What's a bard to do?

SDonahue

Hey everybody.

I'll be getting my feet wet with Alliance at HQ in April. I'm not sure if I want to PC or NPC my first event, but when I do create a PC I'm going to invest significantly in Craftsman (Bard). So I guess my question is, with four months to practice, what does everybody want to hear?

I've been an amateur singer/songwriter/flutist/guitarist since I was wee; so if the song is appropriate, I'm up for the challenge. Also, for anyone that's also musically inclined, I could invest some time in learning songs for which you may want accompaniment. Thanks!

~Steve

Steve,
Not sure what chapter you are going to be playing at, but I would suggest this as an awesome post to put on the OOG board for that specific chapter. (Not that it was inappropriate to post here as well, I'm always curious to learn game-appropriate songs myself and this is a great venue for that) It will get you interacting with people who you will be playing with, and will likely have the players at that chapter who play bardish-types comparing notes with you. Also you might want to check the specific chapter's rules for posting on the IG forums (usually stickied at the top) and post there as well. (Check if that's ok first, some chapters have rules against players posting IG without having a character in the database)
Hope this helped,
-toddo, HQ plot guy

A few songs that you can perform is great, but just plain "background music" is also appreciated. Everyone loves to listen to a bard in the tavern, but no one wants an hour long concert -- they would rather play the game, of course! Place your cap on the ground as you perform and collect the coins.

If you can get other musicians to join, all the better. Someone playing a drum can add a lot, and people may get up and dance too!

if you want to make friends quickly, learn Manowar songs. de-metal them, and play them at HQ. you will become very popular very quickly.

"Newry Highwayman"

In Newry Town I was bred and born
In Stephen's Green, now I die in scorn
I spent my time in the saddling trade
But I turned out to be
I turned out to be a roving blade.

Want more? I got lots! ;)

ChrisO

I've always enjoyed success with songs from Minstrels of Mayhem (ahem), Bedlam Bards, and the Gypsy Guerrilla Band. You can also swing period-fitting pieces from Clandestine and Steeleye Span.

Learn just enough of Greensleeves to know you'll never want to play it again. :D

Keep in mind that there's no need to invest heavily in craftsman bard. You can roleplay a bard / poet / thespian / whatever without a corresponding craftsmam skill. Now if you want those 2 silver don't let me dissuade you. But there's no need to spend build points to roleplay a certain way.

People without craftsman singer have won singing contests. People without craftman cardshark have won poker games, etc.

Diversifying would be a good idea. I will give it some thought.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've got a stock of ambient music that I've filtered from my regular repertoire; guitar standards, retooled contemporary stuff, and video games. I've got a handful of "performance pieces" for special occasions, but I'm not so greedy that I would distract people from playing the game ^_^. Keep the ideas coming, I like opportunities to broaden my horizons!

Just try not to be too anachronistic. Make sure your songs don't reference modern things or are too modern in style ("Long Tall Sally" done in acoustic guitar still will never sound medieval). There are tons of medieval songs on CD out there too, as anyone who has ever been to a Renaissance Faire knows.

Ok, so you're saying I can't play Queen's "Bicycle Race?"

But that song was the cornerstone of the whole character. It's the inspiration for his whole backstory... Aaaarghh!

Looks like it's back to the drawing board ^_^.

For a bard you should look at songs like easy classical pieces, medieval songs, and perhaps even looking at some New Age genre like Enya.

One thing also to stay away from are Christmas songs since there is no religion in the Alliance world.

Jim

Haha!

You know, in all honesty I have a hard time justifying that. Maybe it was a double post and I couldn't figure out how to delete it? I like to scatter mysteries like these everywhere I go, so if I ever need a distraction I have plenty of options?

I got nothing.

Back