When is the next really really long event?

Alavatar

Baron
A few years ago I had the pleasure of traveling out to Michigan for a week long event. While the weather was super hot, the location was extremely humid, and sleeping arrangements were far away from everyone (although being able to shower twice a day was a major blessing!), I and my friends had a good time, met some really nice people, made new friendships, and finally was able to put faces to names. The story was entertaining, the double hooking was a great way to unwind, the people were fun to play with, and rewards were well worth it! (Damned failed Wand ritual)

I would love to attend another week long event (or event of similar length) now that my finances are getting a little better under control. I would really like to meet some more of the people that I have only heard about, hear stories from the ones that made them instead of through the grape-vine, and adventure in far away lands! And I have been wanting to travel to other chapters for some time, but I have not been able to bring myself to pay for the airfare for just a weekend or long weekend event.

Are there any thoughts or plans on having another 5 or 7 day event in the next year or two? Anywhere?

Alavatar said:
A few years ago I had the pleasure of traveling out to Michigan for a week long event. While the weather was super hot, the location was extremely humid, and sleeping arrangements were far away from everyone (although being able to shower twice a day was a major blessing!), I and my friends had a good time, met some really nice people, made new friendships, and finally was able to put faces to names. The story was entertaining, the double hooking was a great way to unwind, the people were fun to play with, and rewards were well worth it! (Damned failed Wand ritual)

I would love to attend another week long event (or event of similar length) now that my finances are getting a little better under control. I would really like to meet some more of the people that I have only heard about, hear stories from the ones that made them instead of through the grape-vine, and adventure in far away lands! And I have been wanting to travel to other chapters for some time, but I have not been able to bring myself to pay for the airfare for just a weekend or long weekend event.

Are there any thoughts or plans on having another 5 or 7 day event in the next year or two? Anywhere?

If someone wants to run one at the Faire Play site, let me know, but I'm not volunteering! I did that once in my life and never again!

I would also be very interested in a game like this. But I know its a beast to try and manage.

I've also been looking for an excuse to go somewhere new and would be willing to help out with the finances for a 2012 summer (preferably late July or early August) 5-10 day event, especially if it was west of HQ.

Seven days was too much (yes, I was there.)
A five would be awesome, but seven, even discounting the weather/site conditions, was just too much.

I've been tempted but the upfront expense can be quite large and you would need a solid commitment or expectation for people to come.

Honestly I think that if there was enough fair warning there would be a whole crap ton of people who would commit to something like this months in advance.

What does it cost to get a camp for 5 days or a week? I would imagine that the weekdays are way cheaper than weekends... Anyway I'm sure there are a few people willing to donate money to make it happen.
Lurin said:
I've been tempted but the upfront expense can be quite large and you would need a solid commitment or expectation for people to come.

James Trotta said:
What does it cost to get a camp for 5 days or a week? I would imagine that the weekdays are way cheaper than weekends... Anyway I'm sure there are a few people willing to donate money to make it happen.
Lurin said:

Depending upon where you go and what you can get, I'd say that a downpayment for a full week would be around 1-2 grand. A full week of a BSA camp here (Bay Area, California) would cost around 10k.

Yeah, Cali's not really the place for it. Overhead out there is a killer. :) Honestly, it seems like something that would be well-suited to a midwest chapter, but none of us around here really have the sort of playerbase that would pay for an event that size if the rest of the world didn't show up. ;)

I had a lot of fun playing the week-long event... it's a totally different experience when you stop being worried about time and having to go home soon, and instead really "live" in the game world. Totally cool.

That said, I can only imagine how much Matt and Bev probably wanted to either shoot one of us, or shoot themselves, after an entire week of running plot for a bunch of crazy jackaloons - and we were a relatively small group. It takes a HUGE amount of work and dedication to pull off a normal event, and a week long event is basically that times three.

I'd love to support any chapter crazy enough to do it, though! :D

James Trotta said:
Lurin said:

Actually when I've looked into it alot of camps want more not less for weekday events depending on the timing. The boy scout camps we use for example generally already have rangers on site near-by for exisiting campers so having them 'swing by' our section is no large inconvience as opposed to having to fill a weekday with volunteers. Still maybe this is something we'll look at hosting in Minnesota in 2011, perhaps with buy in from one or two other plot teams to run a round robin type plot (ie all would npc/run plot over the weekend, but differnt folks would be 'in charge' of plot at differnt times so others could crunchy/relax)

Lurin said:
(ie all would npc/run plot over the weekend, but differnt folks would be 'in charge' of plot at differnt times so others could crunchy/relax)
You, sir, haven't seen what I do to those NPCs have you? I sure hope you mean crunchy/relax as two separate options.

Lol usually those are seperate options, but sometimes it seems like the same thing to me, especially after running more complicated plot.

I would love to play at a week long event! I have heard so many good things about them.

Well if any chapter wants my financial support, they can pm me and we can try to work it out. The biggest catch is that I have to be able to attend the event and since I live in Korea timing is an issue. But I'm thinking summer 2012, mid-July to mid August.

Morganne said:
That said, I can only imagine how much Matt and Bev probably wanted to either shoot one of us, or shoot themselves, after an entire week of running plot for a bunch of crazy jackaloons - and we were a relatively small group. It takes a HUGE amount of work and dedication to pull off a normal event, and a week long event is basically that times three.

Heh :D I lean more toward the shooting myself. At the beginning when someone suggested that we hold a weeklong I thought it was a crazy idea. We looked into a weeklong rental at our camp, got some geat feedback and the relationship we took the time to develop with them helped (they cut us a few financial breaks). There were many issues: a generator for meager power at tavern, hauling ice to site for refrigeration of food, the NPC tent getting drenched and waterlogged one minute and getting so hot that it nearly destroyed our weapon stock, sleeping arrangements and etc. But even with all of that and going crazy at the time, I really look back at that time with very fond memories. I got to hang and roll with a great bunch of people from around the country (east and west coast).

Although, I am not prepared to do another event longer than an extended until I have secured a permanent site. That will cut out almost all of the problems I had with the first one.

Matt

byersmatthew said:
Heh :D I lean more toward the shooting myself. At the beginning when someone suggested that we hold a weeklong I thought it was a crazy idea. We looked into a weeklong rental at our camp, got some geat feedback and the relationship we took the time to develop with them helped (they cut us a few financial breaks). There were many issues: a generator for meager power at tavern, hauling ice to site for refrigeration of food, the NPC tent getting drenched and waterlogged one minute and getting so hot that it nearly destroyed our weapon stock, sleeping arrangements and etc. But even with all of that and going crazy at the time, I really look back at that time with very fond memories. I got to hang and roll with a great bunch of people from around the country (east and west coast).

Although, I am not prepared to do another event longer than an extended until I have secured a permanent site. That will cut out almost all of the problems I had with the first one.

Matt

To be honest, over here on the West Coast, we still speak fondly of the double-hooking some of us did as the Jamesson brothers removing the Shadow Taint! And the story about the light red sock and how Polare got a fey to pay him to know what it was!

A long long time ago I played the HQ week long followed immediately by the Avendale (pre-split) weekend. 10 days of Nero straight. I think I forgot my real name by the end of it. It was a great time! Logistics periods where you could spend build during the week, crazy plots.. days and days of game. Very intense. I'd do it again.

Back