Yin Yong a problem?

Ithra

i was wondering, i was thinking of using the Yin Yong symbol here and there for my costume for a future character and i already have this book covering i wanted to use as a recipe book that has the symbol on it and i was wondering if people might find it as a problem

i was thinking it might because in some places its used as a religous symbol although for my character all it would be is a concept, an idea of balance and how 2 very different things together can create balance and be stronger together because of there differences and things like that.

but i thought i should ask incase someone out there would get upset over something like that.

In reality a Yin Yang symbol is more associated with martial arts than a religion, so I wouldn't think it would be something of concern.

I would say this is a problem, as Taoism is a major religion often practiced in conjunction with Buddhism. Although not as prevalent in the United States, it is huge in other parts of the world, especially in China and eastern Asia. It is as clear of a religious symbol as the cross, star of David, crescent moon, or any other major world religious symbol.

From page 14 of the Rule Book:

One of the quickest ways to get your character
history rejected is to draw too heavily on
religion or religious themes. Many people decide
to name their characters after obscure pagan
gods or lightly gild a myth for their character
histories. This is not appreciated, and sometimes
it can be offensive.
The Alliance attempts to remain religion
free as much as possible, and we do not wish to
add elements that would offend anyone. This is
especially problematic, for many people consider
much of folklore to be fair game, but unknowingly
and ignorantly trod over religions
that are actively practiced (in particular paganism)
because they mirror fantasy gaming. While
it’s less likely to cause a problem in a tabletop
game, with more people playing in a LARP you
have to keep in mind there are more things that
can be offensive to a larger number of players.

I'd say, if it's on something that's going to get displayed, no, don't do it.

Expounding on the no religion clause in the rulebook, when it comes to symbols that have readily or easily recognized out of game significance, if it's something you intend to display or use frequently (such as a book that you're writing notes in, or a shield) it's just better in general to avoid the issue.

There's clearly some leeway; there has to be. If there weren't, we wouldn't be able to have characters with names like Michael, or Catherine, nor would we have such creatures as harpies, golems, or unicorns in our monster database.

Keep in mind that there's also a potential disruption in immersion a Yin Yang symbol might cause. While the eastern religions are certainly less-than-modern, the symbol's use and appearance in western culture is much, much more recent. There's potential for it to be seen as too anachronistic for a game that has a generally european medieval feel/setting to it.

If you want to incorporate a balance theme to the character, I'd recommend exploring ways to do so without using such a symbol. Maybe even create your own!

a few good balance/yin yang type symbols can be made & still reflect a similar representation without using the actual yin yang symbols.

6289-yin-yang-fish-chinese-painting-detail.jpg

johnny_automatic_yin_yang_horses.gif

Fgxc6.jpg

yeah i see your point, and now that you mention it that idea of making my own symbol for my character sounds great! now question is what to do... hhmm i'll have to put some thought into that

The prevalence with which I see players use Tibetan prayer flags makes me think that a a yin-yang symbol would be acceptable. That said, I highly encourage finding your own iconography, simply because personalizing stuff is that much cooler.

Little known fact: Taoism is a philosophy, not a religion. There are no religious claims (deities, special prayers, supernatural entities) in pure Taoism. Read the Tao Te Ching and Zuangze, and you will find no religious claims either.

Banning Taoism and associated symbols would be less fitting for a game like this than banning atheism and associated symbols, which is the religious belief that there is no God and/or supernatural realm.

iWolfe said:
Little known fact: Taoism is a philosophy, not a religion. There are no religious claims (deities, special prayers, supernatural entities) in pure Taoism. Read the Tao Te Ching and Zuangze, and you will find no religious claims either.

Banning Taoism and associated symbols would be less fitting for a game like this than banning atheism and associated symbols, which is the religious belief that there is no God and/or supernatural realm.

Some parts of Taoism is based on a philosophy yes, however the deities of the religion are based on concepts and ancestors. The worship is not as structured as say Christianity or Judaism but those two religions are more structured then most of the others. For example my own religion encourages that each practitioner write their own prayers so that they include a peice of your own energies.

For reference here are some Taoist deities: http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/gods.html

To the original question:
I personally don't mind religion in LARPs, I could take it or leave it. However, since Alliance in particular does not allow it I wouldn't see this symbol as being allowed anymore then a pentacle, cross or Star of David.

The problem with this topic, IMHO, is that some tings which are inherently religious make it through while others don't. So I believe the section of the rulebook should say something like "easily recognizable" symbols or some caveat like that.

Taoism has both a philosophical school and a religious sect. The two are not the same, but both are called Taoism and use the same symbols because the founder of the religion was first a follower of the philosophy.

To the OP, I would take JP's advice.

Ithra said:
yeah i see your point, and now that you mention it that idea of making my own symbol for my character sounds great! now question is what to do... hhmm i'll have to put some thought into that

If you need some help, feel free to drop me a line. I do a few graphic things for Goal Line Blitz players: football field designs, logos, avatars, etc.

the main "anti-religious" issue in Alliance is only when it makes people uncomfortable: religious zealotry, opposing religious doctrine, "my Gods are better than yours", that kinda stuff. so, really, unless someone has a serious issue with a Yin Yang symbol, go for it. in some respects, the opposing forces represented in Yin Yang is about spot on for many character's belief in opposition between Earth and Chaos - so, really, you could just integrate it into the common beliefs already prevailing within the game and be spot on. besides, figures expressing balance between forces is intrinsic to just about every belief both secular and sacred. look anywhere and you'll see 'em: Blind Lady Justice with Scales ¿anyone?

Mobius said:
the main "anti-religious" issue in Alliance is only when it makes people uncomfortable: religious zealotry, opposing religious doctrine, "my Gods are better than yours", that kinda stuff. so, really, unless someone has a serious issue with a Yin Yang symbol, go for it...

Its more of..."hey if they can have a religious symbol why can't I have the one I want?"

You should ALWAYS error on the side of caution.

Mobius said:
the main "anti-religious" issue in Alliance is only when it makes people uncomfortable: religious zealotry, opposing religious doctrine, "my Gods are better than yours", that kinda stuff. so, really, unless someone has a serious issue with a Yin Yang symbol, go for it. in some respects, the opposing forces represented in Yin Yang is about spot on for many character's belief in opposition between Earth and Chaos - so, really, you could just integrate it into the common beliefs already prevailing within the game and be spot on. besides, figures expressing balance between forces is intrinsic to just about every belief both secular and sacred. look anywhere and you'll see 'em: Blind Lady Justice with Scales ¿anyone?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here but I could do a similar thing with any religious symbol. For example, say that I wore an obviously Christian cross on a tabard and made a character who wanted to climb to knighthood. I could then say the top of the cross was representative of my father who was a knight before me and I looked up to, the bottom represented me his son who was going to climb the ladder to be a true and honorable man like him and supporting me on my journey to the top were the spirits of my ancestors who came before me.

I have completely integrated the symbol into the game world and I have also removed the whole concept of religion from the symbol, however it is still completely recognizable as the symbol and from across the field I might look like a Crusader or Paladin type character.

Inaryn said:
Expounding on the no religion clause in the rulebook, when it comes to symbols that have readily or easily recognized out of game significance, if it's something you intend to display or use frequently (such as a book that you're writing notes in, or a shield) it's just better in general to avoid the issue.

Make your own symbols. Really.

Just because you *can* remove the religious significance from a symbol, does not mean that Joe new-guy who's never met you in or out of game is going to know your cross for anything but a religious symbol.

And we're off! Religion you tricky topic of debate.

well i've pretty much got it figured out for what i'll do, doing an edited version of a yin yang symbol sounds alot cooler then just taking it, that way i can make it fit my character better and i can turn it into the symbol of my character along with for some characters of his back story.

only way this will effect me now is what will i do with my book? the symbol is only this small handle on it so its not too noticable. but if needed i guess i could paint over it or something

Worst come to worst, grab some Testers model enamels and just change the color of it. :)

Back