haven of the Living and cast it on the tavern, keeping all undead out of it. Or you could spend the money to build roads and farmhouses in the Valley of Solice for the commoners - adventurers aren't the only people in the land.

I don't really have any fun or exciting secrets to share. Lumium lengthens and lightens, Yelith root heals and gassifies. But these are things you already know. Feel free to talk to me whenever you want.

Hunter Davion

Jehyu,

As you might know the peoples of Shademarch and Hopes Reach have suffered a recent blow, and we could use any and all the help we can to rebuild the homes and work places of the folks of the area.
I am sure others will be contacting you, but I remembered reading this Dreaming and thought I might respond that we can use as much funding as possible for this project.

With honor always,
Squire Thorador Boulderfist

Thanks for all the ideas! It's still really hard to figure out what to do with stuff, but I think I've decided to spend most of my extra coin for workshops when I travel (I've got fifteen so far, but probably need twice as many) so I can always make as much as possible. The rest I've been thinking I'll save to use when people need help and aren't getting it. It's too easy for someone to need food, or supplies, or weapons and things and not be able to get them.

Anyway I really appreciate everyone who thought about this with me, it is really nice to get the opinions of people who understand things better than I do.

-Jehyu

So you're going to spend money on yourself and "save the rest" for when people are extremely desperate for it? How does this make you any different from any other adventurer, Jehyu? Even Fern does more than that.

Hunter Davion

I think being more like other adventuers would be a good thing, I mean most of them I've met are really, really brave, and they are stronger, or smarter, than I am and they can save a lot of people all the time by fighting to keep them safe, or casting spells to heal or protect them and stuff. All I can do is sometimes make some trinket or something that they can use when they are out helping people.

I dunno about spending money on myself, sometimes I tip people that are nice to me, or buy food and stuff, but the money always goes to someone that can probably use it a lot better than me, or who need the things I can make, so by buying their food, they can buy things they need and some people would rather have a healing potion than a sandwitch sometimes. I was just thinking that usually when I go places people need more things than I can make for them, so if I keep a small fund for buying workshops when I can travel, I won't have to tell people I can't make the things they need.

I didn't say anything about waiting until people are desperate, I was just thinking that a lot of the times there are things that need to be done, where lots of people are donating money and stuff, in those cases I don't think my money is really needed, or I can donate a smaller amount, like the earnings I make in a gathering, and that's not really what I was talking about here, I was talking about the money that kinda piles up over time above what I spend and stuff over gatherings. Sometimes people need things and no one else wants to fund it for some reason, like there are other things going on, or folks don't have extra coins.

at least....that's what I was thinking....do you really think it's not a good plan?...

-Jehyu

Davion said:
So you're going to spend money on yourself and "save the rest" for when people are extremely desperate for it? How does this make you any different from any other adventurer, Jehyu? Even Fern does more than that.

Hunter Davion

How about it's his money and he does what ever he wants with it...

To defend jehyu, jehyu is being modest in his contributions. I've seen adventurers with accumulated wealth who do not even help out their kingdom and alliances one quarter the way jehyu does for foreign kingdoms causes. Jehyu is selfless as he makes sure each adventure gets the chance to order as well as what one doesn't order or if he finds a cause righteous he is BEYOND generous in makings contribution. He is really positively changing the lives of hundreds if not thousands of commoners and some adventures in aiding them with his generousity.

And as for keeping some for himself. I have not seen jehyu swing swords of great magic, I have not seen jehyu in a construct of gold, nor himself buy out worthy scrolls. All in which I can see a typical adventure doing. That is why he is asking for advice to see in what ways he can use his wealth to revolutionize instead of profit.

I can foresee jehyu impacting a kingdom so positively with his contributions I could see him having citizens in foreign lands naming bone gardens and grottos after him. As well as he is a champion of those who are of wealth and may influence them to make the same contributions.

So please do not say he's like other adventurers. Jehyu is being VERY modest. I'm not sure who this Fern is so I cannot speak on his behalf however I can tell you for sure: I've seen jehyu's contributions and they are more than what a lot of nobles of that land has done for a kingdom on which he has no devoted service to.

Zimps of Odenis from the Kingdom of Arandin

Lurin said:
I think being more like other adventuers would be a good thing, I mean most of them I've met are really, really brave, and they are stronger, or smarter, than I am and they can save a lot of people all the time by fighting to keep them safe, or casting spells to heal or protect them and stuff. All I can do is sometimes make some trinket or something that they can use when they are out helping people.

-Jehyu

But not all adventurers are good role models, Jehyu. Just recently you mentioned adventurers killing each other. Some adventurers are really brave, strong, or smart, but is that your path? Is that what you'll be good at if you try and do what they do? What I like about you, Jehyu, is that you're not a normal adventurer. You don't "hate" people. You don't save all your money to buy the biggest sword. I sold you that dragon crossbow not because it was good for me to sell it, but because it was better for you to have it.

Almost all adventurers will keep their money until the dam breaks. They'll then spend their money cleaning up the damage from the broken dam, but only after people and their things have been hurt. Just recently, the corrupt broke through in the Valley of Solice and people died. Would it have been better for us to strengthen our defenses so it didn't happen at all and to have built roads so the army could arrive quicker to save more people if they did get through, OR would it be better for us to go help people after the corrupt have left? This is what I'm saying. Build roads, walls, hire yourself a small army. Help prevent problems, or make them not so bad, not just save your money to fix the damage of those problems.

AllianceCHI said:
Ya wanna explain that to me?

-Fern

You build walls and roads.

-Hunter Davion

After the last Gathering, even though it was short, I did kinda see what Davion was talking about. I've been doing a lot of traveling lately, and even though I have been spending money, I have more right now than usual and some of the folks I know have been making comments and things, like I could just give away poison shield elixirs when folks are fighting the poison thing.

I guess now I'm just worried because if I do that I'd run out of money pretty fast, even though I have some right now, plus if I give stuff for free and then start charging I don't know if people would understand. I don't want to just sit on a bunch of money, if nothing else it's heavy, and I don't really need more things or people hunting me because I'm both tastey and wealthy.

I think I know what I'll do this time, and I'll just have to hope I can make enough to keep up with workshops and stuff....

-Jehyu

My dear friend Jehyu,

You are a being of free will. The only one that can answer such a question is you.

My personal opinion, however, would be for you to continue to pass your generosity to those that truly need it. Become the embodiment of the Sixth tenet of Arandin's Measure of the Rose: Those shalt be hospitable to those in need. As I'm sure that many of us can attest, you can't go a few miles before you wind up in some war-torn region of Fortannis where the common folk are struggling to survive, let alone return to their livelihoods.

Your contribution to the Empire that I serve was unexpected and welcome, even though you knew nothing of it's history or society, you still gave willingly. Continue to listen to the core of your spirit to guide you in such endeavors and you shall be wealthier than any Noble or brigand.

Until our paths cross once more,
Winterthorn Satyrsbane
Legatus Legionis to the Imperial Legions of the Pa'esh Willanwi Empire

Jehyu,

Iv it iz zuch a large problem darling I know Geisbadin iz ztill repairing from ze........'elp ov ze adventurez. Ze are in need ov repairing ze blackzmizing area and ze market plaze. Iv you find yourzelf in Barran again I vould zpeak viz ze Dutchess about making a donation for zem.

Just my bit ov advize dear. I 'ope to zee you zoon.

Lanna Rose

Jeyhu,

It be important you no let others mistake kindness and generous for chance of greed. When open flood gate of free potions, it be very hard for close and many get mad when you try and say bad things about you. Me experience this when me be master of potions, before me spirit change ritual. You need stand up for you strength and value of self as great crafter and demand other value you and honor you with at least cost for make crafts. If you need help enforce this value, me happy do this service for you.

-Cho Ko Nu
Master of Weapons

Back